Stupid-ish Question... Have Dual Setup.. Can I Go Triple?

seaneboy

Limp Gawd
Ok, so here at work, I have a Dell Optiplex 390, with a Radeon HD6350, that has a wire come out and split into (2) monitors.. It's probably displayport into VGA.
Anyway, I have another monitor I was thinking of adding.. Can I plug that directly into the motherboard VGA out? There's no other outs coming off the video card, only the motherboard.

Maybe. Probably.

Steal a monitor from a co-worker and try it before you commit.

If it is similar to the Dell's we have in our office then once you plug into the motherboard it tries to disable the add-in video card. Dell site states that your system has 1 HDMI with optional DVI dongle and a VGA port not sure if that is with or without the ATI video card. Suggest doing what Doubletap suggested and borrow a monitor to test.

Maybe. Probably.

Steal a monitor from a co-worker and try it before you commit.

Hah, yeah, well I actually bought one for $40 off someone, same monitor as the other two! I had to pounce.. Love these professional (landscape to portrait option!) models..

If it is similar to the Dell's we have in our office then once you plug into the motherboard it tries to disable the add-in video card. Dell site states that your system has 1 HDMI with optional DVI dongle and a VGA port not sure if that is with or without the ATI video card. Suggest doing what Doubletap suggested and borrow a monitor to test.

I took a crack at it, figured how hard could it be.. Sure enough, I got the warning in dos, and changed setup to 'enable multi monitor'.. That must've done something (I think) because I was then able to startup and show desktop on all (3)... Awesome man!
Now, I find myself spending wayy too much damn time figuring out what to put on what monitor.. And, moving things back and forth.
One issue I've noticed is the original monitors had a much better color layout. Of course, due to video card. But, then once I started looking at the newly added monitor, I started thinking that the old monitors had messed up colors... LOL.
All are still on factory settings, however I'm slowly getting used to it.
I also can only stagger them in an odd setup for now, first left monitor is closer, second is a step back, third is a bit further.. But, I already have one of these on the way that will solve that problem.

Thanks for the help guys. Got it! So pumped for triple monitor ultimate hotness!! Now I can have a quote spreadsheet open on one, product info on the second, and email on the third! Epic productivity...

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back