Stupid 10GbE Question - SFP+ Direct Attached Cables

WarlordBB

Limp Gawd
So, I have a switch stack of several DELL PowerConnect 5548's that accept "pluggable 10GbE modules". I've just purchased a SuperMicro 6026T-6RFT+ barebone server that has dual "pluggalbe 10GbE modules" (based on "Intel 82599EB 10 Gigabit Ethernet Controller with 2 SFP+ interfaces").

I was about to purchase two $700+ transceivers to test out 10GbE and then buy a cable such as 10GBASE-SR cable to connect the server to a 5548 switch...

However, if I'm reading things right, since I'm only looking for "top of rack" length, can't I just buy this all-in-one cable:

http://www.cablesondemand.com/categ...PASS-007/URvars/Items/Library/InfoManage/.htm

Which is a:

"7m SFP+ Cable - Amphenol 10GbE SFP+ Direct Attach Copper Cable (23 ft)"

for $105 and call it a day?

Is there a downside to doing this for applications where length requirements permit?

Those TwinAx cables can be better than any other option; they have lower latency, and lower power requirements than just about any other 10Gb option out there. The only BIG issue is support; make sure both ends support them.

I use them a lot for doing 10Gb between my Cisco Nexus 5510s and 5596UPs and their FEXes.

Both the switch and the server list twinax compatibility so I should be good there. I was talking to a sales rep from the place I bought the cables from and he said some of the older SuperMicro systems had an issue with the physical interface fitting but the one I am getting is pretty new.

Thanks for the response.

Yep, the biggest downside is length, but otherwise, yea it should work fine, better sometimes even(low latency) if you don't need the length.

Back