Stupid question about pictures on my iPhone

Liver

Supreme [H]ardness
I want to transfer all the pictures to my MBP and then delete all the pictures off my phone.

I don’t want to lose any pictures. Everytime I click don’t synch pictures it says it’ll says something about replacing pictures. Blah blah blah.

I just want all the pictures on my computer. That’s all.

I’m running out of space and don’t want a new phone this year. I’ll get it next year.

Edit. I know I’m being a freak about it. Too many baby pictures to risk losing.

Do you use iCloud? You get the first 5GB free. It is quite convenient as a backup.

Do you use iCloud? You get the first 5GB free. It is quite convenient as a backup.

I do and I actually have 50 gigs. However I have more than that in pictures. Kids. All kids.

EDIT: I completely misunderstood your post, so I have started again.

I used to use my mac mini to backup my iphones photos, but after some difficulty retrieving photos from iPhotos, I stopped using it. Now, I use my windows PC, and use the MTP USB connection (just a regular USB connection where the iphone shows up as a media device with storage). I copy the photos to my PC, after which I delete the photos on my phone via iOS (while the PC will see a storage device, it usually is read-only, so I cannot delete photos on the phone via the PC).

Last edited:
Try Image Capture. The last time I used it, I could import photos from the iPhone and there was an option to delete from the iPhone as well.

Let me get this straight.

1. Use Photos app (the one that comes with OSX) and import all the photos off the phone.
2. Use iTunes to delete all the photos after?

I do back up my photos to my laptop and then from the laptop to a Synology device. I admit it’s been a couple of years since I’ve done that. Then I tried to do it again and it was “hard” to find the folder in OS X. So I easily gave up.

Now that my phone is almost full, I’m revisiting the issue.

I should have been more proactive.

Let me get this straight.

1. Use Photos app (the one that comes with OSX) and import all the photos off the phone.
2. Use iTunes to delete all the photos after?

I do back up my photos to my laptop and then from the laptop to a Synology device. I admit it’s been a couple of years since I’ve done that. Then I tried to do it again and it was “hard” to find the folder in OS X. So I easily gave up.

Now that my phone is almost full, I’m revisiting the issue.

I should have been more proactive.
1: yes
2: noooooo Itunes is really only used to put things ON the phone from the computer and for localized backups

Use photos or image capture to import all photos and delete them off your phone.
Doing a backup with itunes wouldnt be a bad idea just in case something goes wrong, but if you are on limited storage space, expect that you might not be able to or that you will run out of space until the backup is deleted.

How I would do this:

Plug phone into computer.
Open iTunes*
Backup phone*
open Photos app
import all photos to computer and let it sort and organize them
delete photos off phone
unplug phone
back up computer to another hard drive and/or online backup solution
Take more sexy photos and videos of self until phone is full again

*these steps are optional, but highly recommended.

How do I delete all the pictures?

I’m also hoping it’ll improve the performance of my phone. Specifically not being so choppy. I have a 6 plus. Completely updated.

I don’t want an X, but I may get an 8 in 2018.

I see a lot of complicated suggestions here.

For pictures all you've got to do is plug the thing into your computer and the pictures area of the phone is mounted as a drive anyways in Windows. Copy/Paste all the pictures and enjoy your USB 2.0 transfer rates. Then just delete them from the folder itself, or on the phone. It's that easy.

For pictures all you've got to do is plug the thing into your computer and the pictures area of the phone is mounted as a drive anyways in Windows. Copy/Paste all the pictures and enjoy your USB 2.0 transfer rates. Then just delete them from the folder itself, or on the phone. It's that easy.

Not for iPhones...

I don’t have a windows computer anymore. Nothing to do with windows. I am moving and a desktop (my windows machine) didn’t make the cut. Sold it.

How do I delete all the pictures?

I’m also hoping it’ll improve the performance of my phone. Specifically not being so choppy. I have a 6 plus. Completely updated.

I don’t want an X, but I may get an 8 in 2018.
If using photos it should ask if you want to delete after import. If using Image capture, after import highlight all the photos and hit the delete key )or shift+delete)

I wonder if I did it right. I synched the phone. Then used Photo to import all.

Then used image capture to delete them all.

It seems like the phone is faster. Seems.

This is correct, but make sure the phone is NOT sitting at the lock screen or the DCIM folder will not appear. Log into the phone before connecting it.

I literally just did what I posted yesterday and it still works just fine.

I don’t see why MacOS would be any different from how the drive is mounted.
It’s because the MacOS knows it’s an iPhone, so it treats it different than a camera. It doesn’t show up in a finder window to allow you to browse through it. That’s not even really how the MacOS is intended to work.

The MacOS has the user rely on doing things through the Apps, much like on the iPhone and iPad how you don’t really have a file explorer. Because you should be doing everything through your dedicated app and let it help you manage things, where as windows basically just gives you a giant file,cabinet and says “do what ever the fuck you want”

To do this on the fly, I use Google Photos app. Backup all the photos to Google, you need to set up an account, and then delete them off the phone. I also have an iPhone6s. Then on you PC, you can go to Google and choose what you want to download to your PC.

Back