Struggles getting 8 sticks of ram to work together.

Kewk

n00b
Processor: 3960x
Motherboard: Asus Prime TRX40-PRO - Running the latest bios 1011 I think it is.
Memory: (QVL Listed) Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 (PC4-25600) C16 AMD Optimized Memory or cmw32gx4m2z3200c16

When I boot in various configurations I'll get a C5 error. I spent hours last night swapping memory around over and over unable to get them to all to work at the same time. I tapped out for the night with 7 of the 8 working but need to get back at it tonight.

Is there a better way of doing this?

Do all the sticks work individually and pass memory test? I've not personally used threadripper but I recall people having issues before with losing memory channels with it and 3647 so it may be worthwhile to reseat? If someone with experience says it makes no difference listen to them though.

Do all the sticks work individually and pass memory test? I've not personally used threadripper but I recall people having issues before with losing memory channels with it and 3647 so it may be worthwhile to reseat? If someone with experience says it makes no difference listen to them though.

Off the top of my head, yeah. I did so many different configurations last night swapping in and out it's hard to remember everything I did. When I get home in a couple hours I'm going to take everything out and then label them and then try more variations using the 1 that is not working right now as the base and then swapping in and out with the others.

Well... I'm pretty sure I've narrowed it down. Seems like that dimm slot is just not working. I can slot them ram in any configuration pretty much as long as I don't put anything on that slot :\

Reactions: Kewk
like this
Wow literally with no troubleshooting at all Corsair shut me down and said it's because I'm mixing ram.

Wow literally with no troubleshooting at all Corsair shut me down and said it's because I'm mixing ram.

If you are mixing RAM, you really shouldn't expect that to work well on any AMD processor based system. Ryzen's and Threadrippers are picky enough as it is. Mixing RAM is asking for trouble.

If you are mixing RAM, you really shouldn't expect that to work well on any AMD processor based system. Ryzen's and Threadrippers are picky enough as it is. Mixing RAM is asking for trouble.

But that's the thing... I'm not. He assumed it and replied with it as fact and then shut me down.

Corsair...? Yea, return the ram.

I'm running 128gb of G.Skill Tridents 3600mhz cas 16, at 3400mhz and FCLK at 1700mhz. That's pretty damn amazing for 8 x 16gb DIMMS.

Build: 3970x, dual 2080ti, 8TB m.2 RAID = Render Monster | Page 4 | [H]ard|Forum

Ya know that's a good idea. Especially given that the first support response I got from Corsair was someone assuming what the problem was and then treating it as fact. I requested a return via Amazon (guaranteed) and I picked up the G.Skill for free delivery tomorrow.

Reactions: travm
like this
What sticks did you purchase? I got the overpriced b-die kit but you can use the Trident Neo's too which are a bit less.

What sticks did you purchase? I got the overpriced b-die kit but you can use the Trident Neo's too which are a bit less.

They only had the Neo's on Amazon for next day so I got that. I think everything else was weeks out.

the other thing to check is your cpu cooler mounting pressure. it's known problem with intel and AMD's HEDT processors that it's super easy to mess up and lose memory channels due to the processors not being seated properly and/or the coolers being too tight.

Sonofa... same exact issue with the new ram. I guess I can try to reseat the cpu. Not like I can send my board out yet anyways.

I would bet on motherboard - you missing only one slot - if you over/under tight (very easy without using included torque wrench) cpu you'll loose one channel - 2 slots.

Unqualified suggestion - Bump up RAM voltage, SOC voltage.

If you can't boot, bump up the RAM voltage and SOC voltage with some sticks in before plugging in the other sticks

Well I ripped it all apart reseated the cpu and exact same issue in the exact same slot. Going to do an rma now I guess bleh this really sucks to be down this long and now even longer.

Back