Study: People Try Apple Pay Once, Don’t Go Back

Yes, I know, but the poster I answered was wondering why not mess with the whole checkout process instead of paying. His point was that Apple is going after the wrong problem. However, Apple is going after what they believe will make them money with their Iphones.

My apologies, I completley misread the post before yours, leading me to completely misread the entire string of replies, including yours. Carry on.

I use mine all the time on the vending machines at work. If more places accepted it I would use it everywhere.

Luddite. ;)

Swiping? I hope you don't mean a mag strip reader. I haven't used one of those in years.

My day is RFID based.

I take public transit into the city core to work - tap my RFID bus card.
At work I badge in with tap of another RFID card.
I pay for my lunch by tapping my RFID bank card.
Then I badge out at the end of the day, tap, more transit home tap, tap...
I hop in my car and start it (proximity key card in my wallet, not RFID).
Buy some gas RFID tap.
Buy some groceries RFID tap...

At just a tap it is already pretty fast and convenient, much faster than cash ever was.

Progress for me is when they put all of these in a watch, so I don't have to fish out the right card, until then I have no use for a smart watch, but when they get this all sorted, I am on board.

Total different world you live in.

I drive to work, as any attempt to take public transit would likely take me at least 4x as long, assuming I could even find a bus route that would work.
Lunch? I'll stick with cash.
Everything else, I'll stick to my credit card, or maybe trade some chickens :)

This is too funny. Our bank is days away from launching Apple Pay support, and yet there are very few stores in our area with cash registers that actually support it. Customer's wanted it, we provided. Now its up to the stores to actually give a shit. According to this article, it still seems like all the adoption issues are on the store end.

The problem is, as always ... what is the motivation for the store? Most people won't stop shopping at a particular store because they don't support NFC so where's the motivation for the store? Most of them will wait until they have to upgrade their pay terminals for some other reason and potentially only then include NFC payments at that time. They're not going to rush out and upgrade terminals unless there's some monetary benefit in it for them.

Yup. Let's give Apple all of our purchase data (on top of cc companies). F that, I pay in cash. What I buy is nobody's buisness but mine. Marketers can go get stuffed.

I have once tried to Install app from my bank which was supposed to do pretty much the same... but i have never actually used it :D It seems mor simple for me to do contactless payment with my debit/credit card ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contactless_payment ).

I can also get some kind of rfid sticker from my bank which i can put on my phone/wallet/hand/forehead to do contactless payments with.

I do not know how could this get more simple :)

I think that is Samsung can accomplish what they are going to try and do with the Galaxy S6 and its frankly amazing mobile payment plan it will revolutionize the idea of mobile payments altogether. The only question is how well it will work.

Total different world you live in.

I drive to work, as any attempt to take public transit would likely take me at least 4x as long, assuming I could even find a bus route that would work.
Lunch? I'll stick with cash.
Everything else, I'll stick to my credit card, or maybe trade some chickens :)

I'd prefer to drive if it wasn't in the downtown core where parking near work is $18/day.

RFID tap is way faster than cash and I don't have to deal with change.

The point is I already do so much with proximity cards that it seems obvious to me that this will evolve to having them all in a watch for the greatest convenience.

The problem is, as always ... what is the motivation for the store? Most people won't stop shopping at a particular store because they don't support NFC so where's the motivation for the store? Most of them will wait until they have to upgrade their pay terminals for some other reason and potentially only then include NFC payments at that time. They're not going to rush out and upgrade terminals unless there's some monetary benefit in it for them.

Most of them have upgraded by this point, because of the October Visa Chip and Pin requirements, they just haven't turned NFC on, or didn't hook it up correctly. Hell, most haven't even trained on Chip and Pin yet. when they see you typing a pin they assume it's debt, which kills the transaction.

It's also is up to you to know what system your NFC system uses. A lot of the problem people had with Google Wallet was because it only worked on the MasterCard system for example.

Back