Stupid GPU Offloading Question

NotSoSimple

[H]F Junkie
Just got my first HTPC together and working somewhat properly. I am using XBMC and am unsure if it is offloading HD content to my GPU. What is the easiest way to tell?

Specs for reference:
Intel C2D 2.4GHz
2GB DDR3
Radeon HD 5570

If the GPU clocks up and gets hot. Otherwise, I thought XBMC didn't do GPU acceleration outside of the nightlies, yet? (my info is about 2 months old, however :().

If the GPU clocks up and gets hot. Otherwise, I thought XBMC didn't do GPU acceleration outside of the nightlies, yet? (my info is about 2 months old, however :().

2nd dumb question> How to check GPU load while in XBMC playing a vid?

Use GPU-z or something similar, and check "monitor in backgroung" or something to that effect on the tab with all the graphs. And it will let you know if the GPU is being used. HOWEVER, for AMD cards, unless if you are using shader effects, you will not know.

The reciprocol way to tell is to check your CPU useage when the video is playing.

Use GPU-z or something similar, and check "monitor in backgroung" or something to that effect on the tab with all the graphs. And it will let you know if the GPU is being used. HOWEVER, for AMD cards, unless if you are using shader effects, you will not know.

The reciprocol way to tell is to check your CPU useage when the video is playing.

Thanks. I am assuming the CPU will be close to maxed out if not 100% utilization, correct?

Otherwise, I thought XBMC didn't do GPU acceleration outside of the nightlies, yet? (my info is about 2 months old, however :().

Hardware acceleration became available for the official Windows build with the release of Dharma (10.0) back in December (?) 2010. :)

Hardware acceleration became available for the official Windows build with the release of Dharma (10.0) back in December (?) 2010. :)

Nice, I am running the newest release of Dharma so I should be covered. Thanks guys.

If using a keyboard, you can press the "O" key while a video is playing to access the OSD. This includes CPU usage stats and also the codec that is being used for playback.

If your CPU is sitting around 0-10% on HD material, you're definitely offloading to the GPU. You may also be able to tell from the codec (e.g. on Linux/Live, if the codec includes "vdpau" then you're offloading to an nVidia card).

I will have to hook up the keyboard, or maybe program a soft button on the Harmony. Good trick, thanks.

Back