Study Offers Further Proof That Violent Video Games Do Not Cause Aggression

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
The results of a study published this week in Molecular Psychiatry support the notion that violent video games do not actually raise aggression in people: in fact, they have little to no effect on a variety of other negative behaviors and traits that include anxiety and depression. The subjects comprised non-gamers who played 30 minutes of GTA V for two months.

To our knowledge, the present study employed the most comprehensive test battery spanning a multitude of domains in which changes due to violent video games may have been expected. Therefore, the present results provide strong evidence against the frequently debated negative effects of playing violent video games.

Capture2.PNG

Trump disagress! He said trust him, he knows abot these things.

30 minutes of GTA for 2 months?
I don't want to be the Devil's Advocate here, but lets at least have some playing time so people can actually get into the game and play it, and yes I know they mean 30 minutes a day

I would think that some violent video games actually create a healthy outlet for our aggressive feelings.

Someone cut you off in real life? go take it out on a game.

These things don't trigger normal people ... but we're never talking about normal people. It's the crazies playing them and then going apeshit that's the problem.

What I read from this is that adults that normally don't play video games do not become more aggressive after a short period of playing video games a small time per day. Doesn't address long term playing( > 1yr), excessive playing(say > 4hrs/day), or playing by people under the age of 18.

If the authors are correct when they say this was the most comprehensive test of video games causing aggression/bad behavior, then we really have no clue how long term game playing impacts kids who play hours per day for several years.

These things don't trigger normal people ... but we're never talking about normal people. It's the crazies playing them and then going apeshit that's the problem.
If they are that crazy, they will find something to trigger them no matter what. Road rage (let's ban all cars), look 'em in eye (let's ban looking at each other) etc.

What raises aggression? These idiotic marketing level types of easy answer pseudo science accusations is what.

Children kill and maim other children every year playing football. Will we ban that?

Violence is not "violence" unless you know the difference. If you grew up in a family/social structure/society where violence/cruelty was normal, then normal behavior would be vastly different from say.. a civil or caring/nurturing one. Blaming a video game for violent actions is like blaming the weapon or method used instead of the person or persons actually performing the action. I love violent video games and like millions of other players know its just a game. A mentally ill person might not be able to discern that... This last shooter seemed to be aware of his actions but im not a psychologist.

Violence is not "violence" unless you know the difference. If you grew up in a family/social structure/society where violence/cruelty was normal, then normal behavior would be vastly different from say.. a civil or caring/nurturing one. Blaming a video game for violent actions is like blaming the weapon or method used instead of the person or persons actually performing the action. I love violent video games and like millions of other players know its just a game. A mentally ill person might not be able to discern that... This last shooter seemed to be aware of his actions but im not a psychologist.

Uh sorry but no. Violence is violence regardless of what your mental state is. The only part where that comes into play is how society holds you accountable for it. I.E. if we get you help or lock you up etc. But regardless its still violence.

Reactions: WhoMe
like this
Uh sorry but no. Violence is violence regardless of what your mental state is. The only part where that comes into play is how society holds you accountable for it. I.E. if we get you help or lock you up etc. But regardless its still violence.

Still is in the perception of the individual, not the common consensus.

2040: You only have mental modifications to cure your problems at the source if you're super rich. But, Death Star AR 5000 is out!

I would think that some violent video games actually create a healthy outlet for our aggressive feelings.

Someone cut you off in real life? go take it out on a game.
Part of me agrees with you on this but another part of me says it could fuel the fantasy and convince the player to act on that fantasy. I don't believe there is a link any greater than there is with other forms of media. They all inspire the imagination and get a person to think, viewing the world through a different lens.

As someone who's kinda fucked in the head, games help me out and music has a pretty profound effect on me. However, I have never felt that the emotions they elicit make me want to take my aggression out on another.

The results of a study published this week in Molecular Psychiatry support the notion that violent video games do not actually raise aggression in people: in fact, they have little to no effect on a variety of other negative behaviors and traits that include anxiety and depression. The subjects comprised non-gamers who played 30 minutes of GTA V for two months.

To our knowledge, the present study employed the most comprehensive test battery spanning a multitude of domains in which changes due to violent video games may have been expected. Therefore, the present results provide strong evidence against the frequently debated negative effects of playing violent video games.

So the same people pushing drugs that are linked to mass shootings are studying videogames? I think their research is in the wrong place.

What do you think is a better indicator of a school shooter / serial killer:

• Tortures animals regularly

• Plays violent videogames

I think we have better indicators for what we should watch out for rather than violent videogames which hundreds of millions of people play without any problems.

30 years ago they blamed heavy metal music. As a metal head at the time, I never once thought of harming or killing someone over the lyrics. If anything, the music was a way to vent any anger I had at the time.

There's not one video game where I had the urge to go out and kill someone in real life because it was too violent. Only mental cases do that.

You're never going to stop a person dead set on killing people. These politically correct idiots can go fuck themselves.

Still is in the perception of the individual, not the common consensus.

So if I stab you six times and think I am sending you to God thats ok because I thought I was helping you out? Nope...I committed an act of violence against you. Violence is not based on perceptions its based on actions. I may not think I was violent but I was. Wishful or incorrect thinking will never change what actually happened.

Lets also not forgot how once it was thought that those who played D&D where into witchcraft or satanism

hahahah

Wait youre not?

So if I stab you six times and think I am sending you to God thats ok because I thought I was helping you out? Nope...I committed an act of violence against you. Violence is not based on perceptions its based on actions. I may not think I was violent but I was. Wishful or incorrect thinking will never change what actually happened.

Someones mental state at the time has nothing to do with as you say.. "helping you out" or not. it has to do with accountability not the result of the action. Calling something violent comes down to perception. Are there really violent video games? Nothing living or physical gets killed or damaged with intention, so instead they should be called simulated violence.. or something.

How would wishful or incorrect thinking change what occurred? Never said anything like that. My point was about the perpetrators mind at the time.
When i see a painting.. and say "that is beautiful", and someone else looks at the same painting and says "that's hideous" .. does that mean the painting physically changes when each of us look at it? no, the painting remains the same.. its our perception of the painting that is different.

- I think i see it now. I should have said .. Its only violence to that person or their perception of violence, if they are capable of discerning the difference.. instead of implying the definition or result of the act is determined by their perception. That was not my intention... my bad.

Last edited:
Cuz pokemon go is such a violent game...

That issue with Pokemon Go is the proximity of players mixed with the competitive environment, it was only a matter of time before someone already unstable used physical violence because they lost their 'gym'.

Violent video games may be the only thing that prevents people from taking their aggression out on other people. I know for one that I'd probably be on a shorter fuse if I couldn't unwind and troll people on Overwatch, BF1 and BF4

Back