Stuck Trying To Mount CIFS In /etc/fstab

svet-am

Supreme [H]ardness
I have a bunch of public shares (no username, no password) hosted on a Windows 7 Ultimate box on my network

From CentOS 5.8, I can mount them manually just fine using this:

Code:
mount -t cifs //atlanta/binaries /resources/atlanta_binaries/ -o user=guest,password=""
If I try to make the same thing happen in /etc/fstab, I change the syntax to this

Code:
//atlanta/binaries /resources/atlanta_binaries guest,_netdev,rw 0 0
In this mode, all I see is:

Code:
mount error 13 = Permission denied
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g.man mount.cifs)
Like I mentioned, this works when I mount manually, so I know I can ping the host by name and I can access the shares. I just need to figure out how to do it with fstab since I have about five others shares I _also_ need to access this way.

I've spent quite a bit of time today twing to get this sorted out and now I'm just frustrated. Am I missing something obvious? I've hit just about every hit in the google searches and while they have good information, none have helped me.

//atlanta/binaries /resources/atlanta_binaries cifs guest,_netdev,rw 0 0

?

I mount my cifs identical to the above on CENTOS.

Do you get the same error if you mount via fstab once booted?

//atlanta/binaries /resources/atlanta_binaries cifs guest,_netdev,rw 0 0

?

I mount my cifs identical to the above on CENTOS.

Do you get the same error if you mount via fstab once booted?

thanks for the tip -- that was a goof on my part when I was typing up the lines for the forum post. I already have the cifs section on my mount line in the fstab.

It's not blocking boot, but the mounts don't get mounted and then I see the permission denied error message I noted above in dmesg.

I mean if you just try to mount the mount point which would use the fstab config do you still get the error after boot?

mount /resources/atlanta_binaries

that would at least narrow out something off in the fstab.

I mean if you just try to mount the mount point which would use the fstab config do you still get the error after boot?

mount /resources/atlanta_binaries

that would at least narrow out something off in the fstab.

as I noted in my OP, that works perfectly (in fact, I'm using it _right now_ to copy some files) which is why I'm confused that it's not working in fstab.

thanks, I hadn't seen that. I've tried both _with_ and _without_ the credentials file. I'll give autofs a try.

Back