Study Finds That Taking Selfie Pics in Dangerous Situations Is on the Rise

cageymaru

Fully [H]
A recent medical study from India found that 259 people have died in 137 incidents when they practiced dangerous and reckless behavior while taking a selfie picture. They excluded deaths due to mobile phone usage and reports from non-English sources so the number of worldwide deaths could have been much higher. Reasons why people put themselves into potentially dangerous situations to get the perfect shot included social media recognition and self-expression, contests with prizes from schools all the way to the college level, trying to be "cool", and more.
Young males tend to be more apt to seek out dangerous thrills so they accounted for 72.5% of the deaths even though females take more selfie pictures. The average age of death was 22.94 years old with a range from 10 - 68 years old. Most selfie deaths that occur around motor vehicles are reported as traffic accidents so they weren't accurately represented in the study. Some cities have started creating "no selfie" zones to combat the incidents of people getting seriously injured.

The highest number of incidents and selfie-deaths has been reported in India followed by Russia, United States, and Pakistan. Drowning, transport, and fall form the topmost reasons for deaths caused by selfies. From October 2011 to November 2017, there have been 259 deaths while clicking selfies in 137 incidents. There have been 3 selfie-related deaths reported in 2011; 2 in 2013; 13 in 2014; 50 in 2015; 98 and 93, respectively, in 2016 and 2017.

maxresdefault.jpg

I literally almost puked from just seeing that hong kong pic wow that is nuts.

The last time someone was racist to my wife was a park ranger at custer park south dakota, and we laugh about it at least once a month. My wife is asian and the "Self stick" was huge 3 years ago ... so on park entry the ranger kept saying "no selfies" when we paid. I'm like ya I get it, no selfies we dont want to die from a Buffalo .
The ranger walks around the car and sticks his head in the window about a few inches from my wife's face "NO SELFIES!" , were like ya we get it. 10 seconds later he does it again "do you understand me, no selfies" ... ok we get it "asian sterotype with selfie sticks". So my wife does her best FOB asian voice "ohhh yassss thank you . selfies? selfffiiees. no selfie"

about 10 minutes into the park we see a bunch of buffalo on one side of the fence and about 2 dozen white people OUT OF THERE CARS on the other side taking selfies... next to park rangers. My wife starts recording "well this may get me famous if we see a goring" lol .

Over the course of 7 years? Wonder what is above and below that stat in the list of worldwide deaths. I get the whole lets create selfie free zones to protect people, but is it really more of a danger than maybe just broken side walks? I would assume more people die a year from blood clots from sitting too long, should we legally regulate every aspect of ones life to help them live safer?

Just being a dick I know, but I feel like the selfie free zones are just a giant overreaction.

Over the course of 7 years? Wonder what is above and below that stat in the list of worldwide deaths. I get the whole lets create selfie free zones to protect people, but is it really more of a danger than maybe just broken side walks? I would assume more people die a year from blood clots from sitting too long, should we legally regulate every aspect of ones life to help them live safer?

Just being a dick I know, but I feel like the selfie free zones are just a giant overreaction.
You're not being a dick.
You're entirely correct.

Mandatory requirement for daily life, coming soon from your friendly government agency.
bubblewrap.jpg

I need to dig through my old boxes of pictures. Assuming it hasn't wandered off or disintegrated due to age, I have a picture I took of my self driving a go-cart during a high school field trip. Used some variation of the Kodak Instamatic camera. Stupid camera tricks aren't a new thing.

But that HK pict hits a couple of my phobias.

If anything this dangerous selfie garbage is reducing dangerous behavior because now the kids are displaying it in sight of their parents. When I was a kid I did dangerous and stupid shit too and no one outside of whatever girl or friends I was trying to impress, no one knew about it.

Cost of cleaning up body spill from selfie accidents: $10,000
Increase in average IQ: Priceless

My wife teaches middle school kids. Tonight at dinner, she tells me of challenges she ran into today - it's called "no balls challenge" - if you don't do it, they call you no balls (or no boobs if female) for the rest of the school year.
One kid ate part of a glue stick. Another drank hand sanitizer. Both kids were sent to the nurses office.
At least the glue stick might not be totally toxic. Hand sanitizer is toxic. These are the idiots that will be taking risky selfies (if they survive long enough)

My wife teaches middle school kids. Tonight at dinner, she tells me of challenges she ran into today - it's called "no balls challenge" - if you don't do it, they call you no balls (or no boobs if female) for the rest of the school year.
One kid ate part of a glue stick. Another drank hand sanitizer. Both kids were sent to the nurses office.
At least the glue stick might not be totally toxic. Hand sanitizer is toxic. These are the idiots that will be taking risky selfies (if they survive long enough)

Kids have been eating glue and paste for decades. Hand sanitizer might be a problem but I had my mouth washed out with soap at school by a noon lady.

Back