Student edition vs. normal Vista Home Upgarade

rbarr110

Limp Gawd
My wife is currently enrolled in college, and am debating on getting the Vista Home Premium Upgrade student deal. I just was curious as to what the difference is between a normal Vista copy and a student version.

Thanks

Also, legally, you are supposed to stop using it once you are no longer a student.:D

I think that depends how you purchase Vista. I posted this in the Hot Deals thread for the discounted version available from AcademicSuperstore:

http://www.microsoft.com/Education/AcademicDiscounts.mspx

My take is that the version in the OP is exactly the same license as retail, it's just discounted.

Microsoft offers discounts to educators on boxed retail software products. Retail discounts provide a quick and easy way to get discounted Microsoft software. To get your discounted retail software:

1. Contact a Microsoft Authorized Education Reseller
Our most popular retail products are available as Academic Edition full packaged product (FPP), which include the same great software as the regular retail versions but with discounted pricing. Academic Edition full packaged products are available through Microsoft Authorized Education Resellers (AERs). Many college campus bookstores are AERs and offer these products in their retail stores or at their online retail sites.

The Microsoft discount program volume licensed versions have license restrictions:

*Certain restrictions on software use may apply. For instance, software provided through Microsoft volume licensing Work at Home rights may be used for work-related purposes only.

The software licenses through my school state that you can continue to use the software after you graduate but not if you drop out, and May can't get here soon enough so that I can get my ~$20 copies of Vista and Office '07. My XP Pro SP2 upgrade and Office 2003 Professional cost me a grand total of $20.

Also, legally, you are supposed to stop using it once you are no longer a student.:D

ACTUALLY that's not accurate.

What the EULA says (most recent example I have is Office 2003) is that as long as SOMEONE in our household is a student, we can have it.

So if you have kids in school, you're golden.

:)

When I bought my copies of office 2003 and XP, the EULA was basically the same as a retail product - I could transfer the license to different machines as long as I was still a student.

However, as soon as I walked across the stage, the software was tied to the machine it was on at that instant.

At least that's what I remember....it's been awhile. Keep in mind, there may be different agreements between schools and MS.

This got me thinking...are the EULA between the "school/university" purchases vs the "student copies" out of B&M stores different?

Hang on a bit. Is this a retail Academic edition upgrade? I don't think that MSDNAA 'student' deals offer upgrade versions, so I suspect it must be.

A retail Academic Upgrade product does NOT have to be discontinued when the purchaser ceases to be a student. It carries the exact same license as any other retail Vista product, with the exception that a "Not for commercial use" stipulation is added. In every other respect the conditions of use are identical to a Retail Upgrade Vista product.

Edit:

Before anybody goes jumping up an down with their objections to what I've just said - yes, in some countries there is a restriction in place which says you have to be a student to be eligible. But that is purchase eligibility, not usage eligibility ;)

Everyone here using their vista from student/work/etc discount is violating the rule by coming on hardforum which is not student/work related with their discounted vista and therefore you must now go and buy the OEM or full version for full price, crack the cd in half, and burn the cdkey and case. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Back