Stupid FedEx Driver of the Day

Not the smartest thing to say, but a felony terrorism charge?

Well, saying you have a bomb is probably automatically some type of terrorism charge, and there's no such thing as a misdemeanor terrorism charge. ;)

Just because they charged him with something lofty doesn't mean he'll actually get it. There's probably nothing else that quite fits what went on there.

It's a military base, they probably order bombs all the time. [/sarcasm]

Seriously though, send this guy to Guantanamo and execute all the memebers of his family, just in case. [/still sarcasm]

Actually we should get the TSA to screen every UPS delivery. [/I can't stop]

pretty sure they cut out US citizens from NDAA 2012 in the indefinite detainment clause.

No, not really. The wording still can classify you as a combatant or belligerent. The whole thing is a mess of "grey areas" that are bound to be screwed with. We're in no real war, but they have this nice scary catch-phrase calling it a "war on terror", so they get to expand totalitarian-style powers for everyone's "safety".

Big load of crap.

I wonder if he had said that it's "probably not a bomb" would have gotten the same reaction.

Sorry I see nothing wrong with cracking a joke, it's probably even likely the guy has delivered there many times and felt he knew the guys well enough to crack such a joke. The real issue here is whoever the guard/recipient is being an idiot and taking something obviously a joke and passing it on with sirens blaring, without context. Here is what should have gone through the guards mind:

*Oh shit he said BOMB
*Wait, why would the Fedex guy know what's in there?
*If he did know a bomb was in there, why would he come out and admit it?
*Why did he say "probably", I mean either he knows it's a bomb and will keep quiet or he has no clue.
*I am dumb for even thinking it was a bomb, I need to chill the fuck out

I have it on pretty good authority that people on military installations have senses of humor that are similar to people not on military installations. After all, such people are merely a snippet of the broader society with all its shortcomings.

[RIP]Zeus;1038311830 said:
For all those who are saying the "military ha sno sense of humor" you have no idea about anything that functions on a military base.

First, the military as a ZERO TOLERANCE for such actions or words, and he is very lucky he wasn't shot dead.

Second, We do have a sense of humor, but when someone says "it's a bomb", we action according to our training so that we do get killed. If you have ever been deployed you know what I mean.

If this jackass said shit like that on the base I am on, he would be shot dead. We do not fuck around with shit like that.

"STUPID, Very fucking STUPID"

I will just respond to you both since neither of you comprehended what I wrote.

1) I do know how a military base works, I spent 4 years on one working in an extremely high security area.

2) I was not referring to peoples general sense of humor and both of you know it.

3) We didn't find anything in relation to bombs and other threats even remotely funny before 9-11 and I suspect that it is even less so post.

Either learn to read or don't take peoples statements intentionally out of context, it just makes you look like a jackass.

That was the wrong place to make that joke. I was in the Navy and if someone came in and said that, we would have gone into lock down and started destroying millions of dollars worth of sensitive equipment. If he were to do that somewhere near more sensitive things like at Tinker for instance, he would have been shot before he could set the package down.

If you thought tossing a monitor over a fence was stupid, how about causing the evacuation of hundreds of people on an Army base because you thought "it's probably a bomb" was a funny thing to say. :eek:

I went into FedEx the other day and told them my package was fragile. They asked if it was well enough packed to drop off the counter, and this was a high counter. If not they will open it up and repackage it with a packaging fee. I just looked them like this :eek: Needless to say after reading about that monitor incident UPS got my business that day and the package arrived in great shape.

I doubt the guy will get much more than an employment termination and possible fine. Stupid thing to do, but he doesn't really deserve much jailtime.

Did he yell "Fire" in a crowded theater or did he whisper a question of it? But terrorism charges? Really?

Personally I think it was and is a complete overreaction for a simple joke. He should have just told her it was her new 12" dildo... But would probably end up facing sexual harassment charges instead. Sometimes I really think it would be better to never talk to anyone else, or replace everyone with robots since they can't take a joke or think about thinks before taking extreme actions. Think before you leap.. On both sides. He's a dumbass, but so is someone blindly following orders without thinking for themselves IMO...

People need to...
A. Get a sense of humor
B. Get a brain
End of story.

What kind of terrorist is going to dress in a FedEx outfit and then tell you a bomb is actually a bomb?

Stupid people!!!

Why would you assume it was a threat, anyway? Someone in the base could have ordered the bomb! I mean, that makes as much sense as thinking that the delivery guy would know he is deliverying a bomb, and is happy to tell people about it.

On the other hand, I suppose there is some merit to training people to react without thinking in the military, painful as it is to consider it. Not thinking saves valuable time that in a dangerous scenario could save lives.

That said, going as far as evacuating a base without stoping a moment to analyze the situation is dumb even with that provision. I mean, there's a bomb threat at the entrance, so you evacuate the people in the safe zone inside so they can be exposed to whatever other threats are outside? In what universe does this make the slightest bit of sense?

And how would shooting a guy that makes a bomb threat help? If he had a dead man's switch you just detonated the bomb before other people could find cover, congrats. Bomb threats seem like the kind of situation where you have to be very careful and consider everything before acting, not act without thinking.

In copnclusion, I have to go with my initial reaction that the military overeacted, and the charges are a ridiculous waste. The delivery guy should have been reprimanded for his lack of sense, not have felony charges.

Of course, they're not going to do anything to the idiot who overeacted.

Let him off and forget about it.

Stupid waste of time and money for everyone involved.

Send him, his family, and friends to guantanamo, need more tsa, need more money to budget for homeland security, need more departments, need more training...THREAT LEVEL MIDNIGHT PEOPLE!

Somewhere within al queda there is an email being forwarded around with this story and the text "Lol lol lol gj" included.

The guy was just charged with a felony and terrorism. Nothing in the news so far indicates it was anything but a joke or that he did anything that made it seem real or actually try to scare someone. It may have been stupid, but since when is stupidity (when you weren't actually trying to hurt anyone, that is, and in this case actually did not hurt anyone) a crime that deserves your life to essentially be executed? Unless there is more facts we do not know, shouldn't there be a Hardforum outcry over this? Certainly a more dangerous precedent than anything SOPA/PIPA or whatever they are called.

The article, which I'm guessing you didn't read:

A FedEx driver who allegedly said a package was "probably a bomb" as he delivered it to an Army base is now facing a felony terrorism threat charge.

Military police evacuated 215 people from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers trailer at 17800 South Camp Williams Road and the surrounding area after an employee overheard the comment, according to charges filed Wednesday in 3rd District Court.

In happened on Sept. 20, when a woman asked the 27-year-old Salt Lake City delivery man what was in the package addressed to an Army Corps of Engineers employee.

He replied: "It’s probably a bomb," prosecutors wrote. The delivery man later told police he made the comment "by mistake," according to charging documents.

The delivery man was charged Wednesday with one count of threat of terrorism, a third-degree felony.

Lindsay Whitehurst

Lindsay Whitehurst and/or her editor are apparently dumbasses who put "terrorism" in place of "terroristic". I'm not gonna bother to look up Utah state statutes on threats, but I'm guessing the felonious aspect stems from the fact that at least one person was in imminent fear of death and/or great bodily harm, and also from the fact that a mass evacuation was conducted, causing a sizeable monetary loss in the process.

I could just be jumping to conclusions, though...:rolleyes:

The article, which I'm guessing you didn't read:

A FedEx driver who allegedly said a package was "probably a bomb" as he delivered it to an Army base is now facing a felony terrorism threat charge.

Military police evacuated 215 people from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers trailer at 17800 South Camp Williams Road and the surrounding area after an employee overheard the comment, according to charges filed Wednesday in 3rd District Court.

In happened on Sept. 20, when a woman asked the 27-year-old Salt Lake City delivery man what was in the package addressed to an Army Corps of Engineers employee.

He replied: "It’s probably a bomb," prosecutors wrote. The delivery man later told police he made the comment "by mistake," according to charging documents.

The delivery man was charged Wednesday with one count of threat of terrorism, a third-degree felony.

Lindsay Whitehurst

Lindsay Whitehurst and/or her editor are apparently dumbasses who put "terrorism" in place of "terroristic". I'm not gonna bother to look up Utah state statutes on threats, but I'm guessing the felonious aspect stems from the fact that at least one person was in imminent fear of death and/or great bodily harm, and also from the fact that a mass evacuation was conducted, causing a sizeable monetary loss in the process.

I could just be jumping to conclusions, though...:rolleyes:

Well fuck my ass, I got it partly wrong too. He still wasn't charged with "terrorism", and he's not gonna be fucking executed over it, either. I don't see this going to trial, common sense should prevail here.

Damn, I'm embarassed now, and I can't even blame it on booze :(

I swear common sense takes a backseat in these kinds of situations

yea cause it's not obvious as fuck that the idiot FedEx guy was trying to be funny

I don't feel an ounce of pity for him. Anyone that says something like that on a military base is a fucking idiot and deserves whatever they get.

Everyone is so sensitive since 9/11

Thanks alot Bin-Laden!

Seriously though some poor guy on base probably had his brand new 7970 blown up by the EOD team because of this ;)

Zarathustra[H];1038313152 said:
What kind of a trailer fits 215 people?

The holocaust kind.
chelm-arr.jpg

Ok so I'm guessing there wasn't actually a bomb in the package ;).

What was in there? I mean it doesn't matter but did they ever say what he was delivering?

One thing I've learned here.... never be a delivery guy.... to risky of a job.

Everyone is so sensitive since 9/11

Thanks alot Bin-Laden!

Seriously though some poor guy on base probably had his brand new 7970 blown up by the EOD team because of this ;)

This kind of comment would have resulted in the same reaction pre 9-11. The greatest tragedy here is that everyone thinks this is due to 9-11, instead of the reality of how incredibly stupid the comment was given the location.

To those saying they should of seen it for the overreaction it was, you clearly don't understand how the military works. They can't afford to make "Judgement" calls in a situation like this. If they are wrong, people die and it is their ass on the line for it.

I remember about ten years ago, at an airport, maybe the second week of September, I saw some swarthy men acting suspiciously. I thought about reporting them, but I figured I'd either be busted for terrorism threats or ethnic-something, so I kept my mouth shut.

The joke was on those men, I heard their planes crashed!

This kind of comment would have resulted in the same reaction pre 9-11. The greatest tragedy here is that everyone thinks this is due to 9-11, instead of the reality of how incredibly stupid the comment was given the location.

To those saying they should of seen it for the overreaction it was, you clearly don't understand how the military works. They can't afford to make "Judgement" calls in a situation like this. If they are wrong, people die and it is their ass on the line for it.

Fine. Overreact at first. Once you realize it isn't a bomb you drop the charges and move on. You less they are still investigating the package to make sure it is safe. Past the first week, if the charges are still there then it isn't overreaction anymore and just plain stupidity...

Better title:

"Governmental Employee Over-reaction of the day"

I went into FedEx the other day and told them my package was fragile. They asked if it was well enough packed to drop off the counter, and this was a high counter. If not they will open it up and repackage it with a packaging fee. I just looked them like this :eek: Needless to say after reading about that monitor incident UPS got my business that day and the package arrived in great shape.

lol UPS does the same. The FexEx guy was being honest with you, there's always a big variable when humans are involved.

[RIP]Zeus;1038311830 said:
For all those who are saying the "military ha sno sense of humor" you have no idea about anything that functions on a military base.

First, the military as a ZERO TOLERANCE for such actions or words, and he is very lucky he wasn't shot dead.

Second, We do have a sense of humor, but when someone says "it's a bomb", we action according to our training so that we do get killed. If you have ever been deployed you know what I mean.

If this jackass said shit like that on the base I am on, he would be shot dead. We do not fuck around with shit like that.

"STUPID, Very fucking STUPID"

Yes, your sense of humor is clearly very healthy :rolleyes:

As many others have said, this was a very stupid thing for the delivery guy to do, but the fact that we have to be so afraid of saying the wrong thing in "the land of the free" for fear of having our lives ruined is absolutely fucking ridiculous and shameful.

This is a f-up kinda police state where you go to prison for saying dumbshit... nobody would wanna bomb the corps of engineers anyways :p

Back