Study: Even Watching TV Can Kill You

HardOCP News

[H] News
If the data from this study is accurate, binge watching your favorite shows on Netflix will be the leading cause of death by 2020. Thanks Netflix. Thanks a lot. :mad:

Japanese scientists studied the viewing habits of 86,000 people between 1988 and 1990 - then monitored their health over the next 19 years. They discovered that every additional two hours of TV per day increased the chance of a fatal pulmonary embolism - or blood clot in the lungs - by 40%. Those who watched five hours or more were more than twice as likely to die than those watching less than 2.5 hours.

Yep, I went to Europe and travelled around for over 2 months, no computer, just an iPad, came back feeling healthy but now feel like a slug again from sitting at my computer too much. Gained all my lost weight back too. :(

So.... 40% of those people died by pulmonary embolism?

Somehow not moving for extremely long periods of time slows your blood flow and increases your risk of blood clots, which way or may not kill you?

Watching Netflix also causes you to not move for extremely long periods of time?

Clearly that is a lot of progress found over 19 years

so how long until they announce that doing these studies will kill you as well..

Yep, massage helps the blood to flow. You can buy foot massagers that help too.

I don't mind the study, but I hate these kinds of "reports".

Those who watched five hours or more were more than twice as likely to die than those watching less than 2.5 hours.

Twice as likely to die? OK, perhaps that's true. But what's the context? If you have 10000 people, and 4 people die who watch 5 hours of TV, and 2 die who watch no TV, it's twice as likely, but that doesn't mean it's anything to be worried about. Way too many "reports" on these studies just report scare factors of large comparisons instead of numbers that are so small to begin with, because 40, 50, 60% sound so much scarier to create click bait.

I have to watch television 5 hours a day to die? I don't have time for that. *jumps out 4th floor window*

Can we sue Netflix and all TV stations, computer makers, and furniture makers for causing us health issues and death? Like those handy lighters to light up bbq grills. Who knew they were hot!! We need warning labels. I'll just sue every company.

/S

I've never been able to sit still for extended periods of time, probably why I can't sleep on airplanes. Even if I play 12-14 hours, I usually get up at least every 1-2 hours if not more often.

That's why I minimize dangerous activities like watching TV, and instead do more active things like wearing "white power" shirts at a BLM protest and work on my cardio.

That's why I minimize dangerous activities like watching TV, and instead do more active things like wearing "white power" shirts at a BLM protest and work on my cardio.
LMAO, that made me crack up. I'm sure you'd get lots of exercise.

Wonder if the actual study did any breakout of death rate by type of shows watched? Some folks get a pretty good workout yelling when their team's QB tosses an interception.

My big Beef with TV is all the excessive flashing between cut sceens which is basically acting like a big strobe light even if you have the brightness turned down I mean commercials are the worst at this by far. Just to catch your attention with the light and pimp their products. I haven't watch TV daily since 2005 but commercials and Kids cartoons are the worst offenders when it comes to strobe lighting your kids up.
It's not a joke.....

My big Beef with TV is all the excessive flashing between cut sceens which is basically acting like a big strobe light even if you have the brightness turned down I mean commercials are the worst at this by far. Just to catch your attention with the light and pimp their products. I haven't watch TV daily since 2005 but commercials and Kids cartoons are the worst offenders when it comes to strobe lighting your kids up.
It's not a joke.....

True. Given that such flashing can trigger epileptic seizures, I'm surprised there've been no law suits.
That also contributes to the short attention span issues that plague our culture.

TV kills in several ways.

Bill Hicks (he even died!):
Watch 'Headline News' for an hour. It's the most depressing thing you'll ever do: war, famine, death, AIDS, homeless, depression, recession, drought, flood, pit bull, war, famine, death, AIDS. Then you look out your window, and it's like, where's all this stuff happening? Ted Turner's making this stuff up, man.

Another way is getting a stroke from being constantly talked down to. It seems every bit of numerical data must be represented in an equivalent amount of football fields.

Setting the volume to 11 during commercials has to be like the #1 reason remote control batteries don't last forever. Volume up, volume down, volume up, volume down.

Thank God I don't have a lawn.

Back