Struggling to decide - 2070S vs 5700XT?

Troll?
Dude I only posted the "facts".. but you must be a sad AMD fan boy.

"Facts"

Totally ignore the Aftermarket cards, issues that are fixed, improved drivers, lower cost, near equal to 2070s, those are the facts.

Troll?

Like your posted "fact" that 2070S is "million times better" than a 5700XT when the difference is factually measured in percentage points and not even one full time better (e.g. double the performance).

Troll?

Here are the "facts" dude....

111547[1].png

111549[1].png

111551[1].png

Again, THOSE ARE FACTS^
(Mind you, those are a review of the RTX2080 Super.)

Turing is essentially a year old and it's driver's are all but optimized. RDNA is brand spanking new architecture and will get optimized more as the architecture matures. Specially when the consoles are also using RDNA.

Another $50 price cut from the 5700 Series with the new 5800 Series hitting at $599 would absolutely crush Nvidia out of the gaming market.

And that is coming. That is the threadripper moment Dr Su is talking about.

Last edited:
Anyways. Back on topic. :)

The price difference is what did it for me. Got an opened box Asus 5700xt for $380. All the 2070s I can find in stock are 550+ and price gougers at 600+

Anyways. Back on topic. :)

The price difference is what did it for me. Got an opened box Asus 5700xt for $380. All the 2070s I can find in stock are 550+ and price gougers at 600+

the reference card performs alright just turn up the fan curve a little bit. the stock curve is way too conservative!. That's a great deal for a 5700xt

View attachment 182665

View attachment 182666

View attachment 182667

Again, THOSE ARE FACTS^

Turing is essentially a year old and it's driver's are all but optimized. RDNA is brand spanking new architecture and will get optimized more as the architecture matures. Specially when the consoles are also using RDNA.

Another $50 price cut from the 5700 Series with the new 5800 Series hitting at $599 would absolutely crush Nvidia out of the gaming market.

Man, Charlie Dmerjian from Semi-Accureta had been pronosticating Nvidias demise for years if not decades. Since Pascal (or was it maxwell?) came out, he just stopped talking about nvidia.
(Actually I just took a look at semi-accurate and saw a post about nvidia. Boy, it's been a while, not about it crashing into flames though...)

But if you think you can do a better job, by all means...

View attachment 182665

View attachment 182666

View attachment 182667

Again, THOSE ARE FACTS^

Never a wise idea to cherry pick benches. From same review:

111561.png

111565.png

111559.png

Again, never a wise idea to look at very few titles to reach wide-reaching conclusions. Thats why I've always recommended reviews with the largest number of games tested. ie, TPU with 21 games across all resolutions:

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2080-super-founders-edition/27.html

The person could always look for benchmarks based on the games they play and resolution. Another thing they could state is if they were going to play CEMU games then we could tell them go 2070S but yeah

Just get a refurbed 2080.

As I am always reminded by the Nvidia faithful, that's a slippery slope when you start introducing used products. I mean the 1080Ti is practically as fast as a 2080 and can be had around $400 if you shop around.

View attachment 182849

View attachment 182850

View attachment 182851

Again, never a wise idea to look at very few titles to reach wide-reaching conclusions. Thats why I've always recommended reviews with the largest number of games tested. ie, TPU with 21 games across all resolutions:

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2080-super-founders-edition/27.html

Except when TPU excludes edge cases where AMD was significantly better (Forza) but keeps all it can find for NV (Ace Combat and Hitman 2). No single site is good enough on it's own.

I didn't cherry pick anything, other than to show that superboi doesn't have his fact correct. That they trade blows depending on games, not that the 5700xt is playing catch up to the 2070S. (Specially when it is $100 cheaper).

Not to mention, dollar for dollar the 5700XT will own a RTX in a majority of games.

You also need to look at those graphs closely... and see what those graphs tell. What price was the Vega64 and the Radeon 7 released at..? Now look at 5700xt once again... see it punching above it's weight..?

If you read all the reviews you will see that for the money, the RTX doesn't offer much of a gain in performance, or any... in most games.

Revisiting this thread. I'm stuck. I want to buy, but can't. 5700XT AIB's aren't ever in stock. 2070S cost too much (knowing the 5700XT is sitting there).

I didn't cherry pick anything, other than to show that superboi doesn't have his fact correct. That they trade blows depending on games, not that the 5700xt is playing catch up to the 2070S. (Specially when it is $100 cheaper).

Not to mention, dollar for dollar the 5700XT will own a RTX in a majority of games.

You also need to look at those graphs closely... and see what those graphs tell. What price was the Vega64 and the Radeon 7 released at..? Now look at 5700xt once again... see it punching above it's weight..?

If you read all the reviews you will see that for the money, the RTX doesn't offer much of a gain in performance, or any... in most games.

But, but AMD is a premium brand isn't it, ergo the 5700XT is a premium card, right? if that's so, how is its now performance per dollar?

But, but AMD is a premium brand isn't it, ergo the 5700XT is a premium card, right? if that's so, how is its now performance per dollar?

I would have thought that GPU's of a slightly higher price tag (£8-900+) would be considered premium no? The 5700's are priced closer to Nvidia's 'budget' RTX offerings no?

Not that i'm biased at all or anything, but there will always be a strong fan-boyism in topics like these, i do think AMD need a few months to get their drivers more matured, and i'm slyly dreading having to experience that, but such is life.

My 5700xt is still in its box, need to get my monitor going over displayport first, then hack the back of my case out, add the vertical GPU bracket, mount the block, flush the loop, install and pray!! :D

The driver issues and complete lack of any AIB models are what’s stopping me from getting the 5700 xt. By the time they are AMD should have sorted the headaches.

Was totally excited for RX 5700 XT, until I got my ASRock Challenger. Another [H]'er and I have been having issues. His was DOA, mine is either defective or won't install correctly, or both. Played PUBG last night at 1080p and only returned.....60FPS on mixed setting. Made sure that I didn't have a lame FPS cap enabled and that wasn't it.

Newegg's replacement only return policy isn't helping anything. Maybe I can convince them to replace it with a Sapphire Pulse card. Haven't seen anything bad about those. I guess this is why ASRock didn't send anyone any review samples.

https://www.anandtech.com/Gallery/Album/7172#6

20190527_104216-2060x975[1].jpg

RDNA is the future & Turing is a flop. That is how 2019 will be known...

Look at the die size of the newly released RTX2070 SUPER, then look at the newly released RX5700XT... Nvidia can not compete with AMD on performance, or price. Dr Su played her card real well and the full house with 5800 Series is coming. We all know this, yet some people are still clinging to their hopes of buying a 2080ti some day.

The rest of us understand what is going on, because we saw it in the CPU space. 2nd Gen Navi and AMD's 3rd 7nm GPU is about to come out.... taking the Radeon 7's spot.

View attachment 183178

Look at the die size of the newly released RTX2070 SUPER, then look at the newly released RX5700XT... Nvidia can not compete with AMD on performance, or price. Dr Su played her card real well and the full house with 5800 Series is coming. We all know this, yet some people are still clinging to their hopes of buying a 2080ti some day.

The rest of us understand what is going on, because we saw it in the CPU space. 2nd Gen Navi and AMD's 3rd 7nm GPU is about to come out.... taking the Radeon 7's spot.

Are you trying to hijack this thread? The truth is that AMD right now cannot compete at the high end, it really doesn't matter what 'might' be coming in the future, people aren't buying vapourware from stores, they are buying real products that actually exist.

I'm on a budget, so i bought AMD, if i didn't have a budget, i wouldn't be buying AMD......

I would have thought that GPU's of a slightly higher price tag (£8-900+) would be considered premium no? The 5700's are priced closer to Nvidia's 'budget' RTX offerings no?

Not that i'm biased at all or anything, but there will always be a strong fan-boyism in topics like these, i do think AMD need a few months to get their drivers more matured, and i'm slyly dreading having to experience that, but such is life.

My 5700xt is still in its box, need to get my monitor going over displayport first, then hack the back of my case out, add the vertical GPU bracket, mount the block, flush the loop, install and pray!! :D

You missed the part where GamerX claimed AMD was a premium brand thanks to Navi. It's on another thread. I think its closed already. :D:D

Are you trying to hijack this thread? The truth is that AMD right now cannot compete at the high end, it really doesn't matter what 'might' be coming in the future, people aren't buying vapourware from stores, they are buying real products that actually exist.

I'm on a budget, so i bought AMD, if i didn't have a budget, i wouldn't be buying AMD......

The 5700xt is only getting faster over time with each driver update. It is $100 cheaper than the equally performing RTX2070 Super. RDNA made it's debut unsettling Nvidia's $600 cards.... because RDNA is a premium gaming platform. Neither cards represent the "high-end"... neither take the crown from the 3 year old 1080ti.

Today... not to many people have 4k 120Hz capable displays, so most people are not BUYING high-end right now. These cards (5700xt/2070S/Etc..) are what many are looking to buy for their new displays, or for future set-ups. Nvidia has the $800-$1500+ GPU's locked down... for those who WANT to afford that.

But that top-end price bracket is not where the competition is at...

The 5700xt is only getting faster over time with each driver update. It is $100 cheaper than the equally performing RTX2070 Super. RDNA made it's debut unsettling Nvidia's $600 cards.... because RDNA is a premium gaming platform. Neither cards represent the "high-end"... neither take the crown from the 3 year old 1080ti.

Today... not to many people have 4k 120Hz capable displays, so most people are not BUYING high-end right now. These cards (5700xt/2070S/Etc..) are what many are looking to buy for their new displays, or for future set-ups. Nvidia has the $800-$1500+ GPU's locked down... for those who WANT to afford that.

But that top-end price bracket is not where the competition is at...

But its where the competition should be, if AMD does aspire to be a Premium brand.

View attachment 183178

And maybe you should be worried that a tiny little die ends up using more power than the much bigger die on the 2070 Super which is also a slightly faster card to boot. https://tpucdn.com/review/powercolor-radeon-rx-5700-xt-red-devil/images/power-gaming-average.png

What magical world do you live in that scaling up Navi to a much bigger gpu and adding ray tracing hardware is not going to result in an insanely power hungry gpu? I am just pointing that out as you seem to have deluded yourself into thinking that AMD can do no wrong.

I don't think i would send more than $499 on a 2070 super right now. Best Buy has the founder edition 2070 super for $499. That cuts the cost to about 60$ if you're comparing to the $440 Red Devil from PowerColor.

And maybe you should be worried that a tiny little die ends up using more power than the much bigger die on the 2070 Super which is also a slightly faster card to boot. https://tpucdn.com/review/powercolor-radeon-rx-5700-xt-red-devil/images/power-gaming-average.png

What magical world do you live in that scaling up Navi to a much bigger gpu and adding ray tracing hardware is not going to result in an insanely power hungry gpu? I am just pointing that out as you seem to have deluded yourself into thinking that AMD can do no wrong.

Do you buy a GPU based on how much power is uses, or how many frames it gives you...? I don't have a limit on how much my rig uses from the wall... thermals only matter when you have nothing else to talk about.

Seems you are asking questions you already know the answer to. I am not scaling up Navi, AMD is scaling up navi and if you don't understand the concept then it shows why you asked. How much energy did the Radeon 7 use at 7nm...? Why would little navi, scales up to Radeon 7's size... be something you can't figure out..? LOL...

Also, you have people mocking me, for telling them the truth. These same people will call me a troll or whatever and blindly believe there is no 5800 Series coming. It is because they are bias. I am not... I just know who the winner is and can see it clearly.

Nvidia has NOTHING to compete with RDNA. (The RTX2060 SUPER...?)

Last edited:
Control with RTX + DLSS is pretty impressive though. I know it's only one game but it looks and runs really well.

Do you buy a GPU based on how much power is uses, or how many frames it gives you...? I don't have a limit on how much my rig uses from the wall... thermals only matter when you have nothing else to talk about.

Seems you are asking questions you already know the answer to. I am not scaling up Navi, AMD is scaling up navi and if you don't understand the concept then it shows why you asked. How much energy did the Radeon 7 use at 7nm...? Why would little navi, scales up to Radeon 7's size... be something you can't figure out..? LOL...

Also, you have people mocking me, for telling them the truth. These same people will call me a troll or whatever and blindly believe there is no 5800 Series coming. It is because they are bias. I am not... I just know who the winner is and can see it clearly.

Nvidia has NOTHING to compete with RDNA. (The RTX2060 SUPER...?)

By your own words you are proclaiming an undocumented vapourware product the king and winner of the performance wars, but you asked for criteria of what you base a purchase on? imagination? Once the products actually exists, it can be tested, and everyone will see where it compares to Nvidia's two year old tech. Hopefully they'll be able to compete, it's been a while.

The market needs competition, which will hopefully drive prices down, I also doubt Nvidia is sitting idly by without working on something of their own. again i'm hoping it's more of a compatitive market a year or so from now.

That is the question, how well does Navi scale? From 40 CU's to 60 CU's? There is about 11% more shaders on the 5700 XT over the 5700 and the benchmarks I've looked at reflects almost perfect scaling of 11% or more, being that the 5700 XT is clocked somewhat higher when gaming. Still that looks really good. If that carries over to a 60 CU 5800, 50% more shaders and everything else (384bit bus, 12gb of ram . . .) considering the 2080 Ti is about 30%-40% faster at 1440p over the 5700 XT -> I would not be too surprised that the 5800 matches and if not beats the 2080 Ti in performance at 1440p and 4K. Price that at $699 and who in their right mind would then buy a 8gb 2080 Super or a 2080 Ti?

Nvidia killer or Turing killer - not sure what AMD internal nickname is but looks to have some merit. The question is when? AMD could have a stock setting in the drivers for 275w (matches 2080 Ti) and then a killer setting that blows it away at well of course >300w but who really cares.

Back