Stupid Question about installing Win ME/ 2Kpro

CrimandEvil

Dick with a heart of gold
My friend has been having trouble with her version of 98SE, FAT was corrupted now it gives me different problem, she has a copy of ME and I have a Dell restore CD with Win2kPro but I have XP home. I have her HD now and was wondering if I can install 2kPro while I'm in XP? I tried booting off the CD but that doesn't work since it's a restore CD I guess.

The safe way to do the install is running it with the hard disc in the PC that it will be used in, but if you cannot do this then you will have to boot from some disc or CD to install to the disc. You can't run it from within XP, it will just be seen as an upgrade (or downgrade) if you try to run it.

You can try upgrading her Win98 SE to ME. This is only for data backup. I would not keep WinME on ANY PC for extended ammounts of time. It's just about the worts OS M$ ever came out with. You can NOT install Win2K off of a restore CD. Restore CD's are meant ONLY for the PC's they came with. There may be a remote (!!!) posibility that it will work on her PC, but then you'll have to deal with a bunch ov driver issues and such. Not worth the time. WinXP is the way to go. Upgrade or better yet, clean format and install...... FAT corruption should be fixed while upgrading to XP with coversion to NTFS.
Good luck.

Mike

Back