Stress test a video card?

MrMitch

Spinning Drives Rule!
Whats the preferred method now days to test a card ? Getting some weird crashes in game where the screen locks but I still have sound and everything, not sure if its the game or me, as I can play other games just fine, so I was looking for some direction on stress testing.

Free is always good but would pay for a proper peice of software

Furmark, 3D Mark, and Unigine Valley.

3D Mark is the only paid app in that list, and paying for it allows you to loop any particular test (though not likely worth $25 asking price so wait for a sale).

I run Valley, Crysis 3 and CoD: Ghosts/Advanced Warfare. When the OC passes several runs of these, I'm good to go.

Whats the preferred method now days to test a card ? Getting some weird crashes in game where the screen locks but I still have sound and everything, not sure if its the game or me, as I can play other games just fine, so I was looking for some direction on stress testing.

Free is always good but would pay for a proper peice of software

It's very hard, since gpus dynamically adjust based on load, and different 3D programs stress the gpu in different ways. Try underclocking the gpu with MSI AB to see if the problem goes away -- again the gpu drops voltage when clocks drop, so this doesn't help like it used to (>_<) had to edit my voltage/boost table and reflash last time one of my nv cards got flaky.

I use the GPU tab in OCCT stress testing software. GPU-Z also has a stress tester I believe, though I haven't used it.

to me its common sense to just try a lower overclock in what ever game is crashing. if your not overclocking then thats a bit different...

I've heard people say that the DX12 mode in Rise of the Tomb Raider pushed their cards farther than anything else and made it clear that some OCs that they thought were stable previously actually weren't.

OCCT and turn on artifact detector, spots artifacts that your eye might not see. Also keep Vsync off in your GPU control panel for maximum stress.

Back