Study: Mobile Phone Radiation May Affect Memory Performance in Adolescents

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Based on a study involving more than 700 teenagers, researchers at the Swiss Tropical and Public Health Institute say that mobile phones have a detrimental effect on figural memory performance, which is mainly located in the right hemisphere of the brain. Those who held phones to their right ear when making a call saw a decline in the ability to remember abstract forms, and scientists do not believe it is mere coincidence.

Other aspects of wireless communication use, such as sending text messages, playing games or browsing the Internet cause only marginal RF-EMF exposure to the brain and were not associated with the development of memory performance. "A unique feature of this study is the use of objectively collected mobile phone user data from mobile phone operators." said Röösli. He emphasized that further research is needed to rule out the influence of other factors.

Last edited:
You know. I'm about to run Cat5 cable to everything in the house and ditch any radio broadcasting stuff like a high powered WiFi router. I'm getting more and more convinced that is why Liberals are getting more violent. (lol. just had to throw in that last part). But seriously, we no longer keep our phones with us all of the time.

are they sure that it was the using the phone as a phone that caused the effects not the ever growing dependance on the internet for quick answers and supplemental thinking. Where as without the advent of cell phones they would have to remember and read from books...

You know. I'm about to run Cat5 cable to everything in the house and ditch any radio broadcasting stuff like a high powered WiFi router. I'm getting more and more convinced that is why Liberals are getting more violent. (lol. just had to throw in that last part). But seriously, we no longer keep our phones with us all of the time.
You realize as long as you live in any area with less than 100ft between residences you will still be covered by wifi cellular radio and tv broadcast radiation.... you literally will need to move to the area around a radio telescope... here is a list of options https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_National_Radio_Quiet_Zone#Cities_inside_the_Zone

Last edited:
Lol. Yeah. We live inside a weak microwave. Science best save us before we cook ourselves. Dooooomed

so alex jones was right again?!

oh and Dr Devra Davis says:
“In fact, a cellphone is a two-way microwave radio,” Dr. Davis points out. “Industry has fought successfully to use the phrase ‘radiofrequency energy’ instead of microwave radiation. Because they know radiofrequency energy sounds fine. We listen to music with radios. Everybody needs more energy. What could be better than that?

But radiofrequency energy is another word for microwave radiation. If people understood that they were holding a two-way microwave-radiating device next to their brain or next to their reproductive organs, they might think differently about it.”

So now we have a theory for 'Millennium Syndrome'.

I guess that explains it.

“In fact, a cellphone is a two-way microwave radio,” Dr. Davis points out. “Industry has fought successfully to use the phrase ‘radiofrequency energy’ instead of microwave radiation. Because they know radiofrequency energy sounds fine. We listen to music with radios. Everybody needs more energy. What could be better than that?

But radiofrequency energy is another word for microwave radiation. If people understood that they were holding a two-way microwave-radiating device next to their brain or next to their reproductive organs, they might think differently about it.”
Well sure, but microwave is often classified as a subset of the radio spectrum, if anything it's "high energy radio waves"

Its more likely that their memory is worse because they don't have to remember anything these days, if you don't know the answer to something, just get on the phone and google the answer !!

Simple truth is we are too hooked on this stuff. Too much money can distort anything and everything. Everyone can see, smell and feel all the shit we keep burning but all is fine. What about food? Nothing else matters if it tastes good and it's cheap. Radiation? It would take no less than a major zombie attack in a first world city for people to start giving a shit for an hour or so.

ShaoKahnWins-1.jpg

If the study is accurate, I wonder if using a wired headset would reduce the effects? If I'm going to be on a call for more than a few minutes, I'm usually using wireless headphones. These don't broadcast the same single strength as a cell phone (they are only good for maybe 20-30 feet vs a cell phone communicating with a radio tower.)
Next study - I would assume most guys have their cell phone in their front pockets. Should I start wearing shielded boxers? My wife already would be happier if I had filters in the rear side.

If the study is accurate, I wonder if using a wired headset would reduce the effects? If I'm going to be on a call for more than a few minutes, I'm usually using wireless headphones. These don't broadcast the same single strength as a cell phone (they are only good for maybe 20-30 feet vs a cell phone communicating with a radio tower.)
Next study - I would assume most guys have their cell phone in their front pockets. Should I start wearing shielded boxers? My wife already would be happier if I had filters in the rear side.

Wondering the same - and I use a plug-in headset (earbuds with mic) for the last few years.

Copperfit underwear. Farraday cage for the nads.
Edit- Give the joke to Duane, see what he does with it.

I'm sure there are a few places in Russia that will fulfill all of your requirements and point of view!

Anyways, as others have said, brain development is more likely being hampered by ease of access to information. No longer do you have to learn, information is immediately accessible thru a device in your pocket whether its accurate or not.

I would argue that instant-access information can be a good tool for learning - it just moves the problem away from memorization and research and more towards hands-on trial-and-error. Schools tend to put more priority on the book work, so kids end up loaded with trivial knowledge and no practical skills.

I work with so many plugins and libraries doing web development that it would be needlessly more difficult to do my job without documentation and examples available at an instant - so maybe I'm biased. But if you know what you need to know right now, where else are you going to look?

As for this microwave radiation stuff, it keeps popping back in the news every couple years. Before phones, there was a whole generation of kids that sat too close to the TV - is this any different in terms of the response?

May e they are affecred by say...not doing anything stimulating but sitting arou.d on a phone all day.

Microwaves use a magnetron gun to fire directed waves at 2.45ghz because that is the middle of the spectrum for unlicensed use of radio frequency and it is a pretty decent spot on the the water absorption of energy... the difference is our wifi devices use maybe 1W at most if you use more you need other fcc certs and are a different class of device our phones use maybe 20mW a microwave uses over 1KW models exist 700-2500W most home appliance are 1000-1500W they spike 2.45ghz while in use and can knockout wifi easy... you dont see the mass movement to ban microwaves... which hit us with far more than our cell phones do daily....

a cell phone uses
700MHz LTE (lower band)
710-716MHz 740-746MHz
AT&T current 4G/LTE

700MHz LTE (higher band)
746-757MHz 776-787MHz
Verizon current 4G/LTE

800MHz SMR/iDEN
806-866/869MHz
'Old' Nextel *Soon to be 1XRtt and LTE 4G

800MHz/850MHz
Cellular 824-896MHz
Traditional Cellular

GSM 900 (Europe/Asia)
890-960MHz
Euro/Asian GSM

900 MHz SMR/iDEN
896-940MHz
'New' Nextel (but must have both Old and new units)

AWS (UMTS Band 4)
1700/2100 1710-1755, 2110-2155MHz
New AWS Band (T-Mobile 3G/4G)

DCS 1800 (Europe/Asia)
1710-1785, 1805-1880MHz
Euro/Asian DCS

1900MHz PCS
1850-1990MHz
Traditional PCS

1900MHZ LTE
1850-1990MHz
'New' Sprint 4G/LTE

UMTS Band 1
1920-1980, 2110-2170MHz
Euro/Asian

Xohm/WiMAX
2.5-2.7GHz
Sprint/Clear 4G WiMAX * Sprint soon to launch LTE data on this spectrum

Last edited:
are they sure that it was the using the phone as a phone that caused the effects not the ever growing dependance on the internet for quick answers and supplemental thinking. Where as without the advent of cell phones they would have to remember and read from books.

And, once up on a time, people had a similar complaint about books. It's not the medium that people get information from, its how they use it. Kids are perfectly capable of remembering things, but modern teaching methods are not equipped to teach them proper ways to search information online and how to keep track of it all. The human mind is not unlimited. It is not possible for us to remember every single thing our brain processes. So if we have all of recorded human history at our fingertips we're more likely to gorge ourselves on the data and end up forgetting a lot as our brains simply get overloaded with new information.

I have done test to prove this study false, but I forgot what my results were.

No, not radiation, just that you don't need to remember anything because you can just look it up again.

are they sure that it was the using the phone as a phone that caused the effects not the ever growing dependance on the internet for quick answers and supplemental thinking. Where as without the advent of cell phones they would have to remember and read from books...

Came here to say this

Back