Stuck at "Setup is starting Windows"

andocser

Weaksauce
I've just built a new computer with the following specs:

MSI K7N2 Delta2 (nForce2 Ultra 400 based) Mobo
Athlon XP 3000+
1.5GB Corsair PC3200
WD Special Edition 80GB ATA/100

The problem I'm having is when I try to install Windows the system usually freezes at the screen that reads simply "Setup is starting Windows" at the bottom. When it does not freeze at this point, it freezes at the screen immediately after, where I can press Enter to install Windows, R for a repair console, etc. At first I figured it might be a memory issue so I ran Memtest86 and it came back clear of any issues but just to be sure I removed all but 1 stick of the new memory, still no go.

My next step was to search online. I found a Microsoft knowledge base article that discussed this issue being related to ACPI or not having the proper storage controller drivers loaded. I attempted to turn off ACPI in the system's BIOS but the problem persisted. I have both RAID and SATA turned off in BIOS so I can't imagine that an improper driver could be causing this issue as I am not loading any special driver, just using the plain old IDE controller.

At this point I'm at the end of my troubleshooting rope. Has anyone out there seen this problem before and know what can be done about it? Thanks in advance for any help.

Update: I was successfully able to install WindowsXP by pressing F5 as the boot CD was first loading and choosing an non-default hardware abstraction layer. For some reason the only choice I was offered was "C-Step Compliant i486" but it worked. Hopefully this helps someone out there.

Back