Stumped on this one!

walwalka

2[H]4U
We have these HP DC 5800 small form factors here in the school district That I work at, we are having issues deploying images to them from WDS.

What happens is the PXEboot will boot into WDS and then install the image with no problems. The problems occurs when windows tries to start up for the first time it will load the starting windows screen and just at the end of it the machine will reboot. It does not say it is preparing the registry like it does when the computer loads fine after an image. It will boot back up with a windows failed to start menu but not give any error code. Every other machine in my district has worked with WDS no problem.

Things that I have tried:
1. I made an image directly off of one of the HPs and uploaded it to WDS. Failed. same problem.
2. changed my answer file so that it doesn't clear the existing files during sysprep and installation. Failed. same problem.
3. uploaded all the drivers I could find for this machine. Failed. Same problem.

I'm at a loss here, if any one has any suggestions please suggest. I'm not loading 100 machines with disks.. I don't have that kind of time.

Last edited:
Might check the AHCI setting, toggle it either on or off and see if it boots. If it does I would check a few of the machines to see which setting they have and fix your image according. Hope it helps.

What OS are you using? If it's XP (or 7,too I guess), you could be getting a boot-bsod loop with the machine set to restart instead of create a memory dump.

If it's xp, I bet you're getting a stop 7b, which is a mass storage controller. If this is a problem, turning AHCI off would work, but then you'd still have to touch all the machines. If that works, you need to add the proper mass storage drivers to your image.

We are deploying windows 7, the bios on the computer doesn't have much for AHCI settings. The bios on these machines is absolutely terrible. I've changed the SATA power settings and I've changed the emulation type along with the translation mode. Those are all the settings in the bios for any sata or power settings. I've also tried the mass storage driver as well. None of which changed anything, I can't find anyone online who has had the same troubles as us.

Back