Striker Extreme II at the Egg

ROFL!!!

I'm sorry but if any of you buy this shit and make Asus think this kind of pricing is okay, I'm going to kick you in the jaw. It seems that now, with every new chipset, mobo prices will go up $100. That's just unfuckingbelieveable. Then on top of that, a $120 price premium over a 790i reference board... without any major additional features? What. The. Fuck. In fact, the Striker II Extreme uses that stupid add-on card for the sound, so even if it were CHEAPER than the reference boards, I'd probably still get one of those.

That is exactly the problem NK is people will pay it. The value added is questionable as you pointed out, but look at the prices for graphics cards, high end cases etc. People with too much money will pay whatever for high end stuff. Asus has the perception is they have good quality. Throw in the latest chip set, an elegant cooling solution and it's a $400 board.

How'd you know those were in my basket?

EDIT: This picture is not to be taken seriously, just having a little fun:

hulk2rh0.jpg

I don't see what the shock is about the price.

Then on top of that, a $120 price premium over a 790i reference board.

The Striker Extreme 1 was $400 at launch, compared to the $250 for the evga board at the time. Now the evga 490i board is 350, the Striker Extreme 2 is 470... So if anything, the price disparity isn't as bad on 790i as it was on the 680i.

And let's be honest here, the entire price point of SLI and it's value is ridiculous to start with, let alone tripple SLI.

Wait till all the other high end 790i boards go on the market, I'm sure all the prices will be bad.

I guess I just don't see what this board has over the 790i reference boards, other than the option of watercooling it. (If you're not going to watercool, its cooling setup is worse than the reference one, and you can bet the waterblock on this thing is crap.) Im all for spending money on expensive and awesome hardware, but $120 extra for essentially nothing?

I guess someone who is going entirely watercooled and doesn't want a single unnecessary fan on their mobo might like this.

Check his post history, he already said he's getting Quad SLI ;)

well maybe.. Now some memory bandwidth issues have come to light,
I may end up with 2 gtxs. And ya I'm watercooling. With a kickass koolance rig.
But that's not the real reason I went with this board. I got it because I've been asus
exclusive since sometime in the late 90s, and I wanted 790i. Never had a problem with any board of theirs yet, so the extra money spent is worth it to me...

Ok, I was just kidding about the koolance part. I'm doing custom with a 2x120 and a 3x120.

You really scared me with that Koolance thing for a second... I was like.. what the fuck is he cheaping out on the watercooling for. LOL

Well, looks like lower class people like myself will have to wait until you guys abuse those suckers all you want and when you longer want them and sell them as used for 75% off the original price then I will grab one from you guys then. Sheesh...gas price is skyrocketing, everything cost 2x/3x/4x of what they used to, what is this world coming to? The End of the World is Near!

Whats gonna piss me off is 2 months from now when that board is selling for 200-220.

What's going to piss you off is when the reference boards OC better and ASUS is still fucking around trying to get a stable BIOS 8 months after launch.

What's going to piss you off is when the reference boards OC better and ASUS is still fucking around trying to get a stable BIOS 8 months after launch.

That's the risk every early adopter takes. It could just as easily be half the xfx and evga boards fail after x amount of time, etc.

I wonder how much of that $469.99 is the result of Newegg's price gouging, or is it Asus' high msrp.

I felt that way with the original Striker, till the reference boards started killing ram and imploding left and right.

Back