Stupid question, how do you determine windows up time?

Neo_Cloud_99

Limp Gawd
As long as i've been using computers I cant remember how you can determine how long windows has been up since your last restart. I tried searching yahoo but couldnt find anything. Argh.

Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Information. I just checked my system and it doesn't show there anymore (it used to!!!). If you are really concerned with it, I can email you a 1KB batch file that shows you just that. LMK. Try the system information thing first and let me know if yours shows. Thanks!

If you have a network adapter installed on your Windows XP computer...
Go to - Control Panel, Network Connections, Local Area Connection
On the "General" tab, it states your adapter's Duration. Which should be the same as your computer's uptime.

Seems like there should be one included in XP Pro at least, and I could have sworn I saw it on this box before. That's how I wrote the batch file for it... Anyway, you can go here and see if that is something like what you want, too. I don't know if there is a compatibility issue, so use at your own risk! BTW, I could drop the huge batch file code in here in under 100 characters! NM, I will...

at echo
at systeminfo | @find "System Up Time:"
at echo
at pause

Replace the "at " with the @ symbol and save as a *.bat file from notepad. Then you can run it anytime you feel like. Do it up.

Originally posted by corrosive23
C:\>uptime
\\INFERNO has been up for: 0 day(s), 0 hour(s), 16 minute(s), 33 second(s)

That command only works if you've downloaded it from MS website or have one of the resource kits installed.

SJ, have you seen the uptime counter in system information applet before? I used to show it, but now it is gone. Just wondering if I am cracked out or what.

Yes I know exactly where you mean it used to show it in system information. I guess they took that out in windows 2000 or something? blah

SJ, how do you run this script? I know alot about computers and how they work etc. but I dont know jack about programing or this kind of shit, lol.

Originally posted by NoXPert
SJ, have you seen the uptime counter in system information applet before? I used to show it, but now it is gone. Just wondering if I am cracked out or what.

I've never actually looked for it there as I have always used a script or resource kit tool to calculate the uptime. Since I support quite a few business clients, I try to automate as much information gathering as possible.

I checked a few Win2K and XP machines but could not find what you are describing, although if you go to the command line and type systeminfo, one of the fields is system uptime.

SJ, how do you run this script? I know alot about computers and how they work etc. but I dont know jack about programing or this kind of shit, lol. [/B]

Copy the script into notepad and save it with a VBS extension. Then you can either double click it or run it from CLI. It will display a small window with the number of hours the system has been up.

Originally posted by Zwitterion
It would make sense to have an 'uptime' command. One doesn't exist? Weird!
Microsoft has one you can download. It is for 2000/XP systems.
Uptime

Back