Stupid, easy question.

rufio

[H]ard|Gawd
Call me whatever you want, but i checked the faq and did not find a definate answer.

Do switches have a Mac ID like routers, or are they blind like Hubs.

soon as i get a solid answer this can be deleted.

Originally posted by rufio
Call me whatever you want, but i checked the faq and did not find a definate answer.

Do switches have a Mac ID like routers, or are they blind like Hubs.

soon as i get a solid answer this can be deleted.

Managed Switches can be assigned an IP address, unmanaged switches do not.

Originally posted by SJConsultant
Managed Switches can be assigned an IP address, unmanaged switches do not.

How is this done? Is it done via software, or is it done in another way? I have a managed switch and I would like to know. :)

I get what you are saying, but I really just need to know if a switch has its OWN Mac ID like nic cards and routers do.

Im on a college campus where the only allow 2 'devices' to be registered to get on the internet, and i have 2 computers that i want to put on, so thats 2 mac addresses, so i cannot use my router.

I get what you are saying, but I really just need to know if a switch has its OWN Mac ID like nic cards and routers do.

Im on a college campus where the only allow 2 'devices' to be registered to get on the internet, and i have 2 computers that i want to put on, so thats 2 mac addresses, so i cannot use my router.

If you used your router, you would only have *1* device registered. The Router has it's own DHCP server, so the school network would only see it's MAC address. :)

Originally posted by ’m‚³‚ñ
How is this done? Is it done via software, or is it done in another way? I have a managed switch and I would like to know. :)

It depends on the make and model, some require you to connect via console access, typically a serial port to configure it.

Check the instruction manual as to how to specifically configure your switch. You would need to do this in order to configure any of the managed features.

If you would be more specific in what you are trying to accomplish with the make and model of equipment you are using then I am sure someone here can give you a definitive answer.

The answer really depends on what equipment you have.

Originally posted by SJConsultant
It depends on the make and model, some require you to connect via console access, typically a serial port to configure it.

Check the instruction manual as to how to specifically configure your switch. You would need to do this in order to configure any of the managed features.

This is a cheap $20 8 port switch I got off newegg OEM... I don't think I have a manual for it. :p It doesn't have ports, either. I'm not sure how to do it... It'sn ot really a big deal, so I guess I'll just leave it alone.

If you used your router, you would only have *1* device registered. The Router has it's own DHCP server, so the school network would only see it's MAC address. :)

DHCP is not allowed, they will cut off all access to my line. I just got a netgear FS105 and looking on their site there was no mention of a mac id, id just like to be sure.

Plus when i have tried to hook up my router via NON dhcp it still asks me to register the routers ID and the Nic card IDS

This is a cheap $20 8 port switch I got off newegg OEM... I don't think I have a manual for it. :p It doesn't have ports, either. I'm not sure how to do it... It'sn ot really a big deal, so I guess I'll just leave it alone.

Have you tried the Manf. website for an instruction manual?

DHCP is not allowed, they will cut off all access to my line. I just got a netgear FS105 and looking on their site there was no mention of a mac id, id just like to be sure.

Plus when i have tried to hook up my router via NON dhcp it still asks me to register the routers ID and the Nic card IDS

You'll need to register the MAC address of the router with the college before you can use it as a router.

yes i know this... everything with a mac id is required to be registered.

If i register the mac id of the router, everything behind it with a MAC id gets blocked untill that id is also registered. I have already tried to go this route (hi-oh).

yes i know this... everything with a mac id is required to be registered.

If i register the mac id of the router, everything behind it with a MAC id gets blocked untill that id is also registered. I have already tried to go this route (hi-oh).

First of all are you calling your FS105 a router or do you have another device that you are calling a router (make and model might help here)?

According to Netgear's website, the FS105 is a 5 port switch, not a router and would explain the problem you are having.

I have a linksys befsr41 router. Just bought a netgear FS105 Switch.

I dont know how i made this so complicated... god bless irony.

I have a linksys befsr41 router. Just bought a netgear FS105 Switch.

I dont know how i made this so complicated... god bless irony.

Which MAC address are you registering with the college? Routers will have two MAC addresses, one for the WAN and one for the Internal LAN ports. You should be registering the WAN MAC address. If that does not work try cloneing one of your PCs MAC address to the WAN port of the Linky.

My router only lists one address, and the registration script for my campus network automatically picks up that same address.

My router only lists one address, and the registration script for my campus network automatically picks up that same address.

Your router has a listing for two IP addresses and corrosponding MAC addresses. If you can't find them, then check your user manual, if you still can't find them then no one here is going to be able to help you.

Are you connecting the router to the campus network via the WAN port?

I would be yes, but this has obviously diverged from my initial question. Generally do switched, (my FS105 expressly) have mac addresses like routers. I am not going to use my router, I will be using my switch when it arrives.

Can someone possibly link me to a netgear page that might tell me what the FS105 truly has. The main product page for it mentions nothing about a mac id.

I would be yes, but this has obviously diverged from my initial question. Generally do switched, (my FS105 expressly) have mac addresses like routers. I am not going to use my router, I will be using my switch when it arrives.

Can someone possibly link me to a netgear page that might tell me what the FS105 truly has. The main product page for it mentions nothing about a mac id.

RTFM
FS105 Manual

Back