Stupid question about Vid card --> HDTV

Technoob

Supreme [H]ardness
Just for context, I haven't bought a video card in this century.

When these new cards say they are HDTV compatible, or connect to an HDTV, what is the connector? Is it HDMI?

It's DVI, though there are HDMI flavours of the x1600.

DVI is fine though, as all HDTVs allow DVI input, and HDMI basically = DVI + Audio.

My TV has the following connection ports:

1 x HDMI (19 pin HDMI Type A) - Rear,
3 x Audio line-in (RCA phono x 2) - Rear,
2 x S-Video input (4 pin mini-DIN) - Rear,
2 x Composite video/audio input (RCA phono x 3) - Rear,
2 x HD component input (RCA phono x 3) - Rear,
1 x Fixed/variable audio output (RCA phono x 2) - Rear,
1 x Digital audio output (coaxial) (RCA phono) - Rear,
1 x Composite video/audio input (RCA phono x 3) - Front,
1 x S-Video input (4 pin mini-DIN) - Front

If I bought, say a 8800gts which newegg says has:

Ports
DVI 2
TV-Out HDTV / S-Video/Composite Out
VIVO No

What cord exactly would I need to connect them in order to get both audio and video? I guess my confusion is mostly over the "HDTV" tv out connection that many of these cards tout.

God damn that's an assload of connectors. My TV has like half of that.

What HDTV do you have?

You're gonna want to get a DVI -> HDMI video cable. One actually came with my TV (Mitsubish 52" LCD RP), but I didn't know it at the time and went and bought a $25 one at Wal-Mart.

It works great really, I haven't used it as much as I thought though (pain in the ass to move my PC in there and stuff >_>)

WoW there are a few there but I also have an optical input and out and a serial bus don't ask I have no Idea what that is for on the set. Its very nice.

HD widescreen is great.:D :p

You're gonna want to get a DVI -> HDMI video cable. One actually came with my TV (Mitsubish 52" LCD RP), but I didn't know it at the time and went and bought a $25 one at Wal-Mart.

It works great really, I haven't used it as much as I thought though (pain in the ass to move my PC in there and stuff >_>)

Thanks. My TV is right near my PC and so when looking to upgrade, I'd like to have the option to use the TV as a monitor for viewing certain files.

My TV has the following connection ports:

1 x HDMI (19 pin HDMI Type A) - Rear,
3 x Audio line-in (RCA phono x 2) - Rear,
2 x S-Video input (4 pin mini-DIN) - Rear,
2 x Composite video/audio input (RCA phono x 3) - Rear,
2 x HD component input (RCA phono x 3) - Rear,
1 x Fixed/variable audio output (RCA phono x 2) - Rear,
1 x Digital audio output (coaxial) (RCA phono) - Rear,
1 x Composite video/audio input (RCA phono x 3) - Front,
1 x S-Video input (4 pin mini-DIN) - Front

If I bought, say a 8800gts which newegg says has:

Ports
DVI 2
TV-Out HDTV / S-Video/Composite Out
VIVO No

What cord exactly would I need to connect them in order to get both audio and video? I guess my confusion is mostly over the "HDTV" tv out connection that many of these cards tout.

On TV: "HD component input (RCA phono x 3)" + on Video Card "TV-Out HDTV" = HDTV. You can hook it up fine, and go to those HDTV resolutions all you want

I have the 960 with the SFP tube, and I wasn't too impressed when I hooked up the computer. The movies and 360, on the other hand, look spectacular.

I have the 960 with the SFP tube, and I wasn't too impressed when I hooked up the computer. The movies and 360, on the other hand, look spectacular.

I don't plan on gaming on it really, mostly viewing my divx files and so forth.

i used one of these from startech to connect my 8800 to my Sony Grand Wega. It's so quick and easy, im shocked this cable doesn't come with your video card when you buy it.

Back