Stuck: fix or remove mobo blocks?

Colonel_Panic

Limp Gawd
I have a problem. Since building my computer in 2011, my loop has morphed to include 2 Reserators, 2 GTX470, 1 120x3 radiator, 1 filter, 2 mosfet blocks, 1 NB/SB block and a CPU block. My loop has been plagued by low flow and for the last month has been stopped while I try to sort things out. With everything installed I've tried to replace tubing where possible and nurse it back to flowing, but the question now is this:

is it worth the extra work to remove the mobo blocks and return to stock air cooling for simplicity or is there something else I can do to my loop to simplify and boost flow rates?

A big part of the problem, I believe, is the hacked together connection between the mosfet blocks. I can't seem to find a better solution to connecting them together (I'm using Koolance 1 space vid connector and 2 space vid connector to bridge the gap).

I have a problem. Since building my computer in 2011, my loop has morphed to include 2 Reserators, 2 GTX470, 1 120x3 radiator, 1 filter, 2 mosfet blocks, 1 NB/SB block and a CPU block. My loop has been plagued by low flow and for the last month has been stopped while I try to sort things out. With everything installed I've tried to replace tubing where possible and nurse it back to flowing, but the question now is this:

is it worth the extra work to remove the mobo blocks and return to stock air cooling for simplicity or is there something else I can do to my loop to simplify and boost flow rates?

A big part of the problem, I believe, is the hacked together connection between the mosfet blocks. I can't seem to find a better solution to connecting them together (I'm using Koolance 1 space vid connector and 2 space vid connector to bridge the gap).

That is quite a random collection of WC gear my friend:eek:!..I have two questions..First, what pump are you using? I didn't see that listed. Second, what exactly do you mean by filter? Are you using some sort of standard household water supply filter? The small 12V pumps commonly used for WC'ing aren't made to function with a household supply style filter..They don't have the head pressure/flow rate required when you add in the restriction from the various component blocks (of which you have a ton)..

I would personally sell off the Zalman external units and pick up another 120/240mm internal radiator (whatever you can fit)..This would cut down on a TON of extra tubing and restriction, and generally make things cleaner...As for connecting the VRM/Mosfet blocks, you can either use standard barbs and tubing to make an upside down "U" shape connection from block to block (this is the cheapest way)..I use 90 degree fittings with a short piece of tubing myself..You could buy a bunch of fittings and make a bridge, but it is quite costly and doesn't really perform any better then my method..

If you are depending on the "filter" alone to inhibit algae growth, then I am quite certain you loop must be full of all sorts of furry crap..Most filters are designed for removing sediment/metals etc. This will not help with algae growth unless you are using a biocide like an additive (PTNuke etc) or the preferred Silver Kill Coil..

If you haven't done so, I would break down every block and clean/inspect it for bio buildup/dye issues(if you use it)/corrosion issues/flaking etc..

Yes, my loop is a little like frankenstein's monster :D I'm a mechanical engineer and like tinkering with different setups (although the downtime is often annoying). I discovered the source of my problem, as the tiny screen in my pump quick connect fitting was plugged up, so a replacement has the loop spinning freely. I think I need to add some algicide to my Feser One liquid.

The Reserators work pretty well together, as I've assembled them on a wooden sled. The pump is a 350 GPH aquarium pump, and with a clean loop, I can see 60-70 L/hour. There are a lot of restrictions in my setup, but even with 2x GTX470 and an i7, everything runs pretty cool. I decided to leave the mobo blocks in place, but I think I'll skip them for my next upgrade.

Firstly. How do you know there is low flow? Those Reserators weren't that good even when new...the built-in pumps weren't that great, the rads themselves are aluminum necessitating antifreeze,

You have been using coolant mixes with antifreeze in them-right?

I'd can the reserators and get Laing D5s with non-passive radiators...presuming your blocks haven't been corroded.

I inspect the blocks regularly and they appear to be fine. The Reserator pumps were stripped out immediately after purchase, as I use them mostly as a passive radiator. I have a visual flowmeter on the system outlet in the case and a digital flowmeter on the inlet, and usually I can judge the relative flow by the visual meter. It appears that the blocks on the motherboard were not as restrictive as I was expecting, based on clearing a pump tube and having the flow return to normal.

Back