Studdering over wired network

Viper87227

Fully [H]
I finally got my server and HTPC setups going strong (see sig for specs on both). Problem is... I'm getting stuttering on the HTPC. With 720p, its watchable, but there will be frequent pauses. 1080p is unwatchable. Both computers have gigabit nics. My router is also gigabit... though its a crappy quest issued actiontec router.

Where should I start looking here? I hate the router and plan to replace it as soon as I can... but I'm hesitant to think that could be the problem. It's all hardwired connections, so its still just a simple switch. Anything else I should be looking at?

Sounds more like a local playback issue than a network problem.

What are you using for playback software wise? Just using the onboard video?

Sounds more like a local playback issue than a network problem.

What are you using for playback software wise? Just using the onboard video?

My specs apparently weren't up to date in my sig... fixed now. The computer in question has a 9600GT.

What software are you using for playback? Does it support hardware acceleration? Latest drivers and such?

This happens for media that you are accessing from a remote source? Server, Internet, both?

Playing a 1080p MKV locally right now. Over network I can make it about 10 seconds before it stutters to much to watch. It's playing fine locally in WMP.

On another note, I copied the file directly from the server to the HTPC and got a solid 10MB/s transfer rate... which means they arent talking in gigabit for some reason. However, shouldn't even 10MB/s be plenty anyway? I thought that 1080p blu ray maxed out at about 40mbps, so 100mbps should be more than enough?

Problem appears to be fixed. Both ports on this motherboard are supposed to be gigabit... but for some reason the one I was using refuses to go beyond 100mbps. Switched ports, have a 1000mbps connection... movies seems to be playing fine so far.

i would keep your quest router and add a good quality switch. Have all local machines hooked up to the switch and then have one of the router ports hooked into the switch.

That will make the crappy router a non issue for local playback

I get this issue at work all the time, not sure what is up with it, but we have nice Gigabit switches, and Intel Pro Gigabit nics, and certain machines only can transfer data at 100megabit speeds. Intel's test suite says everything is in good shape and connection is fine, but transfers go slow, it shows up as 1 gigabit connection speed in task manager.

Think it's a driver issue as when i update them it works for a few weeks at gigabit speeds but then drops down to 100 megabit speeds. Or it's something with Windows 7.

Back