Study Shows VR has Appeal Among U.S. Gamers

monkeymagick

[H]News
With VR sales topping $1.8 Billion last year, Gamasutra reports that interests in virtual reality are mostly from customers in the U.S. While the Samsung Gear VR being the bulk of current VR demands, games such as Resident Evil 7 and Project Cars are helping entice enthusiasts to the devices. And here I am still rocking my Simpsons VR.

34 percent of the population recognizes the Gear VR because of its marketing being in tandem with Samsung's mobile devices, and headsets are often offered for free if purchased with the phone.

And that's how you get adoption going. Give away the technology for free with devices people are going to purchase anyway.

I just hope they figure out how to explore large game worlds without teleporting or vomiting.

What's interesting is the HTC Vive sales outpace the Occulus Rift. And the Occulus Rift outpaces the HTC Vice in the "Want to buy" category.

This is a good example of how marketing metrics are sometimes unreliable.

is samsung vr more popular than real vr? I mean samsung was practically giving it away last holiday season and drastically cut the price. I wonder what kind of sample size they used in their polls.

What's interesting is the HTC Vive sales outpace the Occulus Rift. And the Occulus Rift outpaces the HTC Vice in the "Want to buy" category.

Thank you for pointing this out. Essentially this "want list" should probably be halved. If you go around and ask any schmuck if they would buy VR they'll largely say yes, just like everyone wants to own a BMW or sports car. The reality is a lot of these people are just living with wishful thinking and wont ever actually buy it, hence the reason adoption is really quite poor.

Right, so you guys don't see the results you want to see and you immediately start to discount the test, the testers, the test takers :D Hillary 2016!

Oculus Rift is ahead of Vive for the same reason Budweiser is considered the king of beers.......they advertise and people know who they are. HTC/Valve really let the Vive sell itself to the people in the hobby/industry, so nobody knows wtf a "vive" is..........they look and go "oh I think that's that Oculus Rift thing".

I find these results fairly wonky, as people that say they are going to buy an occulus rift, if actually shopping vr, would probably end up buying Vive once the become informed customers.

I was about to say the same thing.

I just hope they figure out how to explore large game worlds without teleporting or vomiting.

Auto-locomotion is a difficult thing to do in VR, seeing motion with feeling it and vice versa is how out brains are wired. I'm not susceptible to motion sickness but automation for the first time made me dizzy. But I do think it's possible to adjust to it. It's simply an experience that most have never had. Seeing movement and not feeling for the first time is wild. Then after a few hours of dealing with it not so much.

Endless PR, no content.

It's starting to look to me like there's no 'killer app' for VR unless you're really into role playing as a transgendered star trek character.

not sure any app could be killer enough to drive people to drop 1000+ on something that is still inherently clunky...

Auto-locomotion is a difficult thing to do in VR, seeing motion with feeling it and vice versa is how out brains are wired. I'm not susceptible to motion sickness but automation for the first time made me dizzy. But I do think it's possible to adjust to it. It's simply an experience that most have never had. Seeing movement and not feeling for the first time is wild. Then after a few hours of dealing with it not so much.
Unfortunately, I think this is what's going to limit how much VR catches on, since it limits what games can be on it for people who are susceptible to motion sickness. The only solution I've found is to control the viewing area of the image. VorpX has done a fantastic job on letting you control that, but it only supports so many games and it does come at the cost of full immersion (though I still think it's great). I think Fallout 4 VR will likely be a test for the VR market as large as to how viable this sort of thing is.

Back