Striker Extreme Voltage Advice

Snappyt - This board claims to be compatible with 8pin power and 4pin power. From what I have read, it doesn't really matter if you have either on this board. I myself am using 8pin at the moment and I am having the same problems with 4GBs of RAM that everyone else is having. I have managed to get the board stable with the 4GBs but I can pretty much kiss overclocking goodbye.. It just isn't going to happen for me with those 4GBs in the board.

There are two revisions of this board yes, 1.00 and 1.03. I personally haven't seen or heard anything about the 1.03, other than it exists. There was talk a little while ago that boards made in Taiwan were supposed to overclock better than those made in Japan. My memory is a little fuzzy. I could have my countries wrong and It could be the ones from Japan that overclock better than the ones from Taiwan, but I think that might be what you are referring to.

I love that picture.. You have some serious cooling gear there!

...In the continuing saga, I had ANOTHER kit of RAM die on me today, around about 6 hours before I was due to install the new BIOS to see if that had fixed the 4GB issue. As soon as I get this kit back from RMA, I'll test it out and let you guys know how it goes.

well ive installed everything from scratch after remvinf the 2 faulty dimms and now everything seems ok no crashes no crc errors everything stable thanks for all your help specially leeghoofd and all the others:D :D :D :D :D :D

Damn worthIt ya Gskills died ? or was it the Corsairs ? I woudl RM athe baord , I heard that many of the RMA boards are 1.03 maybe a new revision with a 570 southbridge ?
L00dz had one when he RMA'd his Striker and it overclocks the same but with slightly higher voltages set apparently...

I'll RMA my Striker ( damaged it myself when modding) in a few months to see if anything new pops up .... I might go for the DFI baord wich seems very promising with 8 gigs of Gskill C5 ram at 400FSB tested by Andre Yang....

No it was my Corsairs.. :( I've only ever used the 6400C3DFs on this board. I can't really do anything though if I want to use all 4GB on this board. To get the board stable I can only use a voltage setting of 2.275V for some reason. That works out to be around 2.34V in Probe.. These dimms are rated at 2.4V but I also know that the D9s generally don't like to be subjected to that voltage for long periods of time..

I've tried everything. I've spent hours painstakingly testing every voltage setting in the BIOS and Priming to see if there was some other way to get the voltage down on those Dimms and still have my computer stable, but nothing seems to work.. The only thing I haven't tried is running my Dimms at 675MHz but what is the point of buying good RAM if you are going to have to run it at such a slow speed.. I've already relaxed my timings to get the whole thing stable..

Long story short, if I want my computer stable, they need that much voltage, but it looks like that is killing my RAM.. Also, I'm almost 90% sure that the fried RAM came from the same slot. I forgot to check before I pulled everything out to test it the first time. That could be the cause too..

I'm not really in a position at the moment to wait for Motherboards to be replaced either.. Running 2GBs instead of 4 is much more appealing to me at the moment so I'm going to see how it goes the next month or so, then make a decision on the RMA..

If the new Revision of the Striker has the 570 Southbridge does that mean it is just a P5N32-E SLI Plus with all the extras?

man my system is stable but i still seem to get crc errors on almost all my software
ive used them all before on my previous rig and they work perfect so i know that there is nothing wrong with the software that i use ive alredy taken out the 2 faulty RAM modules and installed the OS and everything after removing them but i still get the damned crc errors wat do i do is this board plagued by the SATA problems like the other companies like evga

i dont know what to do?????????????

The Striker never had the SATA problems because it is a different design.

I would post your BIOS settings so we can see exactly what is going on under the hood. If you have a look through the last couple of pages of this thread, you can see the form you should fill out..

I thought you posted that it all woked now ? Ever thought of swapping the dvd drive, using another S-ATA/IDE cable...
Normally the Striker doesn't have S-ATA probs , which S-ATA ports are used by the drives....

Ya PSU is not very good Antec PSU's are not good for stable operation

Yep than it will be an overdosed Plus board with all the gimmicks ( that are pretty useless ) but performance will be on par no worries there according benchies....

ya my system is now stable but some of my games like supreme commander and other software give me crc errors during installation and ive used them before so i know that they are not corrupted that is why i was asking if there is a problem of SATA becoz supcom is direct2drive so i only have it on my HDD and even some software is only on HDD that is why i was wondering
shuld i try the new beta bios 1102 ???
everything is running on auto in the bios and how do u change the multiplier in the bios for the processor i change it then save and exit but it just changes back to the default

i have E6600 default is x9 i change it and it doesnt change do u noe how to sove the problem with supcom and the software

Leeghoofd - so if it is supposed to be a Plus board with extras does it use the 650 Northbridge or the 680?

Just saw a thread in XS that mentioned RAM that has errors at 800Mhz won't have errors at 667Mhz and 900Mhz.. I knew about the 667Mhz but I didn't know about the 900! I'll definitely try that out when I get my RMA'd sticks back!

Getutsave - Have you used these files after your RAM died and you were trying to install them? This is just a guess from me but you might have corrupted the data when you were trying to install it. Data corruption is not really my thing, but I guess a disk checking program with automatic error correction might help... You might have to download SupCom again if you can.

680i chipset with 570 south was it I guess, will contact l00dz to find out, it's like some EVGA boards are popping up with a different southbridge and being better and more stable....

no i havent used these files after the Ram died because i assembled the entire computer with the new RAM but on the old rig SupCom used to run fine and allthe other software too but can u tell me about this disk cheking software that automatically corrects errors?????????

BTW the SUPCOM is in the form of an iso image

posted at the asus website: http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx...&model=Striker+Extreme&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

"This issue has been answered several times before.

It´s a bug within vista, you MUST install it with 2GB Memory installed, then apply Microsoft Patch KB929777 (Vista 64, check if it works for 32 or if you have to get a different patch), then you can run 4 GB"

Not sure if it works will try when i get my RMA board back.
here is teh Microsoft link http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=929777

Leeghoofd - Cool, thanks for the info. I'm in Australia though and hardware usually takes a little longer to get here than the States. I might wait a bit and hope and pray if I RMA the board, I get the new revision.

Snappyt - I hope this fixes your problem, although there are still a lot of people that have installed this patch, or are running XP that have been having problems with 4Gb. I still think it's the motherboard unfortunately.

wat about me i installed vista 32bit with 2gb ram but im still getting crc errors and as i said before supcom is iso image and its direct2drive if it gets corrupted ill have to buy it agian any help

Are they the same programs that are giving you the errors? If your computer is stable and the same programs are giving the errors, I would say your data has been corrupted. If the sticks of RAM were playing up when you installed windows and copied the files across from another computer, that may have been when the files were corrupted.

As I said before, I am really not an expert when it comes to this sort of thing so the following advise might be useless. I would run scandisk with automatic error-checking enabled for a start to see if that helps.. Otherwise, do a google search for "CRC Fix" or something similar to see if there are any other utilities to help repair your files. I would also consider the fact you may just have to download the program again. That's part of the reason I've never used Direct2Drive or something similar. Having the CD is much friendlier in situations like this.

Think WorthIt is rigth that the iso image is prolly corrupted, can't you burn it to a cd or DVD with eg Alcohol 120% once you downloaded it ? I always backup my stuff often....

Soz man this sucks awesomely but I'll think you have to down it again... :(

i couldnt get a dula layered DVD is there nething i can do to fix the errors i copied the files from my old harddisk with the 2 faulty ram modules alot of software is corrupted wat do i do any thing that can fix this sort of thing

if the data is still on the old drive hook it up then....

if the files are still in rar/zip shape there are a few tools you can try , if not try to grab them again :(

nope i moved the data from the old drive not copied it so thers no hope of getting it back but i went to the direct2drive site told them about the problem and they said i could down it again without having to pay so its cool and since most of the time i buy software on the internet and download them ive spoken to all the other companies they told me to down it again without any exxtra $$ so its ok but i live in india and the net here is horrible 256 kbps is the speed of the net so i can only download at bout 30 kbps that really p*sses me off as its gonna take a hell of a long time to get supcom again

but at least my comp is stable thankx guys:p :p :p

Hi guys, I recently built a new pc for a friend, the specs were:

Intel Core 2 Duo Extreme QX6700
Asus Striker Extreme
2x 1024x2 OCZ Gold DDR2-800 5-5-5-12
2x 150 GB raptor 10,000 RPM hard drives
Geforce 7600 GT
Antec Neo Power 550w PSU
Antec P180 case
Windows Vista 64x Home Premium

I put it all together, and followed the advice and managed to install vista with 2 gig of ram. Proceeded to put the other two gig of ram in, after the update on Windows Update and it crashed. Tried with 3 gig and it works, i've swapped the modules round and it isn't just one module or one slot, it's as soon as it hits 4 gig.

I did some bios testing and found on a few settings it would get into vista and seem very stable, but if the pc was restarted at all it would then not boot into vista, especially if the motherboard had been shut down and it wasnt just a software rest. In the end after much tweaking I found I couldnt fix it, I've tried lowering the FPS, changing the timings increasing voltages and none seem to make it more or less stable. It gets to the loading bar in vista and on some settings will crash straight away, on others it will crash later. But none load vista except for very random occasions.

I told my friend that for the moment he would have to stick with 3 gig of ram, until Asus have released a bios update. He's on 1004 at the moment, this is the latest and best right? Is it likely a new bios update will be released in April? I built it in march, been almost a month. I've tried a few FSB tricks, one that needed the fsb to be specifically set to 667, but that didn't help much.

Can anyone offer some advice?

MM latest bios I have is 1102, it's still a beta but no news on what is changed yes or no, I can tell ya it runs rock stable on my Striker but flashing is at own risk

file here :

http://users.pandora.be/OAP/Striker/SE1102.zip

You got me puzzled with ya FSB story, so the CPU is at stock speed ? and you downclocked the ram correct, instead of 800mhz to 667Mhz. Have you set voltages differently especially for the NB to eg 1.4 or even 1.45 to get it stable, have you memtested the rig with the 4 gigs installed ? Google for Hirens boot cd and downlaod it burn it to a bootable Cd and let it run Goldmemory for hours,...

Tried Winxp ( just for testing purposes , it seems to me Vista is still too buggy )

Also for that rig mate the Antec PSU is not very good, many instability probs have been to bad SPU's including many many Antec PSU's, if he will upgrade the grafix in the future he will have to update the PSU as well. don't get the CPU/GFX combo at all , hope he's not a gamer that wants 1600x1200 res gaming done....

I should clarify that the pc spec if for rendering in Maya only really. he doesnt play the latest games and will upgrade the gfx card when he needs to. He also only has a 17 inch tft with a screen res of 1280x1024.

The cpu is actually at 3.2 ghz overclocked from stock, but ive tried it with stock speeds too, at the moment with 3 GIG in its running at 800 mhz FSB, and with stock timings. I've tried increasing the NB votage and ram voltage. Doesn't help. As soon as I stick a 4th stick in it doesn't boot vista.

I've tried all 4 sticks and a 3 stick config works fine, 4th stick always causes errors, I've tried memtest and the like, no errors on 3 sticks. Some on 4 sticks. I havn't tried XP but i've tried vista 32bit with 4 gig and vista 64 bit with 4 gig and they always crash. Although 32 bit did seem more stable at 667 fsb (it would actually boot) where as 64 bit doesn't even boot.

I will give this bios a look when i next go over. Hopefully its good? Antec have fared me well before and 550w should be fine. It's not just about high wattage, its about the quality of the power and the amperes on the 12v rails, which are very stable. I've built some other pcs with similar type specs and it was fine. Vista is buggy, but it's not that buggy, and concidering the whole thread has been about problems with the striker it seems more like a fault on Asus side.

Still thanks for sending me a link to a new bios :D I'll give it a go!

Another victim... :( The more I hear about it, the more 4Gb on the Striker seems like a bad dream.

I've said this before, but I did the following to get my RAM stable on my Striker. I don't expect the results to be the same for your setup but I hope this helps somewhat.

1. Undervolt your RAM. (I've heard this from a few places and it definitely worked for me)
2. Relax your timings.
3. Make sure the Northbridge is kept cool. (I am about to set up two little 40mm fans either side of the northbridge to keep it cool without having to take off my heatpipes. I'll post pictures when I get my stolen camera back from insurance.)

how the hell do u overclock the processor on the striker
bcoz even after changing the multiplier on the bios after booting up it pushes the multiplier back to the deefault setting wat do i do

The multiplier on your processor is locked gututsav. Only extreme versions of processors have their multipliers unlocked. i.e. Processors with "X" in the name. You are going to have to increase your Front Side Bus if you want to overclock your machine. Read through this - It has some useful information in it if you want to learn more about it.

http://www.nvidia.com/docs/CP/45121/nforce_680i_sli_overclocking.pdf

It also might be worth your while to google a couple of overclocking guides as well. They have some useful info in them and can point you in the right direction.

has anyone got Corsiar XMS2 2x1GB 6400 C4PRO working in dual channel mode?

I can get a single stick working ok in slot 2,3 or 4, and had 2gb working in slots 3 and 4, but cant get one in 1 or 2 and the other in 3 or 4.

Played around with a few voltages etc from my readings - but does anyone have their exact settings they needed to get this setup working?

for anybody else struggling with my problem - I solved it by updating to Beta bios 1102, AI tuning on Auto, LDT frequency to 4x

Thanks for the info - I wonder if it was the BIOS update that fixed your problems or changing the LDT to 4x?

Are you able to test how much performance was lost if you change the LDT from 5x to 4x boogee or do you still get BSOD's when you use 5x?

In my earlier post about 4 gig ram not working I said
posted at the asus website: http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx...&model=Striker+Extreme&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

"This issue has been answered several times before.

It´s a bug within vista, you MUST install it with 2GB Memory installed, then apply Microsoft Patch KB929777 (Vista 64, check if it works for 32 or if you have to get a different patch), then you can run 4 GB"

Not sure if it works will try when i get my RMA board back.
here is teh Microsoft link http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=929777

Has anyone corrected the 4 gig ram problem with this fix from microsoft, or is it strickly a motherboard issue with asus? Anyone solved the issue? I am unclear if 4 gig of ram will work. I just recieved my rma motherboard back, basically the retailer i bought from sent another board, with low serial number, just like the one I had. I am going to attempt to put my computer back together but as you can see by all my koolance cooling, it is going to be a task; and if i get the same problems... I hate to dissasemble my rig. Any suggestions?

I started adjusting LDT to 4x back with rev. 1004 - if it was set on 5x my machine would not warm reboot, always had to turn off and on again.

I didn't test if 5x is working now I am on 1102, it is just habit when running through and setting the bios up again to change to 4x.

It was definitely the update to 1102 that fixed my problem, I literally tried everything I possibly could to get dual channel working. Flashed to 1102, reset the CMOS (had to do this with the power supply plugged in... odd I know but it would just not reset), booted with single stick, setup including LDT to 4x and Corsair rated timings, put the second stick in and it worked.

Are you able to change the LDT back to 5x for a short time to see if that was the actual problem? I'm just trying to work out personally if this is the BIOS everyone is waiting for. There are so many people with 4GBs of RAM problems with this board..

snappyt, there are people who have corrected this problem with that fix yes, but there are also people who have applied the fix and it hasn't changed much at all..

hy i heard about the fix microsoft came up with to fix the problem in vista with 4gb ram
but before i apply the update everything works perfectly but after i apply KB929777 update the computer wont boot it crashes with a BSOD now wats the problem
im on bios 1004

I recieved my RMA board back today... actually the company I bought it from sent a new one, and the serial number is 17 away from the one I bought. I was hoping to get a brand spanking new board, bummer. But after hooking up the Board I ran into a minor error, didn't set restore my raid... Then MB would reboot. After Clearing the CMOS, and setting my raid...NP.

Also running 4 gig np...yet. Question: Running cpuz I see that my SPD timings are listed, but my actual ram timings differ... How do I set the Board to read my SPD on startup?

I am running Klipshe 4.1 and couldn't get the sound card to hear rear speakers... I setup as quadrophonic and no sound, but then I hit 5.1 and tested speakers, I heard rear sound. So I clicked quadrophonic again and whalla... I heard rear speakers.. Go figure.

Now time to OC this Rig. I do believe that the problems with the 4 gig ram not working is the voltage regulator getting too hot. I have now watercooled my rig, even the voltage regulators.. so I will keep u informed. Check out the watercooling: http://www.theentity.com/insane/

snappyt - Your watercooling hurts my eyes. :) Setting your SLI RAM setting to Expert will tell your motherboard to read your SPD settings. If you are overclocking though, I think you might have to set your timings manually in the BIOS, as you may have to loosten some of them as your overclock your RAM.

gututsav - If it aint broke, don't fix it. Take out 2Gbs of RAM and uninstall the update.

Hi guys,this is my first post here, but have been reading this forum very interestedly as I am in the process of building a striker extreme system. The last component is in the mail (evga 8800 GTX) and should be here the day after tomorrow, but I am kinda nervous after reading all about problems with striker and corsair RAM. You guessed it, I have 2G of Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400C4.
I would be very grateful for any advice on setting up this system smoothly. I am planning on overclocking it eventually, but perhaps I am looking too far ahead, sound like I might have problems just getting it stable at normal speeds :)

However, I am going to be optimistic, and assume it will work fine. (Just in case, what should RAM voltages be for safest running?)
Could some kind person please post me settings to OC the C2Duo e6600 to btwn 3 and 3.5 GHz?
My system is as follows:
NZXT Lexa Case
Asus Striker Extreme
C2Duo E6600
Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme Cooler With Scythe Flex 1600 RPM Fan
2GB TWIN2X2048-6400C4 RAM
Evga 8800 GTX
Raptor 150GB 10,00 RPM
Ultra ULT33136 XVS Modular 600W Power Supply

Sorry if I am posting out of place, first poster alert ya know :)

like everyone says first go into bios before loading windows so you dont crash upon install
go into overclocking menu and go into memory and you must put in manually 4,4,4,12, and also you must put in the command rate at 2T ....and leave the sli memory disabled on the main menu!!!!
under same overclocking menu since you have extreme processor put the multiplier at 12 this will make you run at 3.2.....and you can do this without requiring any cooling upgrades since i see you already are replacing the stock intel cooler
and finally on the voltage menus ...just bump the memory volts up to 2.175v .....i know it says 2.1 but trust me this will not hurt ....leave everything else on auto or their default settings!!!!!!
ohh i almost forgot first download the newest bios!!!

that will get you up and running pretty stable....when you want to overclock in the future then you must bring the multiplier down and than you can mess with the fsb.....and memory frequencies

oh and by the way keep 2gb ...dont go for 4gb (4 sticks) .....you will have nuttin but probs ..

Anyone tried 2gb X 2 sticks instead of 4 X 1gb? I wanna go for 4gb using 2 gig sticks. You think I will have any problems with this board?

mcq300 - There was a few guys on here that changed their memory to the G-Skill or Geil sticks (can't remember which ones) and had great success. One guy is actually running 8GBs of Memory on the Striker without incident. Just search back through this thread and you will find the exact memory to buy for things to work right. I guess you have to find the right brand of Memory for compatibility on this board.

Getutsav - From my understanding, there are only a few games that are currently native 64-bit and there isn't a great increase in performance graphics wise on these considering the graphics cards that you will be using are the same. CPU intensive games may get a boost however. It is also worth noting that 64-bit windows can run 32-bit applications still so installing 64-bit windows won't limit you in any way.

Back