Study: Google Fiber Could Raise Rents 11 Percent

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Gigabit-speed fiber services such as Google Fiber are expected to increase the cost of living by a considerable margin in available areas. Bay Area prices should be particularly interesting.

When fiber-delivered internet comes to an area, rent for apartments and condos could go up 11 percent, a new report says. Such a rise provides “better bottom lines” for landlords, said a press release from the Fiber to the Home Council, which put out the report. “These apartment and condominium owners and renters have lifestyles centering heavily on broadband use,” the report said. “(They) spend more time online and use online streaming video more than single family home residents of similar age. Fast and reliable broadband is now rated the single most important amenity.”

Wow. Must be the weekend. Such jibberish typically doesn't make it on [H]. Click bait. No factual information to back up the claim. And they are basing their analysis on San Francisco, possibly the most overpriced area in the US.

As much as I like fast internet I have rarely based my housing selection solely on internet (as long as a reasonable minimum is available). It is the overall cost that drives my selection. I have also moved when costs go up too quickly.

Wow. Must be the weekend. Such jibberish typically doesn't make it on [H]. Click bait. No factual information to back up the claim. And they are basing their analysis on San Francisco, possibly the most overpriced area in the US.

Maybe you should at least take some time to read more than the blurb before you speak because you're the only one talking jibberish lol.

The Tangible Value of Advanced Broadband To MDUs
Market Research was conducted among a random sample of over 2,000 multi dwelling unit (MDU) residents in the U.S. and Canada designed to determine the impact of broadband on both residents and the MDU properties.
Fiber to the Home Council : Blogs : Fiber Optic Broadband Boosts Value of Multifamily Homes

About the Fiber to the Home Council Americas
The Fiber to the Home (FTTH) Council Americas is a non-profit association consisting of companies and organizations that deliver video, Internet and/or voice services over high-bandwidth, next-generation, direct fiber optic connections - as well as those involved in planning and building FTTH networks. Its mission is to accelerate deployment of all-fiber access networks by demonstrating how fiber-enabled applications and solutions create value for service providers and their customers, promote economic development and enhance quality of life. More information about the Council can be found at http://www.ftthcouncil.org.

The council, an industry group counts Google as a member.

Then I can do without.

I have 150/150 FIOS, and I cannot conceive of a need for anything faster right now.

So you have fiber then. What exactly is the point you are trying to make?

This is specifically about GOOGLE fiber. The Gigabit flavor. It's not necessary and it's not worth it to give landlords yet another way to fuck over their tennants.

This is specifically about GOOGLE fiber. The Gigabit flavor. It's not necessary and it's not worth it to give landlords yet another way to fuck over their tennants.

No the article was referring to fiber, it said where Goggle's gigabit fiber was available rents could go up more then the 11%

"The finding about an 11 percent rent cost increase was based on fiber internet, not broadband in general. Gigabit-speed fiber service such as Google’s could raise rents even more, the report said."

Though its still bullshit the rents could increase. Damn money grabbing landlords. California needs to break off into the ocean and become its own country already.

Yes a highly desirable feature makes somewhere more expensive to live.

What an outrage!

Not that they're really expanding into San Francisco in any way that's useful for anyone not collecting welfare, but even if it did, rent control laws will not allow rents to go up 11% unless it's new building which 90% of it isn't.

This isn't unexpected, the connected homes offers a valuable feature that others do not. This won't cancel out unless every dwelling has the same capabilities.

There won't be any fiber in my area in my lifetime. I'm on 3mb DSL and lucky to have it. There's comcast but the pricing is robbery for up to 20mb service which is as fast as it can go in my area.

How dare people be expected to pay for a value added benefit of a super-wired home right?

Thats like complaining I have to pay extra for marble floors, and a jacuzzi that shoots champagne out the jets. And that big red button on the wall? I shouldn't have to pay extra for it even though when I hit it insanly hot women drop out of the ceiling and slap me in the face with perfectly oiled breasts.

Seriously, all that should be free amiright?

How dare people be expected to pay for a value added benefit of a super-wired home right?

Thats like complaining I have to pay extra for marble floors, and a jacuzzi that shoots champagne out the jets. And that big red button on the wall? I shouldn't have to pay extra for it even though when I hit it insanly hot women drop out of the ceiling and slap me in the face with perfectly oiled breasts.

Except those upgrades are paid for by the seller of the home. Internet access has sweet fuck all to do with any upgrades having been done to the home by the seller. So you've really made no point here at all, maybe you would have if these people paid to have google fiber access available to the home, but they don't, and frankly, they can't even if they wanted to. So no, it's basically like charging me more for rent because the city decided to bury the power lines in my area instead of mounted on poles. Of which I already paid for with taxes, and then pay for electricity on top of it in the first place.

I'm being priced out of my building. I saw a updated copy of the advertisement flier that's in the little plexiglas box on the front gate. They specifically list being able to choose between AT&T UVerse, Comcast and RCN as a selling point. The first item in the list, actually.

This clickbait bullshit. Might as well title it "Desired amenities result in higher rent."

Except those upgrades are paid for by the seller of the home. Internet access has sweet fuck all to do with any upgrades having been done to the home by the seller. So you've really made no point here at all, maybe you would have if these people paid to have google fiber access available to the home, but they don't, and frankly, they can't even if they wanted to. So no, it's basically like charging me more for rent because the city decided to bury the power lines in my area instead of mounted on poles. Of which I already paid for with taxes, and then pay for electricity on top of it in the first place.
Not at all. as all renters know, the number and desirability of features can affect both rent and rent growth. Whether my landlord paid for the feature is irrelevant if he has the feature and others do not, or if the feature is a highly desirable one. Renting the house directly under the High Voltage tower is generally much cheaper than one just 1000 feet away (even though both get power from the same tower).

I heard that people have heard that other people are 87% sure that 37% of the time a very fancy toilet (At least 57% fancier than a regular toilet) will raise the price of your house by as much as 17%. They also say that 97.446% of statistics on the internet are fabricated at the time of typing.

No the article was referring to fiber, it said where Goggle's gigabit fiber was available rents could go up more then the 11%

"The finding about an 11 percent rent cost increase was based on fiber internet, not broadband in general. Gigabit-speed fiber service such as Google’s could raise rents even more, the report said."

Right. No shit.

Using your logic then every place you rent shouldn't be pre-wired for telephone service then either huh? Do you argue that rent should be lower because you don't plan on using the water or sewer lines because you plan on shitting in a bucket?

Nobody is forcing you to sign up or pay for any google high speed service, but if a feature is available in certain areas it's going to increase the desirability and hence price that people are willing to pay. Ever wonder why people pay more money for homes in good school districts? Or why people are able to get cheaper housing if it's next to the train tracks?

If stopping progress is more your thing, I suggest a backwoods property in one of the less privileged states where rents are cheap and 1Mbit DSL is the norm.

Do you live close to a mass transit station in a big city, how about across the street from a park, did a bunch of highbtech jobs open uo in walking distance, are there good schools in the neighborhood, nonexistent crime rates, a neighborhood that is a suburbian wetdream just to look at, do you have accsss to cable or are you stuck with an antenna that gets 3 channels? all of these would aďd value to a rental property and have next to nothing to do with the home owned so why not fiber? Although this is just a study about the bayarea, why not look at early google fiber locations, did rents jump in KC??

I just got AT&T fiber at home, but my mortgage payment is still the same.

I don't see a problem with this. If I owned a property that suddenly had access to a utility that my competition does not, guess what, my property is now worth more money. I live in rural Maine, and the EXACT same thing is happening with gas lines. One of our smaller "cities" just started running gas lines down specific streets, and property values went up in those areas. If you don't like it, don't rent in those areas. Or better yet, BUY instead of renting.

I own a house in an area with Google Fiber in an area where I don't particularly want to stay.

...Kinda hoping for rental income when I move away, actually.
10% is kinda big, with how close to the break-even point for rents are vs the mortgage.

Though mine's in Utah, which isn't even close to the bay area.

The problem is that being fiber doesn't mean jack shit. Yes, people will pay for better "features" for rent. However simply being fiber doesn't mean anything. I can give you a place to move to that is 100% fiber. Your internet choices are

bronze 512K/256K $30
silver 1.5Mb/384K $50
gold 3Mb/512K $70
platinum 5Mb/768K $90
Diamond 10M/1M $140

which of those fiber speeds do you want? Which of those is worth higher rent? Fuck your super wired house if you live there.

There is a massive misunderstanding about what fiber actually means and what you get. Hell there is even a massive misunderstanding of what you get with Google fiber. When you aren't in a place fucking you over like that is what you get a good offer? Sure it can be. Are you going to get some insanely fast speeds that can't be meet by any other method of service? No. But buzz words sell things to people who are too stupid to actually be informed of things so you can trick them into paying more without them batting an eye.

I just got AT&T fiber at home, but my mortgage payment is still the same.

However if you go to sell your house, that little detail can help you get a little more than you could have before. Neighborhood few towns over from me, haven't had a new house in over 30 years. As soon as fiber became and option there suddenly 3 new houses went up. Another person wouldn't let the telephone company replace the copper to the house with fiber since they were selling their house and didn't want the yard dug up for the drop. As soon as people heard others had it in the area but not this house they started to not want to see it anymore not realizing all they had to do was call the telephone company and ask for service which would have been forced to be fiber even if just dial tone. Owner quickly changed their mind, called and had their copper replaced with fiber and upped the asking price of their house. They sold it to the very next person that came to look at it.

The solution is so simple people seem to be ignoring it... if you don't want to pay for the extra features... which could be things like Fiber, or something basic like a toilet.... then you go find a place that's suitable to your budget and desired features (or lack thereof)

It's not societies job to stall itself out and stop any and all progress just because a few people don't feel like paying for the option or the value added to a home from it's amenities. When I was renting, I didn't care that much about having an awesome pool or gym on site at my complex... I still paid for it though because it's an option I have to use should I feel like it. If I was genuinely against paying for such amenities I could simply find a shittier apartment to go live in with none of those features.

At the end of the day nobody is forcing anyone to do anything. If one feels that strongly about it, go someplace less progressive and/or technically advanced.

Fast and reliable broadband is now rated the single most important amenity.

Gee, don't tell that to he current Australian LNP Government. They demolished a 4 year-in-process Fibre to the Home nation wide rollout to install.... last centuries copper based DSL "technology"!!

*cries*

Using your logic then every place you rent shouldn't be pre-wired for telephone service then either huh? Do you argue that rent should be lower because you don't plan on using the water or sewer lines because you plan on shitting in a bucket?

Nobody is forcing you to sign up or pay for any google high speed service, but if a feature is available in certain areas it's going to increase the desirability and hence price that people are willing to pay. Ever wonder why people pay more money for homes in good school districts? Or why people are able to get cheaper housing if it's next to the train tracks?

If stopping progress is more your thing, I suggest a backwoods property in one of the less privileged states where rents are cheap and 1Mbit DSL is the norm.

When they include pre installation to my specifications of the fiber network in the home we'll talk. until then it's just bullshit, thankfully where i live isn't full of window licking retards so internet access of any quality has never changed rent prices, sorry for anyone who's got people so stupid they'll do this, and people dumber that pay it in enough quantity to enforce it as a good decision.

Also you can go fuck yourself with the insults good sir, i suggest a jail room shower after "exercise time". You don't know, how I live, what my views are or anything about me, take your judgemental bullshit and jump in a volcano with it :)

Jesus... ITT you can really tell who actually read the article, and who just responded to the headline/excerpt.

Back