Stunning HDR Images

HardOCP News

[H] News
The HDR images on this page are simply stunning. It's amazing the way a photograph of a real world location can look just like something you'd find in a CG movie or video game. Some of the images are even called "Tron," "Tolkien Bridge" and "I found Avatar." Here are a few of my favorites from the site.

Kinda cool when you can look at a photograph and the first thing that comes to your mind is "I played that level."

HDR is awesome... especially when it's done such that the image is *just* as you'd see it when standing there.

HDR can be very pretty, but I find it tasteless when it looks "like CG". The whole point is to make it more realistic, not to make it look fake.

HDR can be very pretty, but I find it tasteless when it looks "like CG". The whole point is to make it more realistic, not to make it look fake.

same here. When it's done subtly, it really does make a photo pop/stand out. Unfortunately though, a lot of photographers tend to go a little extreme with the effect.

even then though, they're still neat looking... very surrealistic.

I have been into that guys stuff for a while. I love using them as desktops, people always comment on them.

I recently dusted off my old Canon 10D and took a few pictures with HDR in mind.
It was rather refreshing not having to worry about perfect light and split density filters or tinkering with a contrast mask.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Canon 10D, 17-40 f4L @ f16 1/15, bracketed in RAW +/- 2 f-stops
combined/tonemapped with Photomatix

1959 Chevy Bel-Air shot in my back yard

This damn style is the reason most people think HDR refers to photography with too many Photoshop filters applied.

As nice as this site is, it is totally killing my CPU, pegging one of the cores at 100% usage indefinitely.

I've kinda lost interested in the over the top HDR look. Keeping it realistic looking IMO ends up being much better. Actually I've been playing with Oloneo (some free/beta HDR program) and doing tone mapping on single raw files. Seems like just a little tone mapping can often do so much for an image without having to go nuts with it.

Well, actually, the point is to make it look however the artist intended it to look ;)

Really nice pictures! Most notably the scenes from New Zealand, China, Iceland and Akihabara are outrageous.

Lots of these aren't HDR, they're just levels and color balance/saturation tweaked. There *IS* a difference.

Yea I thought it was kind of funny in his tutorial he describes HDR as one image or a series of images. Isn't it always that at least three exposures are required?

Stunning?
wank.gif

Some of them look really nice, but some are asstastic.

A good one for example is an HDR picture that is professionally done, like the one picture above by Sanction. Awesome work there man, uber realistic and well done!

When used properly HDR does some cool stuff to under and overexposed areas in photos but I can't wait for this fad of cartoonizing everything to go away so we can get back to using it properly.

I like it, yeah it's unreaistic but so is over/under-exposure, dramatic dof, wide-angle and other lenses, tinting, etc... hdr is just another technique. People will always experiment for more/different effect... I think it's a good thing

Back