Stripped and Stuck AM4 Screws on XMAS

1 brand new Asus X570 motherboard, one with extremely over tightened AM4 Clasp screws. In fact,screws Won't budge,now are pretty stripped. The messed up one is a Asus X570 TuF Gaming Plus WiFi .

One HSF clasp on it,unscrewed easy as pie. Top clasp will not budge,no matter what,both using a Phillips head screwdriver ,They come Recessed in the black plastic AM4 clasp. Does anyone know how to get them out. Pliers obviously won't work as they are recessed.... Now,another question: These and two 2x16gb 3200,TridentZ neo kits, was sold to me ,all full retail price,*NIB* last Friday at Canada Computes in Ottawa. When I got it all home the mobo had zero stickers or seals,on the box or on the anti static bag,both were opened. In fact the anti static bag looked really crumpled and the manual a little creased. Is any of this normal for a NIB Motherboard ? Have not bought a mobo nib since 2004. My sig PCs were built at a local shop. Thanks for your time and Merry Christmas

Possible that that is how they ship. The MB boxes generally don't have seals on them. Not sure about the anti-static bag.

Were all the accessories still sealed?

Does the serial number match the box?

Nothing you can really do to get the screws out short of drilling or using a dremel tool to grind off the screw heads if you stripped them.

My guess is that they were cross-threaded from the factory OR the board was returned by somebody else who screwed it up and then sold as new.

You'll need to drill the screw heads off, no way around it like cyclone3d said. Make sure metal particles don't get on the board.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Use the right size screwdriver and they shouldn't strip. The big Philips bit of a 4 in 1 screwdriver usually for that bracket.

Get the Mrs to hold a vacuum cleaner close but not touching board and put something over the board area to keep shavings out of slots.

Thanks all,taking it back to the store today for help,my gut tells me this was a open box/return,but sold to me as "Brand New",as that's what the sales rep told me it was. I bought it in the store,wasn't shipped to me. Merry Xmas. Any other comments good or bad or advice,feel free to post it. Thanks very much for your time.

Last edited:
Thanks all,taking it back to the store today for help,my gut tells me this was a return. I bought it in the store,wasn't shipped to me. Merry Xmas.
Very possible. Could be they removed the bracket to use a stock ryzen cooler, and put the bracket back on with a drill.

the last couple boards i bought were not sealed at all. pretty sure thats normal now. if they dont swap it try hammering a flathead screw driver in to the head and then try and break it loose.

the last couple boards i bought were not sealed at all. pretty sure thats normal now.

Same. The MSI Unify board I got was like that and it's nearly impossible for it to have been used since that board had literally just been launched. Plus the board was perfect and booted right away out of the box.

Back