Student Expelled For Swearing On The Internet

Lot of those going around here. Expelled from school is nothing compared to what they did.

Morality is out the window in conservative land that injects lethal force for little things.

Lot of those going around here. Expelled from school is nothing compared to what they did.

Morality is out the window in conservative land that injects lethal force for little things.

What are talking about? The word conservative has practically been expelled from schools.

He said a forbidden word! Deny him an education, or at least make the path to learning much more difficult!

That will make this country a better place for sure. We might all end up poor and uneducated, but we don't say naughty words.

Expelled for fucking swearing on a fucking school's laptop at home in the god damn early morning? Expelled, really? Should've been a week tops of in school suspension, that is what I got when my passenger pressed my curse out box which was hooked up to some external speakers on my car when the resource officer and VP passed by my car. The phrase that box used was "fuck you" when he pressed it.

I like how YOU either didn't read and are a hypocrite or you lack reading comprehension. First paragraph, last sentence "...he used a school-owned computer..".

It's been proven a few times over that the school has no right to watch what is done on the computers after school hours have ended. They can "block and enforce" but not log and watch.

Have I missed something? I dont see much difference in this than back when I was in school and the trouble we could get into for defacing a textbook...except the times are a bit tougher and I would bet a laptop costs more than a standard Scrips textbook.

Was there a written agreement as to what the laptop was to be used for? Was there a "moral clause" as well, outlining what disciplinary action would be taken for any infractions?

Bottom line, a child has no "freedom of speech" guarantee...because a child has no real rights while they are in school...and some of the rights they do have outside of school can be impacted by what they choose to do...just like this "kid".

If they are in school to "learn", then they probably need to learn what they can and cant do with school property...even if they are allowed to take it home...

Your comparison is shit. Posting a "bad word" doesn't damage the laptop in the slighest and unless things were way worse where you were at than where I was, people generally didn't get expelled for damaging textbooks: they got fined and detention.

This is a case of a school system losing its fucking mind over the unbelievable moral outrage that *gasp* a student might know a "dirty" word and might choose to use said word on a service which he owns an account on. Odds are unless they have their ducks VERY well lined up (and possibly even if they are) then they're liable to wind up with a lawsuit on their hands.

Of course, if they do then they'll entirely deserve it. Fuck 'em.

He said a forbidden word! Deny him an education, or at least make the path to learning much more difficult!

That will make this country a better place for sure. We might all end up poor and uneducated, but we don't say naughty words.

Kind of like strapping a bomb on somebody to die then asks to fight for them.

I swear of some of these guys with power have no fucking sense. You know they had to do dirt on other people just to get to where they are.

I've been studying up on people with power and they are most likely to be psychopaths or sociopaths.

So, is this another case of "jump up and down while screaming without knowing the full story" like I see a lot on the internet?

Heres what I do know, just from reading the original post here...no link clicking...

1) Child uses a laptop provided by the school...
2) Child uses said laptop to log into his "personal" Twitter account...
3) While logged into said personal Twitter account, child makes a post using a curse word/words...
4) Child is expelled from the school in which previously gave him a laptop for using t to curse on his personal Twitter account....

Have I missed something? I dont see much difference in this than back when I was in school and the trouble we could get into for defacing a textbook...except the times are a bit tougher and I would bet a laptop costs more than a standard Scrips textbook.

I think it would be more like if the school issued you a number 2 pencil and you went home got a piece of paper out of your dads desk wrote "bad word" on it and then taped it to your garage door. And then the school expelling you for that, citing that it was because you used their number 2 pencil.

While I don't think its uncommon for us to think of a private business holding its employees to this type of standard, you can find a job anywhere. Children do not have such a wide array of choices when it comes to local public school districts. Lord knows I've know people that have gotten fired for doing something questionable with their work email that had absolutly zero impact on their work ethic.

JFC, you gotta be kidding me?

Having gotten in trouble multiple times in school (back in the early-90's) for swearing, usually during lunch & shop (accidents happen), I only got detention (numerous times), but never expelled, maybe my high GPA had something to do with it, dunno, so.... WTF is going on today!

Typical school over-reaction. It's no wonder today's kids don't give a shit.

Why do people think swearing on Twitter is the same as swearing in the hallway or lunchroom?
How is that even a sane conclusion to draw? Think about that for a moment. Who hears when you swear in the hallway? Who hears (sees) when you swear on Twitter? How long does a swear in the hallway last? How long does a swear on Twitter last?

I'm a bit skeptical too.
Do we even know the backstory to this student? Did he have mutliple issues before this that lead up to his expulsion? Was this the "straw that broke the back" sort of thing?

Meh - principal going on a powertrip is nothing new. But to expell a high school senior (pretty sure only 1-2 months from graduation) = truly wtf.

As for this statement, I can't stop laughing:
The principal at Garrett High School claims their system tracks all the tweets on Twitter when a student logs in, meaning even if he did tweet it from home their system could have recognized it when he logged in again at school.

I never got more than a "don't swear in my class" comment. I think I probably got away with quite a bit in school.

Wow times have changed. I used to curse up a storm in class and most people found it funny. Hell even my teacher would join in with a shit or two.

I love to check out these threads when it comes to "rights." The posts are especially hilarious when someone takes a stand that shows they're absolutely ignorant of the rights they demand.

1. Have you actually READ the amendments to the Constitution? Quick...without looking on Google or any other search...what's the first thing that the First Amendment guarantees?

2. What has the Supreme Court said about the right to free speech for minors? Can you name the landmark decision?

3. Can states make law that reverses federal law? Can states make law that is more restrictive than federal law? Can private entities make rules that are more restrictive than federal or state law?

4. Do Constitutional "search and seizure" laws apply to a public school, with respect to students lockers? Why or why not?

5. Does having an opportunity to act constitute a right to act? What exactly does "the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" mean in the context of exercising your rights, and where are the boundaries?

You have the rights that the government, under which protection you live, gives you, as long as you act responsibly with respect to the law. No more, no less.

"You have the rights that the government, under which protection you live, gives you, as long as you act responsibly with respect to the law. No more, no less."

You make it sound like the Government are the supreme power of the land but in a democracy it is its people who are the supreme power. Something you seem to have forgotten. Oh right, but you will now claim the USA is a Republic and not a Democracy.

Technically it is a representative democracy but our representatives don't represent the people any longer, they represent corporations, which are (conveniently) not listed in the Constitution as equal to 'people'

imo school's are a fucking joke these days.

2011 sr year, i go and take 8th in the nation for pc servicing and troubleshooting, i went with my friend who had taken 9th in the nation for cisco networking and repair. We competed in DC, which we flew to, but we had to fly out of dayton, which was a smooth 3 hour 1 way drive, so we drove down (he had a license). we win, we fly back to dayton, we drive home. Upon arriving at school the next day we are immediately suspended for 3 days (only 5 days left of school) because we drove down by ourselves.

their only reasoning was that because i was a minor and he was driving as a minor that the school could have possibly maybe been liable. i'm surprised school's don't expel people for driving their friends to and from school, or for high fiving in the hall way (possible gang sign!)

What ever happened to schools teaching and empowering young minds to flex their rights and freedoms in this country?

It seems schools are far more concerned about teaching aspects of morality by brute force and an appeal to consequences rather than actually teaching through an appeal to dialogue and reason.

I remember my high school years. I would curse like a fucking sailor (I don't fucking curse anymore, though. Thankfully I grew out of that shit) and the teachers would let a couple slip every now and again. It wasn't ever a big deal and actually sort of humanized them. Nowadays with lawsuits and handcuffs flying around every which way it's no surprise schools are far more concerned with behavior than they are with legitimate teaching.

It's far easier to yell at someone and sever ties than it is to explain why it's wrong and hope they've learned something from it. But why in the hell would they want to do that?

It's slowly becoming a nation of pussies who appeal to the court system rather than to conversation. If a teacher were to have posted something much like he did on twitter the school would still throw a fucking senseless fit and the PTA would call for the teacher's head. Who cares? Jesus, grow up.

imo school's are a fucking joke these days.

2011 sr year, i go and take 8th in the nation for pc servicing and troubleshooting, i went with my friend who had taken 9th in the nation for cisco networking and repair. We competed in DC, which we flew to, but we had to fly out of dayton, which was a smooth 3 hour 1 way drive, so we drove down (he had a license). we win, we fly back to dayton, we drive home. Upon arriving at school the next day we are immediately suspended for 3 days (only 5 days left of school) because we drove down by ourselves.

their only reasoning was that because i was a minor and he was driving as a minor that the school could have possibly maybe been liable. i'm surprised school's don't expel people for driving their friends to and from school, or for high fiving in the hall way (possible gang sign!)

You were traveling to and from what was essentially a school function right? Kind of like an extended field trip. There's a reason why schools don't just hand the keys to the buses to any wide-eyed-pizza-face when he needs to get somewhere.

It might seem dumb, but what would the court (or public) think when it finds out the teenager who careened over a guardrail into oncoming traffic did so at the request and direction of his school? They'd probably say "well gee, if only this idiot were being driven by a parent or an experienced driver, certified to transport students, this may not have happened. Here's your million dollars in punitive damages".

You were traveling to and from what was essentially a school function right? Kind of like an extended field trip. There's a reason why schools don't just hand the keys to the buses to any wide-eyed-pizza-face when he needs to get somewhere.

It might seem dumb, but what would the court (or public) think when it finds out the teenager who careened over a guardrail into oncoming traffic did so at the request and direction of his school? They'd probably say "well gee, if only this idiot were being driven by a parent or an experienced driver, certified to transport students, this may not have happened. Here's your million dollars in punitive damages".

But it didn't happen. Nice straw man, however! Kudos!

There isn't :rolleyes: smiley big enough.

Your opinion. I beg to completely differ on it, but your opinion. I can just as well change that to inmates if I wanted to and I'd still 100% agree with my comment. Your rights as an American go straight out the door for those 4 years of high school.

Your opinion. I beg to completely differ on it, but your opinion. I can just as well change that to inmates if I wanted to and I'd still 100% agree with my comment. Your rights as an American go straight out the door for those 4 years of high school.

Do you really believe that inmates and illegal immigrants enjoy more rights and freedoms than average citizens in the US? If so, upon what information do you base that opinion?

Do you really believe that inmates and illegal immigrants enjoy more rights and freedoms than average citizens in the US? If so, upon what information do you base that opinion?

We could start with the insurance mandate. Also, I'm pretty sure inmates get free medical w/o being forced to pay into the system.

As for freedom of speech rights, this wasn't yelling "fire" in a theater. If his twitter account said "poop" should he be expelled? What about mentioning "Harry Potter," a known sorcerer, or using the word "sad." It's a slippery slope, we've gone from what should have been a 10 minute discussion with the principal, to expulsion.

Worst case scenario is they should have revoked his school laptop access and given him detention.

We could start with the insurance mandate. Also, I'm pretty sure inmates get free medical w/o being forced to pay into the system.

That's a specious argument. The trade off for the free basic medical care given to inmates is, you know, being locked away in a violent prison. The trade off for the free basic medical care available to everyone else is being saddled with insurmountable debt for the rest of their life. But I agree, everyone on American soil should have free access to universal health care services.

Let's face facts, apart from teaching the basics the other purpose of the school system is to brainwash us into being good little consumerist zombies. That is what the original movie Dawn of the Dead was referring to and is not an action monster flick made just for fun.

Back