Student Suspended For CS Map

HardOCP News

[H] News
The case involving the student that was suspended after making a Counter-Strike map resembling his school is still dragging on. A special meeting of the school board was delayed after four board members refused to attend.

School district police investigated the report and questioned the student at school and then visited his home. The student's parents gave police permission to search the 12th-grader's room and computer. Simpson said police determined no criminal charges were warranted but that disciplinary action was.

The case involving the student that was suspended after making a Counter-Strike map resembling his school is still dragging on. A special meeting of the school board was delayed after four board members refused to attend.

I heard they confiscated a hammer from his house.

I'm not sure he had a permit for that hammer... I wonder if it was a standard 22oz framing hammer or a 3lb sledge. Waffle or flat head? Claw or no?

I don't blame those board members for refusing to attend.

If it had been the Sims, that wouldn't have pissed anyone off... except maybe if he "hot-coffee" re-skinned the hot biology teacher.

This was done entirely at his home, and as far as we know he made no threats toward the school. Counter-Strike is, in itself, violent. However, that doesn't mean that whoever plays CS is mal-adjusted or violent.

Now, throw in a few bots and name them his classmates and teachers - now we've got a case. As it is, just making a map is not grounds for suspension. Hell, give the incoming freshmen a virtual tour on the thing.

I remember, when i was young, using Duke Nukem's level editor to make a rendition of my house and my aunts house. My creativity and attention to detail was rewarded and encouraged, not shunned.

This is nothing more than a knee jerk reaction made by a group of people that we as society have trusted to be smarter than they are currently acting.

After reading that article, it is worrisome that some of the board members didn't attend for the wrong reasons.

Smelley, the board president didn't attend because it "circumvent[ed] the normal disciplinary process". I think if it wasn't for the Virginia Tech shootings the normal disciplinary process wouldn't be to suspend a student over something like this.

What wasn't also mentioned was that there was a rubber knife found in his room which constituted as a weapon by the campus police....Of course, that type of information would be too biased for the Houston Chronicle to report.

Good, he should be arrested. What possible use could someone have for a videogame other than for terrorism?

:rolleyes:

Since Jack Thompson blames video games for violence in schools(calling Counter-Strike a murder simulator), can we blame Jack Thompson for acts of terrorism by making all members of the faculty at this school paranoid? :rolleyes:

Since Jack Thompson blames video games for violence in schools(calling Counter-Strike a murder simulator), can we blame Jack Thompson for acts of terrorism by making all members of the faculty at this school paranoid? :rolleyes:

Well we could sue him, since you can sue anybody, for anything, at anytime we could sue him for endangering the learning process of our children, not granting them due process or arresting them under false pretenses. Why doesn't an average person do that so we can rid ourselves legally of Mr. Thompson. We could also sue Mr. Thompson because his name is also the name of a gun! He's promoting guns! :eek:

That came from the law class that I'm taking.

In this case, the school was far more demented than the child.

Kids used to play cowboys and indians, or war around their house and schoolyards. There's no difference between this and playing CS in your house or around your school.

This is sick paranoia at its worst.

What really gets me is, the more paranoid society gets... the more the real tragedies seem to happen.. They seem to be great at stopping people who aren't doing anything while the ones that ultimately go berserk are never noticed! :confused:

We made a ye-old Doom map of our school grounds...even changed the exploding barrel's to be a wicket getting bowled out ( a cricket thing ) .... never did me any harm - infact some teachers though it was a rather good reconstruction :)
Doug

Well I also did a map of my school like 5 years ago. I played on it with friends at the school's LAN. Everybody thought it was really cool. I'm happy that I don't live in the USA so that I have the possibility to do fun things like that.

My sister goes to the same highschool he goes to... but im homeschooled :p. Anyways my sister says probibly the reason why they suspended him was because he looked like cho a bit.

The kid should be rewarded for his efforts to create a tactical environment for training local law enforcement. Think of how much effective a SWAT assault team would if they could train on CS maps of all the schools in their area.

I worry that we are getting so soft that any terrorist with a gum ball will rule over the education sheep.

I have instructed my children in the case of a school lock down inwhich they feel they are in imminent danger to NOT huddle in the corner of their classroom with their teacher as they practice, but to GET THE HELL OUT OF THERE through a window. I don't understand the policy of "hiding" behind a locked classroom door. Just makes for a larger splash when the bad guy unloads... yeah, yeah, yeah I know, it keeps the halls clear so the good guys have better fields of fire... yada yada yada, like they hustled right in to save the kids in Columbine, or responsed quickly to the first shooting at VT... . When the shooting starts you are on your own.

I guess that means I have to scrap my plans for making a map of my highschool now.

Some adults are getting way to paranoid about things nowadays. I think they are just afraid of how easy it is to do things compared to how it was "back then." Well the ones that don't keep up to date at least.

When I was in school I tried to make one, we came up with neat ideas for a cool map. I don't really see the harm in it, I'm sure a lot of maps are modeled after something in real life.

I remember, when i was young, using Duke Nukem's level editor to make a rendition of my house and my aunts house. My creativity and attention to detail was rewarded and encouraged, not shunned.

This is nothing more than a knee jerk reaction made by a group of people that we as society have trusted to be smarter than they are currently acting.

Haha....and I thought i was the only one. I actually authored a DN3 map of my former high school back in '97 when I used to play Duke Nuk'em 3 a lot. Myself and a friend testing it out, but I'd never release it for the very same reason this thread is about.

Stupidity is so rampant these days, it makes me want to just hide from society forever. :mad: This kid did nothing wrong and people shouldn't react the way they're doing. I'd say he was just sharpening his mapping skills on something that he was familiar with.

Ax

That's why you just need to let your kids carry a concealed weapon. Screw it. Better to be jufged by 12 than carried by 6.

Sweet, "An armed society is a polite society".. I agree on it's face, unfortunately, todays kids are, on average, way too underparented, to be trusted with a firearm...

I also tried to make a CS map of my high school, as well as my home. This guy didn't make the map because he wants to shoot people at the school. He made it because it's awesome to see a place that you personally know in a video game. Which video game it's in is not important, just that it's in one. He probably just picked CS because that's what he plays and knows, not to mention it has one of the best free level editors.

It's just like if you saw your high school in a movie... it's cool, right!?!

All this "video games cause violence" $h1t has GOT to go. It JUST doesn't, sorry! If anything, I would think it PREVENTS more violence than it has ever caused. If someone did have the stupid idea that they wanted to shoot stuff, they can just do it in a video game instead of real life!!! And Jack Thompson, please just jump from a high cliff. All you do is make people pissed off. You being alive is truly detrimental to the world.

After reading that article, it is worrisome that some of the board members didn't attend for the wrong reasons.

Smelley, the board president didn't attend because it "circumvent[ed] the normal disciplinary process". I think if it wasn't for the Virginia Tech shootings the normal disciplinary process wouldn't be to suspend a student over something like this.

What wasn't also mentioned was that there was a rubber knife found in his room which constituted as a weapon by the campus police....Of course, that type of information would be too biased for the Houston Chronicle to report.

wait, they stole what makes him walk fast. them bastards

ok...now that im a little calmer...this kid and his attorney are retarded...i have their defense:

Its a terrorist/anti-terrorist game...who is to say he plays as the terrorist? Maybe he set it so he can practice in case REAL terrorist take over the school.

Wasnt there a movie in the 80s where terrorist took over a boys school and the kids had to stop them? Same thing here....he should get an award and share his lvl with the cops so they can practice just incase something really does happen :D

Rubber knife? Found in his bedroom in his parent's house!? How does the campus police have ANY jurisdiction of that?

...and the parents simply let the police walk in to come and search his machine?

Kids are going to have to start encrypting their drives if they want to keep any privacy they have left.

Wow, the retarded paranoia in today's culture never ceases to amaze me. :eek:

Good, he should be arrested. What possible use could someone have for a videogame other than for terrorism?

:rolleyes:

waste of time and tax payer money

Rampant paranoia at its best. Geez these guys sure know how to make something small into something gigantic. Also thanks to the news for spreading more useless moronic non news. :rolleyes:

they took a hammer, hahahaha

They might as well have taken every solid object in the house. He could hurt someone with a microwave or pencil OMG get that candle he might try and burn someone

Couldn't find the edit button. Correction about the rubber knife, it should have been a rubber hammer.

I had a friend make a cs map of his whole neighborhood. The only house you could go in was his. It was a rescue the hostages map. Really fun. Another fun one was the walmart map. I think real life maps are really cool. I am really surpised other maps of schools and other "public" buildings have not been made.

I would be more scared of the party seen then any FPS map of a school, church, public building.

My feelings are that you (Parents) need to spend time with your children. Pretty simple. That alone would curb a huge % of these types of "issues" Parents simple need to be parents and not try to make the system do it for them.

Just my two cents.

Just so you know I am a gamer dad. I have raised my kids playing computer games together. Now we play sports, ride bikes, walk the dog and go many other family activities but computer games still ocupy a fair amount of our Father and child time.

I talked about this in the thread someone posted in soapbox but I'll go into it here again. Back when I was in HS(I'm 23 now) we use to play quake games before school and during down time on school computers with maps of the school as one of the levels. No harm done. Hell more then a few teachers made comments on how good of a job we did on the level design. Pretty sad how far we have come...

The kid did this off school grounds. They have no control over him. Simple as that. School tried to punish me before over shit that happened off school grounds. Mom would walk in and have her words with the principle. Pretty much told them to fuck off(she had no issue raising her voice to them if needed). Never got in trouble. Hell had the principle have to apologize to me more then once. If I got in trouble on school grounds then she would back them. Brother got in trouble at the school breaking something. They wanted to suspend him and she told them no as it would be a vacation. Her idea was to put him in the in-school detention and clean the school with the janators at night(bathrooms was what she wanted him to do).

Seems like a few of the trustees didn't have the balls to show. I'm sorry that is admitting guilt to me. As much as I hate seeing lawsuits drain an areas budget I really hope this school system is made an example of. It needs to be shown that the kid has some rights. With any luck they will sue the living hell out of that system. Those trustees that refused to show up need to be removed.

Scary.. I attempted to do the same thing when I was in high school but gave up because mapping is hard

I heard they confiscated a hammer from his house.

I'm not sure he had a permit for that hammer... I wonder if it was a standard 22oz framing hammer or a 3lb sledge. Waffle or flat head? Claw or no?

I don't blame those board members for refusing to attend.

I heard it was a fully loaded assault hammer.

Back