Stupid Apple, can't you implement this simple but great idea?

maverick786us

2[H]4U
I recently purchased a Macbook pro retina 15, which i love it and, will mostly use as my primary laptop mostly for education, iPhone programming and other usages.

I own an iPad and an iPhone too. I mostly use the iPad for reading, sometimes youtube and other entertainment. Since i didn't want to be the early adopter, therefore i missed the entire first generation of Apple watch and will buy a series 2 apple watch in future, because we are smart guys therefore should only use smartwatches.

An iPad cannot be a replacement of a MacBook Pro, and vice versa. iPads aren't good for input, as typing in an iPad isn't the same as typing in a MacBook pro. However, iPads are good for reading, books, magazines and other stuffs, which is less handy in a MacBook pro.

In my classes, i use my MacBook Pro for taking notes, synchronise it in Microsoft OneNote, i read those notes in my iPad. like a book.

I have completely stopped buying physical books, because i use either iBooks or pdf files that can be read in iBook application.

Using iPad for reading is best, but the problem is, continuous reading in an iPad causes strain and dryness to your eyes, which isn't the case with ebook readers.

So can't apple implement some kind of special setting with the iPads where its colour, contrast and celebration becomes similar to eBook, so that it wouldn't cause any strain in eyes? Its a simple but a brilliant idea. If this is something hardware dependent and cannot be supported in current iPads, apple calls themselves tech giants. Why Apple didn't implement it with the latest generation iPads?

Using iPad for reading is best, but the problem is, continuous reading in an iPad causes strain and dryness to your eyes, which isn't the case with ebook readers.

So can't apple implement some kind of special setting with the iPads where its colour, contrast and celebration becomes similar to eBook, so that it wouldn't cause any strain in eyes? Its a simple but a brilliant idea. If this is something hardware dependent and cannot be supported in current iPads, apple calls themselves tech giants. Why Apple didn't implement it with the latest generation iPads?

Have you tried Night Shift? Not exactly what you are looking for but I find it tremendously helpful for evening usage.

Yes, that grey scale setting is good, but still it does causes strain, while prolonged reading. In an eBooks reader, you can read as long as you can, without causing any strain or damage to your eyes.

So it boils down to a point, why should you separately buy an eBooks reader, when you have an IPad?

Also not sure why you're mad specifically at Apple about this. No tablet manufacturer has figured out this "problem", e-ink readers not withstanding.

That's just the tradeoff of using a tablet. It does everything, but it's harder on your eyes. Or you can get an e-ink reader and have it do one thing and have it not be harder on your eyes. Choose.

Just a question, but do you get massive eye strain staring at your iPhone or your MacBook Pro for hours at a time, like during a work shift or something? If not, then I can't understand why you'd get eye strain from the iPad considering the display technology - IPS LCDs - is still the same thing. From what I read of the OP's statement, the focus seems to be on the iPad itself and not the other devices. For me personally I've been staring at "computer displays" for 45 years from old school green on black or orange on black through Hercules 16 color stuff then CRTs in the 80s and then into the LCD era and I'm still going and I've never ever had issues with eye strain so, I just have to wonder what exactly is going on here considering the use of other devices with IPS LCDs (the laptop and the iPhone) and yet the iPad is the focus for eye strain.

There's nothing that is technologically possible in this day and age to make an IPS panel work like an e-Ink display - you can adjust the colors and the fonts being displayed on the IPS to give an approximation of "e-Ink" but it still won't be actual e-Ink technology and thus the complaint about eye strain theoretically would still be there.

Gotta be something going on when some IPS display usage (the iPad) is causing problems while the other IPS displays aren't.

I prefer matte displays, and use a matte IPS at both home and work. Not sure why people love glossy displays so much as they produce glare as soon as you introduce a primary light source. I will also say that I haven't had eye fatigue for as long as i've been on matte displays. CRT's would always inevitably cause fatigue on me, and if I use glossy LCD's for too long I get the same feeling.

You can actually buy stick on screen protectors for your phone/tablet that make the display matte. This may resolve the issue the OP is having. Still not as easy to see as an e-ink panel, but at least will remove the glare.

Just a question, but do you get massive eye strain staring at your iPhone or your MacBook Pro for hours at a time, like during a work shift or something? If not, then I can't understand why you'd get eye strain from the iPad considering the display technology - IPS LCDs - is still the same thing. From what I read of the OP's statement, the focus seems to be on the iPad itself and not the other devices. For me personally I've been staring at "computer displays" for 45 years from old school green on black or orange on black through Hercules 16 color stuff then CRTs in the 80s and then into the LCD era and I'm still going and I've never ever had issues with eye strain so, I just have to wonder what exactly is going on here considering the use of other devices with IPS LCDs (the laptop and the iPhone) and yet the iPad is the focus for eye strain.

There's nothing that is technologically possible in this day and age to make an IPS panel work like an e-Ink display - you can adjust the colors and the fonts being displayed on the IPS to give an approximation of "e-Ink" but it still won't be actual e-Ink technology and thus the complaint about eye strain theoretically would still be there.

Gotta be something going on when some IPS display usage (the iPad) is causing problems while the other IPS displays aren't.

I usually use my iPad mostly before sleeping, maybe when I stare for too much in my iPad, I concentrate so much that i frequency of blinking eyes reduce. In the morning when I wake up i feel dryness in my eyes. Besides reading I also play games like clash of kings, and do other stuffs like watching videos.

I have perfect 20//20 vision. So I am sure this eye issue has nothing to do with my vision. I am an IT professional so i spend good amount of time at work on desktop, but don't feel the strain. In iPad during prolonged reading, or while playing games, the strain happens.

My wife has slightly weak eye sight, she owns a Note 5 whose screen is more vibrant, thus causes more strain in eyes, so if she watches a move in her note without the glasses, she will have migraine, the next day.

Apple is a tech giant, where they have too much $$ for R&D. It was Steve Jobs vision, to re-invent books. I am pleased with the idea of iBooks, where reading books is not only more handy over physical books, but more fun, then you can have video presentation in these iBooks, you can read in the dark, which is not possible with the physical book. Apple being a tech giant, with so much money could have discovered an IPS display that could work as an e-ink.

Last edited:
Apple can't please everyone. In this case, they didn't please you. Return your iPad and get something that suits you.

Is extremely pleased with his iPad Pro just as he was pleased with his previous iPad

Apple can't please everyone. In this case, they didn't please you. Return your iPad and get something that suits you.

Is extremely pleased with his iPad Pro just as he was pleased with his previous iPad
Its not only to please me, but it will make the life of a lot of people a whole lot easier, where they don't have to purchase a separate ebook reader, when they have an iPad. I do a lot of other stuffs with my iPad, reading is one small part of it. So i won't return my iPad. Apple believes in creativity. Wouldn't this be creative?

BTW iPad Pro 9.7 is a great device. I still own the first generation iPad Air. If apple would have added this future with the latest generation iPad, I would have sold my old iPad and would purchase this.

Once you use something like a 6th generation Kindle Paperwhite for extended reading you're pretty much ruined for anything else in that department. Not only is the text crisp and clear in direct sunlight (try that with an iPad ), you don't have to charge it but twice a month, even with heavy use. Apple does indeed acquire plenty of useful technology, but to intentionally limp along with an inferior product simply out of brand loyalty is just meaningless.

The obvious takeaway here is that you are never going to find a product that does everything you want exactly the way you want it to unless you lower your expectations. And in case you haven't been paying attention, Apple dictates what users want, not the other way around.

Good luck!

I'm assuming the amount of research you've done into this is exactly zero. It bothers you, therefore it would help a lot of people if... nnnnope.

http://lifehacker.com/5934993/is-e-ink-really-better-for-my-eyes-than-my-ipad

If you're hypersensitive to the iPad's screen, you're simply not Apple's focus.

It's not just me. Whenever I recommend my friends, family to completely DITCH!! physical books, my dad has a huge bunch of crappy physical files, folders and other mess. I suggested that I will scan all those files using my brother Mfc 9340 multi-function, which is excellent for scanning because of adp feature and using the in built ocr will store it in PDF format, which he can read in iBook application. Similarly whenever I ask others to DITCH!!! physical books, magazines, news papers and should read it in iPad, most of the time I get answer, "are you fucking serious!!, prolonged reading in an iPad will make your eyes blind someday, use an e-ink instead".

Anyways my dad is not a tech savvy so he will stroll prefer crappy file systems instead digitising everything. He still prefers writing instead of typing, despite the fact he is using laptop for almost a decade.

Last edited:
Still not seeing an issue here, I can read data/information from pretty much anything and never have issues with it. I'm staring at LCDs all the time in my waking hours and my smartphone has a Super AMOLED display (at about 40% brightness, doesn't require more than that and it's a waste of battery power to do so). As for dry eyes after waking up from a period of sleep, that has nothing to do with what displays you're staring at during your waking hours: that's a normal facet of being human. During sleep the body does a lot of background processing and getting "caught up" on things (not sleep since that's what you're doing in that period) and utlitizing water is one of them.

In fact, one of the absolute healthiest things a person can do is drink about 8-16 oz or water immediately after you wake up each day, literally have a bottle or glass of it by your bed for when you roll out and your feet hit the floor, drink the water and then begin your day. Unfortunately not many folk actually do this but they should, it would make a big difference in their daily lives (including drinking more water during waking hours, of course).

But that's another thread for another time...

People have their ways, ingrained by years of habit, so don't expect them - especially ones much older than you aka parents, grandparents, etc - to just drop what's worked for them for years/decades/etc. Just because you think your way is better doesn't mean it's true for them in their situations.

I was raised during a time when parents would constantly tell us kids "Don't sit too close to the TV (meaning old school huge hot running power consuming cathode ray tube monsters), you're going to go blind..."

My response: "No offense, Mom, but it's just another source of light. If I can go blind watching a TV then by that line of thinking if I were to sit and watch a candle burn - another source of light - that would make me go blind too..."

She didn't like that response, not one bit. :)

Why don't you just get a Kindle or other similar e-reader? Mine was less than $50 and I use it all the time. It's a great compliment to an iPad since it's considerably smaller.

I wouldn't want an iPad with an e-ink screen since I enjoy being able to watch videos on it. Likewise, a Kindle with an LCD is a completely different product from the e-ink version.

Why don't you just get a Kindle or other similar e-reader? Mine was less than $50 and I use it all the time. It's a great compliment to an iPad since it's considerably smaller.

I wouldn't want an iPad with an e-ink screen since I enjoy being able to watch videos on it. Likewise, a Kindle with an LCD is a completely different product from the e-ink version.

That is an option that which is always open for me. I was just hoping, that my first generation iPad air might reach end of life within an year or 2, so the next generation iPad that i buy serve all my purposes

Have you tried Night Shift? Not exactly what you are looking for but I find it tremendously helpful for evening usage.

Yes, that grey scale setting is good, but still it does causes strain, while prolonged reading. In an eBooks reader, you can read as long as you can, without causing any strain or damage to your eyes.

So it boils down to a point, why should you separately buy an eBooks reader, when you have an IPad?

Night shift isn't the greyscale setting in ios.

I usually use my iPad mostly before sleeping, maybe when I stare for too much in my iPad, I concentrate so much that i frequency of blinking eyes reduce. In the morning when I wake up i feel dryness in my eyes. Besides reading I also play games like clash of kings, and do other stuffs like watching videos.

I have perfect 20//20 vision. So I am sure this eye issue has nothing to do with my vision. I am an IT professional so i spend good amount of time at work on desktop, but don't feel the strain. In iPad during prolonged reading, or while playing games, the strain happens.

My wife has slightly weak eye sight, she owns a Note 5 whose screen is more vibrant, thus causes more strain in eyes, so if she watches a move in her note without the glasses, she will have migraine, the next day.

Apple is a tech giant, where they have too much $$ for R&D. It was Steve Jobs vision, to re-invent books. I am pleased with the idea of iBooks, where reading books is not only more handy over physical books, but more fun, then you can have video presentation in these iBooks, you can read in the dark, which is not possible with the physical book. Apple being a tech giant, with so much money could have discovered an IPS display that could work as an e-ink.

There are a number of things that cause eye strain and 20/20 is not "perfect" vision. 20/20 is "normal" vision, meaning you can see objects clearly at 20 feet. There are many things that affect your vision other than depth or sharpness. For instance, the normal acuity exam does not measure the affect of glare, intense light or strain on an eye. I bounce between 20/20 and 20/15 depending on the eye doctor and time of day. But my eyes get tired progressively faster the more dehydrated I get. I am also extremely susceptible to glare, it's enormously distracting to me. I can't watch TV in some people's houses because they have too many lights glaring off their TV screen. Also, it is very difficult for me to keep my eyes open when it is extremely bright outside. This is why I own many pairs of sunglasses, so I almost always have some available to use.

Now, on to the device portion. As others have mentioned, E-Ink is really what you are looking for and it is not compatible with the iPad screen. E-Ink is it's own display technology (EPD-2 pigment, or ESL-3 pigment)) specifically designed to deliver a less intense matte picture that is similar to newspaper making it very easy to read. You just can't get that on the iPad screen. The best bet is to go with a screen filter like has been mentioned before. Also, drinking more water or using special eye drops while having longer reading sessions can sometimes help to keep your helps moist to help prevent the eye strain.

Try a 9.7 Pro .... The screen is updated upgraded, not to what you are wanting since it doesnt exist. Your same statements could be made to Samsung, HTC, or LG ....

Try a 9.7 Pro .... The screen is updated upgraded, not to what you are wanting since it doesnt exist. Your same statements could be made to Samsung, HTC, or LG ....

Yes once my ageing iPad Air first generation reaches EOL or if Apple drops the support of it or if iOS 11 is too heavy for it, I will definitely go for iPad Pro 9.7, as i love its speakers and the idea of pencil.

Not really true, especially as of iOS 9. Federico Viticci runs Macstories entirely from his iPad. The only thing he still uses his Mac for is podcast recording.

First off just because Federico Viticci who runs a pro Mac site can do something, does not mean it works well for someone else. The OP specifically talked about taking notes and typing. It is far easier to type on a MacBook Pro than an iPad. Perhaps he could get an accessory to make it easier on an iPad, but that doesn't make his statement false. Also I can run quite a few things off my phone or a Rasberry Pi. That does not mean it is a one for one replacement for a desktop. Being able to do things on a mobile platform, does not inherently mean that mobile platform is now a replacement for my more powerful and versatile desktop platform.

First off just because Federico Viticci who runs a pro Mac site can do something, does not mean it works well for someone else.

It does, however, disprove the blanket statement, which is the point. I never claimed the OP needs to or should do pro level work on an iPad. I cited a use case to disprove a false statement. End of story.

Honestly anyone who wants something that is very light in form factor, is good for typing, and still decently powerful should really be looking at a Surface 4 Pro. I use my iPhone as my mobile, but I ditched my iPad for the Surface Pro since the Surface is just so much more functional.

iPad Pro IMO is a complete waste of money since it isn't running full blown OSX like the Surface Pro runs full blown Windows 10 Pro.

Besides taking notes, I do iPhone programming, which i don't think you can do in an iPad, or iPad pro 12 inch or any other Mobile OS (since Mchart mentioned Surface Pro, which is a mobile OS). Talking about typing, for regular notes, making block diagrams, using excel sheets for, yes an iPad with a keyboard can do that. But, its more handy in my 15 inch MacBook pro, which uses a familiar keyboard, that I've been using, the day i got my first desktop in 1998.

Talking about very light form factor, I could have a gone for a 12 inch MacBook retina or a 13 inch MacBook pro retina. But I wanted a powerful machine with a bigger screen, which is more future proof, and in which i could do even do Video streaming, when needed

any other Mobile OS (since Mchart mentioned Surface Pro, which is a mobile OS)

The Surface Pro runs Windows 10 Professional aka the full blown desktop operating system - you might be thinking about the original Surface RT tablet which did run a "mobile" version of Windows on the ARM architecture. The Surface Pro is a true desktop replacement device (meaning it's a desktop-class personal computer in a very tiny form factor, basically), not some mobile OS thing like the iPad or iPad Pro which both run iOS (again, not OSX/macOS, the desktop OS) and can't run desktop-class applications/programs/etc.

And there's nothing stopping you from running OSX/macOS in a VM on a Surface Pro either except some pesky EULA that means not much at all. :)

I always loved this pic and I still do, it's just perfect:

Surface_beats_an_i_Pad.jpg

The Surface Pro runs Windows 10 Professional aka the full blown desktop operating system - you might be thinking about the original Surface RT tablet which did run a "mobile" version of Windows on the ARM architecture. The Surface Pro is a true desktop replacement device (meaning it's a desktop-class personal computer in a very tiny form factor, basically), not some mobile OS thing like the iPad or iPad Pro which both run iOS (again, not OSX/macOS, the desktop OS) and can't run desktop-class applications/programs/etc.

And there's nothing stopping you from running OSX/macOS in a VM on a Surface Pro either except some pesky EULA that means not much at all. :)

I always loved this pic and I still do, it's just perfect:

Surface_beats_an_i_Pad.jpg

I see, I thought it was the surface book that runs the complete desktop OS

I prefer matte displays, and use a matte IPS at both home and work. Not sure why people love glossy displays so much as they produce glare as soon as you introduce a primary light source. I will also say that I haven't had eye fatigue for as long as i've been on matte displays. CRT's would always inevitably cause fatigue on me, and if I use glossy LCD's for too long I get the same feeling.

You can actually buy stick on screen protectors for your phone/tablet that make the display matte. This may resolve the issue the OP is having. Still not as easy to see as an e-ink panel, but at least will remove the glare.

This right here. Glossy screens absolutely suck for pretty much anything.

I only buy matte screens. In the case of a phone I put a matte screen protector on.

I see, I thought it was the surface book that runs the complete desktop OS

Surface book is just a different form factor. Any Surface tablet with 'Pro' in the name is running a standard Intel chipset and Windows 10 Pro.

I think Apple could do well with the iPad Pro idea if they actually had it running OSX, but with the way the device is currently it's a joke.

iPad Pro IMO is a complete waste of money since it isn't running full blown OSX like the Surface Pro runs full blown Windows 10 Pro.
Many people (like me) hit critical mass in iOS app usage and that's now an ecosystem we care about. We care about FaceTime and Messages and Pokemon Go (and App Store stuff/maturity in general) and integration with iCloud. The iPad Pro is the extreme end of that ecosystem. I have the 12.9" iPad Pro and I love the thing. I tried Windows tablets and while they are cool, they are not mature. The app store is abysmal, and desktop Windows is still kind of janky scaling properly/looking right on HiDPI. Windows tablets don't "do it" for me like my iPad Pro does.

Many people (like me) hit critical mass in iOS app usage and that's now an ecosystem we care about. We care about FaceTime and Messages and Pokemon Go (and App Store stuff/maturity in general) and integration with iCloud. The iPad Pro is the extreme end of that ecosystem. I have the 12.9" iPad Pro and I love the thing. I tried Windows tablets and while they are cool, they are not mature. The app store is abysmal, and desktop Windows is still kind of janky scaling properly/looking right on HiDPI. Windows tablets don't "do it" for me like my iPad Pro does.
Have you used the latest Surface Pro's? I wouldn't call it a janky experience at all, and having an 'app store' is irrelevant since it can run anything a desktop can.

Surface book is just a different form factor. Any Surface tablet with 'Pro' in the name is running a standard Intel chipset and Windows 10 Pro.

I think Apple could do well with the iPad Pro idea if they actually had it running OSX, but with the way the device is currently it's a joke.

Its not in Apple's CEO's vision to merge desktop / tablet into one. Not sure if microsoft made it right by merging both into one

Desktop operating systems designed for mouse and keyboard do not make sense on touch input form factors.

Desktop operating systems designed for mouse and keyboard do not make sense on touch input form factors.

You do realize that WIndows 10 has both a fully functioning touch GUI and mouse/KB desktop GUI, correct? Moving between touch and desktop mode in Windows 10 is seemless and it's one of the reasons why the Surface Pro is so great to use.

You do realize that WIndows 10 has both a fully functioning touch GUI and mouse/KB desktop GUI, correct? Moving between touch and desktop mode in Windows 10 is seemless and it's one of the reasons why the Surface Pro is so great to use.

You do realize that Windows 10, and 8/8.1 before it, are greatly maligned for forcing touch UI needs onto the desktop UI, correct?

If you want small, light and desktop like productivity get a new MacBook. Expensive? Yes. But it is crazy small and you can do everything a desktop form factor can (since it runs full OS X).

Typing on one right now...

You do realize that Windows 10, and 8/8.1 before it, are greatly maligned for forcing touch UI needs onto the desktop UI, correct?
Yes,Thanks for agreeing with me that the latest versions of windows work great with the surface.

Back