Stupid question about the 2600XT

Sikpupi

Limp Gawd
Hi,

I am about to order one of these for my HTPC to replace the 7950GT. Just reading the specs and I am confused about this.

Integrated HD audio controller with multi-channel (5.1) AC3 support, enabling a plug-and-play cable-less audio solution

Does that mean my sound card will be redundant? There is actually audio processor built onto the videocard? Feel free to slap me if I am reading this wrong.

Hi,

I am about to order one of these for my HTPC to replace the 7950GT. Just reading the specs and I am confused about this.

Integrated HD audio controller with multi-channel (5.1) AC3 support, enabling a plug-and-play cable-less audio solution

Does that mean my sound card will be redundant? There is actually audio processor built onto the videocard? Feel free to slap me if I am reading this wrong.

*slaps you* Actually I dont know if you're wrong or not, but slapping is fun.

I am also interested to know whether or not it processes audio. It makes sense, as if it can do HDMI, this includes audio as well.

You'll be fine using your video card. What they are talking about is that is has those capabilities through HDMI.

The question is not stupid at all and there are many that are afraid to ask. It will do audio pass through over an HDMI cable. The card can not do anything other than normal Dolby digital, DTS or stereo PCM. Also note that most of the people at AVSForum that have had a previously purchased DVI/HDMI adapter have not been able to get the sound to work because the adapters were wired for video only. I would look for a 2600 that includes a DVI/HDMI adapter in the box.

Back