Struggling to decide on memory for 3700x build

revv

Weaksauce
I have an incoming 3700x and an Aorus Ultra x570 board that will be here later this week.

I'm struggling to find adequate memory for it as I keep reading so many different stories...

I currently have the Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000 C15 (2x8 GB) kit and according to what I've read I want at least 3600 C16 memory or 3733 C16-17 memory. Is this correct?

I want to find the sweet spot in terms of cost and performance. I don't want to squeeze every single bit of performance out of my new system and I also don't want to pay $300 for memory.

What is the most cost-effective solution that will significantly reduce the bottleneck?

For reference, I'm looking at the GSkill Trident Z Royal 3600 C16. Horrible design, but it is in stock...

not sure how it helps i too am getting teh 3700x diff brd whatever but i have heard and i do have 3600 16 gig cl16 ive read online thats what you need for whatever thats worth to you and good luck

Right now I suspect that the best value is in 3600 CL 18 or 19. $50 less than CL 16 (for 2x8 sticks) and $20 less than 3200CL14. I don't think you'll miss the extra nanosecond over the 3600CL16 stuff.

I currently have the Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000 C15 (2x8 GB) kit and according to what I've read I want at least 3600 C16 memory or 3733 C16-17 memory. Is this correct?

I want to find the sweet spot in terms of cost and performance. I don't want to squeeze every single bit of performance out of my new system and I also don't want to pay $300 for memory.
Then stick with what you have as you can't beat that for cost\performance ratio.

Try OC what you have if you like although it wont get far it will get far enough that vs 3600c18 the difference would be so small that not only would it be unnoticeable but hard to even benchmark accurately.

GSkill Neo is starting pop up around the web. Most of it is definitely not your bargain stuff, but if you're looking for "set XMP and Im at the sweet spot and done" they have some nice kits.

GSkill Neo is starting pop up around the web. Most of it is definitely not your bargain stuff, but if you're looking for "set XMP and Im at the sweet spot and done" they have some nice kits.

Thanks. Yes, I was actually on Newegg when they first appeared after a page refresh. I took too long to pull the trigger and they were gone. Targeting the 2x16 3600 C16 @ $200.

So I got the 2x16 3600 c16 G Skill Trident Z Neo sticks from Newegg. Happy to report they work perfectly out of the box with an Aorus x570 Ultra and 3700x.

So I got the 2x16 3600 c16 G Skill Trident Z Neo sticks from Newegg. Happy to report they work perfectly out of the box with an Aorus x570 Ultra and 3700x.

Have you tried OC at all? I'm curious if the 16-19-19 kits can get to 16-16-16 or not even if it needs a little voltage. Would save me a good $80.

Have you tried OC at all? I'm curious if the 16-19-19 kits can get to 16-16-16 or not even if it needs a little voltage. Would save me a good $80.

Not yet. Getting my 2070S next week and will start playing around with it.

RAM looks like it's going up again from what I've checked. BUY BUY BUY????!!!!!1

It does, which is why I wanted to get this done now.

I'd not worry about it much:
relative-performance-cpu.png

Source

I assume those are 1080p numbers? Because I can't find the used resolution on the page. Or might it even be 720p?
Maybe but the only difference resolution makes is how GPU limited the game is and the performance increase that RAM is bring to the CPU is still there just less obvious till you add enough GPU power to compensate for the higher resolution.

Maybe but the only difference resolution makes is how GPU limited the game is and the performance increase that RAM is bring to the CPU is still there just less obvious till you add enough GPU power to compensate for the higher resolution.
You're making the assumption that the game will still be CPU limited at the exact same places at higher resolution. You can't do that.

You're making the assumption that the game will still be CPU limited at the exact same places at higher resolution. You can't do that.
Sure increasing res may increase load on different parts of the GPU more than others making the GPU limited parts of the game shift.
But it is ether CPU limited or GPU limited and enough GPU power will compensate eventually.

If the game is CPU limited to 60FPS at 720p then it will be CPU limited to 60FPS in the same place at 4k unless the GPU lacks the power to deliver 60FPS.

The point that review I linked makes is that a faster CPU with slower RAM can be slower than a slower CPU with faster RAM and resolution will not change this.
If you crank the res up to 4k with 8xaa the only thing you may achieve other than unplayable framerates is the slower CPU and slower RAM all looking to perform exactly the same as the faster CPU and RAM when we know that there is a performance difference there it is just hidden till it is needed.

Edit:
Sorry if I did a bad job of trying to explain that maybe this is a better way to show it with the tomb raider benchmark that show what the CPU is capable of rendering and what the GPU is capable of rendering.
At each res you will notice what the CPU is capable of doesn't really change other than a little margin of error.

720p.jpg 1080p.jpg 2560x1440.jpg

Last edited:
For reference, I'm looking at the GSkill Trident Z Royal 3600 C16. Horrible design, but it is in stock...

I'm in Canada and the problem is either the prices are high or there is no stock. The G.Skill Trident Z 3600MHz say they are shipping August 30th, so that's not really helpful. For 3600MHz I basically had a choice between the Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO for $192 or the Corsair Vengenace LPX kit for $128...I grabbed the cheaper LPX and figure I'll hope for the best. Can always grab a different kit later if they don't pan out I guess.

Thnx, I've been waiting for those to come back in stock at NewEgg. I thought I saw 3600 c14 somewhere too.

I had purchased a 16GB x2 3200MHz CL16 Vengeance LPX Corsair kit, finding out it uses Hynix chips and that the Ryzen isn't a huge fan of the Hynix, also finding that Ryzen really likes faster memory. Looking at the G Skill Ripjaws V 3200MHz CL14 which I have been told generally will do 3600MHz CL16 or the new Trident Z Neo 3600MHZ CL16.

At the very least do you think I should return my Corsair? Which G Skill would you get?

G.Skill Neo or Royal are some wicked nice design, Trident Z RGB "mehh" in comparison.

Patriot also makes a really nice set (model name, Vyper I believe?

I was going G Skill again this go around, though when ordered nothing caught my eye in terms of price, many choices no doubts about that, shame all memory sellers but a bit less effort on RGB crap everything they can tough and more to getting prices stabilized (for everyone)

_________

I went with XPG Gammix D10 3200 C16 1.35v 2x8 (2 kits 32g total) is almost as "aggressive" as the FlareX look but at lower price and using B-die (according to one person, I cannot find listed anywhere what it does/not use)

not the fastest memory though under $100 for the first kit ($20 coupon clip Amazon.ca purchase) second kit 119.99 order July 15...today same memory is $105.99 per kit.

they are "meaty" much heavier than other ram sets I have used (chuck at someone you hurt them)

still no motherboard in my hands to use the cpu-ram-m.2 with so I do not know if will work proper (clock up/down nicely) or anything (running out of time to register products) :mad:

Pretty much anything b die will do 3600 c16. The voltage needed to run that speed and timing will vary by module. 1.35 is usually stock voltage for most but you may need to bump it up to 1.4-1.45 to maintain stability.
Keep in mind ocing 16gb b die modules isnt nearly as easy as it is ocing 8gb. So you may need more than 1.45 to hit 3600 c16 with 16gb modules. If your comfortable ocing memory go for the 3200 c14 if not get the neo.

Pretty much anything b die will do 3600 c16. The voltage needed to run that speed and timing will vary by module. 1.35 is usually stock voltage for most but you may need to bump it up to 1.4-1.45 to maintain stability.
Keep in mind ocing 16gb b die modules isnt nearly as easy as it is ocing 8gb. So you may need more than 1.45 to hit 3600 c16 with 16gb modules. If your comfortable ocing memory go for the 3200 c14 if not get the neo.
I'll mull it over, just sucks that the Corsair I had bought for a good price on Prime day turns out to not be that great for Ryzen.

It may be decent stuff. I would see how well it clocks before sending it back. Not to mention the noticable difference between 3200 and 3600 is almost nill.

It may be decent stuff. I would see how well it clocks before sending it back. Not to mention the noticable difference between 3200 and 3600 is almost nill.
Only have like 2 more weeks to return it, bought it on Prime Day for a decent price, now I am waiting for the 3900X to be in stock somewhere to buy and I need to get a motherboard and graphics card.

Back