Study: Male Sellers On eBay Have Edge Over Women

HardOCP News

[H] News
While gender bias is certainly alive and well, I am a little skeptical of this study—aside from countless other variables, some of the researchers’ own experiments suggest that many can’t even tell whether an eBay user is male or female.

Successful sellers on eBay know certain things matter: item description, appealing photos, strong seller ratings and, of course, price. Now, a study published Friday in the journal Science Advances suggested another factor might make a subtle difference: whether the seller is a man or woman. Using data supplied by the company, researchers analyzed some 630,000 auction transactions on eBay in the United States and reported that, on average, when men and women with equal selling reputations sold the same products, women received lower prices than men.

So the men on eBay, on average, must do a better job of "selling" their items whether through better/more appealing descriptions, better pictures, or something else than women. If they can't tell the gender of the sellers and the discrepancy remains, then yeah.

Selling has everything to do with how the item is described and priced. Bad description or high price = move on. Time I spend on researching gender = 0% Time spent on deciding gender in purchase decision = 0%

Countdown until women "demand" to receive the same selling prices of their eBay goods as men.

How could you tell the gender of a seller? I don't even look at the username half the time.

Happenstance.
Pick any two features distinguishing two groups of sellers and you will never have the exact same price average from the two groups regardless of what the features are.
"unconscious" discrimination? lol.
"For some items, like toys and pet products, women received somewhat higher prices than men." More evidence of meaningless randomness.
ALERT! Latest study finds men and women are different.

Did both products start off at the same price? At the same time? With the same description? Did they look at every single item sold or just pick out one male and one female? Because maybe there were 20 people selling the same thing and the one male sold higher than everyone else.

Last week I was trying to find a tool for work. Very specialized tool that seems to have been disconnected for some odd reason as it is still very much in need. So went to ebay, found lots of people selling it new for around $1500-$2000. Then found one person that for some reason had one new for $500. They have a 100% positive rating so that was enough for me to buy the $500 one instead to save money. Now had this been a female seller I just gave her much less than what others were selling at. However it is because this person put it as buy now with a low price. My choice of buying from them had nothing to do with gender it was just price and rating.

If, with rare exceptions, buyers cannot determine the sex of the seller and men are slightly more successful on Ebay than women you must conclude the men selling on Ebay are slightly smarter than the women selling on Ebay. Granted there are successful women Ebay sellers and less than successful men sellers but according to the data presented men are better.

Or the man and woman who conducted the study and collected and analyzed the data are "less than competent"...

Back