Strix GTX 1080 vs gigabyte GTX 1080 xtreme (performance differential/stutter in 2 rigs), help

smodtactical

Limp Gawd
My friend just got his GTX 1080 and is noticing a difference of about 10-20 fps in games like GTA 5 and Doom. He also mentioned there is some microstuttering in his system compared to mine. Mine is smooth as ice and fps is definitely on average above his.

My friend's rig:
Asus Strix GTX 1080 @ 2000 Mhz
i5 3570k 4.2 ghz
8 Gb DDR3 1333 Mhz
ASUS P8Z77-V Pro MB
7200 RPM HDD WD BLACK
Win 10 x64

My rig:
Gigabyte xtreme gaming gtx 1080 @ 2000 Mhz
i7 4770k @ 4.2 ghz
16 Gb DDR3 2133 Mhz
Asus Hero VI MB
7200 RPM HDD WD BLACK
Win 10 x64

Do you think the difference might be in the quantity and speed of the ram? Any other suggestions?

Thanks so much!

Depending on what you're playing it could be ram limitations, I know with BO3 for example, it ran like crap with 8GB vs 16GB.

I haven't fired up GTA 5 in a long time, and don't have Doom.

The studdering is most likely from RAM and the difference in fps is the CPU.

When I changed CPU to a 4790k my fps was higher and consistent with less drastic dips.

1080 in a system with an older i5 and only 8gb of slow ram is not very smart. Despite what some people say, an i5 will get pegged especially with a fast gpu as it will be cpu limited much more often. And 8gb just does not cut it in some games especially if leaving other things running. Tell him to find a 3770k and get 16gb of 2133 mhz ram if he does not want to go with a new setup. Personally I think it makes more sense to sell the old cpu, ram and mobo and go 6700k and 16gb of at least 3000 mhz ram. I would also suggest an SSD as even though it does not technically improve fps, it can make for a smoother experience in parts of some games.

At least for GTA V it is definitely the RAM if he is playing with settings cranked up to the max especially draw distance and textures.
Don't know about Doom but nightmare will eat ram for breakfast.

Also I am assuming you are playing 1440P or above since that is where system ram will rear its ugly head.

At least for GTA V it is definitely the RAM if he is playing with settings cranked up to the max especially draw distance and textures.
Don't know about Doom but nightmare will eat ram for breakfast.

Also I am assuming you are playing 1440P or above since that is where system ram will rear its ugly head.
What would resolution have to do with system ram?

EDIT: Sorry but what you claimed was nonsense if meaning higher resolutions need more system ram. I just fired up several games and resolution has no impact on system ram usage at all.

Last edited:
Did you run GTA V at 4K with maxed out settings vs. 1080P?
In my experience system ram usage was higher when running higher resolutions (when I tried it with DSR). Maybe there is something to do with DSR overhead? I don't know.

Did you run GTA V at 4K with maxed out settings vs. 1080P?
In my experience system ram usage was higher when running higher resolutions (when I tried it with DSR). Maybe there is something to do with DSR overhead? I don't know.
I was using DSR for 1440p and 4k and again no difference in ram usage even compared to 720p in the games I had checked. I did just fire up GTA V and there was a difference in that game but its minuscule. At 1280x720 my system was using around 7750 mb and at 4k it was using around 7920 mb so a pretty paltry 170 mb difference.

Last edited:
I see. I don't remember off hand but I saw massive stutter reduction going from 8 GB system ram to 16 GB system ram back in the day with GTA V and Shadows of Mordor at 1440P and above. Maybe it was just that I was hitting the 8 GB mark and resolution had nothing to do with it?

Can't test now to tell you any better. Also I had 4 GB 970 GTX at that point so might be the 3.5 GB buffer causing issues (but then why did performance improve with adding more system ram using same cards?)

That was the part that was pointed out back then. For some reason, upgrading system RAM from 8GB to 16GB solved a lot of 970's VRAM segmentation issues. I never experienced the issue because I didn't game with it long enough on 8GB RAM before I overhauled the system and gave it 16GB from the start.

Guys thanks for the feedback. He ordered a 16 GB 2133 Mhz kit. Hes also thinking of OC'ing his cpu more and getting an aftermarket heat sink... as right now hes still on the stock intel heat sink.

That was the part that was pointed out back then. For some reason, upgrading system RAM from 8GB to 16GB solved a lot of 970's VRAM segmentation issues. I never experienced the issue because I didn't game with it long enough on 8GB RAM before I overhauled the system and gave it 16GB from the start.

Great [H] info :) I might look into upgrading ram to 16GB (from 8GB) on my kids HTPC with GTX970

Ok so my friend got 16 gb of 2133 Mhz ram, he got huge gains in doom (15-20 fps) and more smoothness. Seems most games run well now except for GTA 5 which still stutters a lot. Apparently there are hdd usage spikes. He is using the same hdd as me a 7200 rpm wd black. His gpu usage and frequency is stable. He tried stutter fixes like unparking his cpus, he tried alt tabbing out and back in and he also tried this: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/828040/pc-games/-resolved-gta-v-stutter-fix/

But didn't work either.

Any idea what the problem is ?

Ok so my friend got 16 gb of 2133 Mhz ram, he got huge gains in doom (15-20 fps) and more smoothness. Seems most games run well now except for GTA 5 which still stutters a lot. Apparently there are hdd usage spikes. He is using the same hdd as me a 7200 rpm wd black. His gpu usage and frequency is stable. He tried stutter fixes like unparking his cpus, he tried alt tabbing out and back in and he also tried this: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/828040/pc-games/-resolved-gta-v-stutter-fix/

But didn't work either.

get SSD

I had to move GTA V off my HDD too and all is smooth now. That's a very demanding game.

But didn't work either.

Are you both using a swap file? When was the last time he defragged his hard drive? How much free space is on his hard drive?

I know with GTAV in particular, if it's installed on an HDD, that it is very sensitive to file fragmentation. But for overall performance I would definitely recommend moving it to the SSD. The swap file should also be on the SSD.

Definitely need to look into getting GTAV (or any demanding game for that matter) on an SSD. I keep a 500GB platter in my system specifically for old, less demanding games, but anything that's demanding goes on my 500GB or 250GB SSD's.

Especially given the price of SSD's these days, spend 80 bucks or w/e and pick up a 250GB.

1080 in a system with an older i5 and only 8gb of slow ram is not very smart. Despite what some people say, an i5 will get pegged especially with a fast gpu as it will be cpu limited much more often. And 8gb just does not cut it in some games especially if leaving other things running. Tell him to find a 3770k and get 16gb of 2133 mhz ram if he does not want to go with a new setup. Personally I think it makes more sense to sell the old cpu, ram and mobo and go 6700k and 16gb of at least 3000 mhz ram. I would also suggest an SSD as even though it does not technically improve fps, it can make for a smoother experience in parts of some games.

Apart from Frostbite games, I haven't seen noticeable improvement from i7 over i5. I know in Frostbite games, actual cores counts for a lot (see Gulftown CPU scaling that's floating around). If I'm spending extra money, I'd go directly from a quad-core to a hexacore. Neither GTA5 or Doom have shown improvements with additional threads over cores. If that were the case, the i3's would be much closer to the i5's (which they aren't) :p

As for SSDs, considering that most recent 960GB SSD deal, there's no excuse not to have your gaming library completely on SSDs now haha.

Hey guys thanks for the suggestions. Just an udpate.

His page file in windows was much bigger than mine for some reason, mine was about 3 GB his was 10 GB! But of us set the page file (which are on SSDs) to automatic management. He completely disabled his page file and this improved the stuttering significantly but it was not eliminated and still hard for him to play and enjoy the game.

He ordered a SSD just for GTA 5 since his main OS SSD doesnt have enough space (only 50 gb free).

his main HDD that GTA 5 is on has 200 GB free.

I just wonder why I don't get any stuttering and my game is on an HDD ? We have similar specs and exact same settings and resolution for GTA 5.

He just tested witcher 3 and it runs completely smooth.

My friend managed to almost fix the problem and significantly reduce stutter by going into his bios and turning of this cpu voltage limiter setting. He can't recall the exact name.

He still gets occasional microstutter. But not nearly as bad as before. I will keep updating as things progress.

The DDR3 @ 1333 hurts. I know when I lower my 2400 to 1333, can defintely feel the difference. 4.2 GHz IB + GTX 1080 ... and 1333 ram?! Unbalanced config.

My friend managed to almost fix the problem and significantly reduce stutter by going into his bios and turning of this cpu voltage limiter setting. He can't recall the exact name.

He still gets occasional microstutter. But not nearly as bad as before. I will keep updating as things progress.
He is going to get some stutter at times with an i5 as he is cpu limited in spots with a GTX 1080. Digitalfoundry even said that stutter will occur in GTA 5 with an i5 when cpu limited where as with an i7 it did not. GTA V is not really much if any faster with HT on a quad core but it is smoother.

misterbobby -
I read through Eurogamer's accompanying article and watched the DigitalFoundry video as well.

There's spots that even the octo-core (5960X) struggles with - which is ridiculous haha. I think frankly the game is just not well optimized.
I only saw one or two spots where the frame-time sags weren't replicated on both Haswell chips, which still makes me question the efficacy of threads over actual cores.

I'd like to see some movement towards mainstream hexacores - as that's what I would prefer over threads, if I'm going to spend extra money.

Running RAM on 1333mhz might be the issue. All tests I've seen show, that there is quite a difference between 1333 and 1600mhz. Lend your buddy your RAM and see how his GPU behaves after the change.

8GB of RAM is so 1990's. But seriously, from my experience and what I've read, 8GB is no longer enough for very high-end gaming rigs. Same can be said for only 4GB or 6GB of VRAM.....but lets debate VRAM in another thread.

He put in 16 GB of 2133 Mhz ram, it did help a lot with DOOM and witcher 3 but GTA 5 continues to stutter. In fact he lowered GTA 5 to all the lowest settings and it still stuttered so I wonder at this point if its not that DPC issue the other poster mentioned.

I started looking up DPC Latency and his Z77 mobo actually comes up with some frequency - might be cuz it's a popular board though haha.
AT's review of the mobo also mentions BIOS settings:

The agressive BIOS settings of the P8Z77-V Pro and Deluxe have helped both of them get the best ever results in our DPC Latency test.
ASUS P8Z77-V Deluxe Review - Know Your SKU

Has your friend dug through the BIOS to see if there's any settings he can try/change?

He put in 16 GB of 2133 Mhz ram, it did help a lot with DOOM and witcher 3 but GTA 5 continues to stutter. In fact he lowered GTA 5 to all the lowest settings and it still stuttered so I wonder at this point if its not that DPC issue the other poster mentioned.

Did he try setting min CPU state to 100% yet? It's the only way to game, imo.

Who in their right might installs games on HDD anymore? HDDs are only for storage not live applications.

Games need SSD to run properly since 2011 I believe or some such.

Back