'Street Fighter V' To Publicly Humiliate Rage Quitters

HardOCP News

[H] News
I think all multiplayer games should have a feature like this. Badges that let you know this person is AFK all the time, this guy quits early, so on and so forth.

Combined with gradually increasing penalties, though, this could make it harder for quitters to escape consequences for their actions. That, in turn, could encourage them to honorably accept their defeats instead of jumping ship the moment it's clear that they'll lose.

...and it only took them 10 months to implement this. Definite step in the right direction, though. I haven't run into all that many RQ issues in SF5, though.

Wish all PvP games were stricter on this type of behavior...

yes, especially ones where it won't refill the position so you are forced to really end the match. I am sure people with network problems will be flagged as well, but honestly I don't care. I don't want players, that can't stay for a whole match regardless of reason, in my game.

In playing the game for nearly a full year, I don't think I've ever had a game drop due to network issues. At least instances where it wasn't Capcom's own shaky servers at fault. Those give you a very specific error message, though.
Lord only knows that I've had to slog through my fair share of matches vs. opponents in Brazil or Scandinavia where our connection was awful. It usually just comes down to who can spam the most, but the matches almost never drop. In ranked matches the game seems to be more selective, but in casual it'll pull horrible connections seemingly no matter what your settings are.

Love it.

I'd go a bit further though. One thing that bothers me with Battlefield One is the trophy for everyone. Person goes 4-1 while playing the full game (25+ mins), they get "Best Scout". I think they should get "Biggest Coward" instead. I'm sorry current generation. I don't care what psychologists say. It's time we start shaming people who are detrimental.

yes, especially ones where it won't refill the position so you are forced to really end the match. I am sure people with network problems will be flagged as well, but honestly I don't care. I don't want players, that can't stay for a whole match regardless of reason, in my game.
Pretty much. If your connection is so unreliable that you run the risk of getting DC'd multiple times a day, then you should consider either getting it fixed or finding another game where it doesn't matter, rather than ruining the experience of everyone else. Assuming the people putting this system in place aren't idiots, odds are the one DC you might get a week due to random ISP hiccups won't be a problem, and if your connection does get a spotty then go do something else for a bit and come back once it's working properly again.

Overwatch is still terrible about this because they won't issue 30 minute bans for offenders, it'd be plenty of time for people to get their connection sorted if they really do have a problem, but no... you still get leavers who prompt matches to get aborted immediately(no penalty to anyone but the leaver) after you've been waiting 3-5 minutes on matchmaking, or they just don't care and you end up having to finish the game as a 5v6(it's really not any fun stomping the enemy team because they had a leaver either).

Pretty much. If your connection is so unreliable that you run the risk of getting DC'd multiple times a day, then you should consider either getting it fixed or finding another game where it doesn't matter, rather than ruining the experience of everyone else. Assuming the people putting this system in place aren't idiots, odds are the one DC you might get a week due to random ISP hiccups won't be a problem, and if your connection does get a spotty then go do something else for a bit and come back once it's working properly again.

Overwatch is still terrible about this because they won't issue 30 minute bans for offenders, it'd be plenty of time for people to get their connection sorted if they really do have a problem, but no... you still get leavers who prompt matches to get aborted immediately(no penalty to anyone but the leaver) after you've been waiting 3-5 minutes on matchmaking, or they just don't care and you end up having to finish the game as a 5v6(it's really not any fun stomping the enemy team because they had a leaver either).

OW penalizes leavers. It starts at 10 minutes then goes up to 30, then an hour I think. There are people on the forums complaining about full season bans.

Well, I am all for consequences in ranked play, but casual PVP is casual. I have 14 month old twins. I play games (currently overwatch) from 10pm to about 1am. My wife is a teacher and sleeps from 10pm to 530am. Probably at least once per gaming session I have to run across the house and put a pacifier back in a baby's mouth and run back. I can usually accomplish before the AFK timeout, but sometimes I do get kicked.

I don't think there should be a penalty in QP for this, but I don't play competitive because of my situation (got 10 games in last season because my wife was off for fall break!). I think people take things too seriously in casual PVP.

OW penalizes leavers. It starts at 10 minutes then goes up to 30, then an hour I think. There are people on the forums complaining about full season bans.
They definitely do full season bans eventually, but the penalties for it don't start harshly enough. As it is, there are people who will play as 4 or 5 stacks and if they lose the initial encounter too badly they'll just rotate out which one leaves and force the whole match to get abandoned within the first minute or so, then be on their way to the next one. As long as they don't do it too often compared to games actually played, they just keep on going so they can avoid losses by getting spanked too badly.

Well, I am all for consequences in ranked play, but casual PVP is casual. I have 14 month old twins. I play games (currently overwatch) from 10pm to about 1am. My wife is a teacher and sleeps from 10pm to 530am. Probably at least once per gaming session I have to run across the house and put a pacifier back in a baby's mouth and run back. I can usually accomplish before the AFK timeout, but sometimes I do get kicked.

I don't think there should be a penalty in QP for this, but I don't play competitive because of my situation (got 10 games in last season because my wife was off for fall break!). I think people take things too seriously in casual PVP.
Oh definitely. Casual is just whatever, and in the case of overwatch there is backfill for players leaving anyway. The problem with actual comp play is wasting 20 minutes of time for the other people and screwing an entire time. You've made the right choice in sticking to casual due to your circumstances(kid obviously has to come first over gaming).

I suspect that depending on how SFV actually handles win/loss with disconnects(I haven't seen any specifics on whether they grant the leaver a loss and win for the person who stayed, which might actually be the root of the problem), they could have been inadvertently promoting the poor behavior the entire time.

I like the idea.

With Battlefield 3 (4, maybe?), I hated online play. Just so many cheaters or people quitting mid-game that knocked the team down. When I was able to join on a [H] server with good people, it was a much better experience. People wanted to play the game. I still sucked, but I had a good time.

It's all in who you play it with. Identify those shit players so you don't have to play with them, and your gaming experience will be better.

Need this in League of Legends ASAP. Good luck convincing Rito that it's a good idea though as they are notoriously turtle paced when it comes to obvious basic improvements.

There's a casual mode in SF5 (that has no associated points/rankings) that almost certainly won't be affected by this.

They should track whether someone is currently winning/losing during the disconnect, and then secretly only match the losing people with other disconnectors.
Then it should average the players disconnect times and auto disconnect at that time frame anyways. If a player continuously meets the auto disconnect time, then its kind of safe to say they are now wanting to actually finish a match.

Either they will get better to win in a shorter time frame, or they will accept their scar and start playing full matches to win/loss, or they will give up entirely.
Kind of a win for everyone.

I mean ok I guess. I don't really see the point to be honest in a 1v1 type of game. Guy lost, knew he lost and quit..big deal. Why does him rage quitting bother anyone else?

Now if we were talking about team based games where other people rely on you, then this would make a whole lot more sense. There is nothing more frustrating than being in a team based game and having some jackass tilt and quit putting you at a player disadvantage.

I mean ok I guess. I don't really see the point to be honest in a 1v1 type of game. Guy lost, knew he lost and quit..big deal. Why does him rage quitting bother anyone else?

Now if we were talking about team based games where other people rely on you, then this would make a whole lot more sense. There is nothing more frustrating than being in a team based game and having some jackass tilt and quit putting you at a player disadvantage.
Well, if it's possible to avoid a loss(and granting the person that stayed a win), it might be a problem(does the game even have dedicated servers? or is it p2p and the match just basically ends up void?). It could also be an issue depending on how the matchmaking works, if you end up having to twiddle your thumbs for 5 minutes only to have an idiot DC on you halfway through the match it could be a little annoying.

edit: Actually taking the time to look this up, it seems that they did have an issue and addressed it with 24 hour bans and league point losses, but I guess it's still enough of a problem? http://shoryuken.com/2016/08/17/rag...quitters-for-24-hours-with-a-1000-lp-penalty/

edit again: And apparently at launch, it didn't even count as a loss http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1184225

People might not want to admit it but the actual "kill" itself is really the "high" point of the match for them. This why forfeits/resigns from your opponent can leave the victor rather dissatisfied by comparison. An extreme example of this is in some games where it is possible for one side to intentionally stall out an inevitable victory and get those "kills" over and over again.

People might not want to admit it but the actual "kill" itself is really the "high" point of the match for them. This why forfeits/resigns from your opponent can leave the victor rather dissatisfied by comparison. An extreme example of this is in some games where it is possible for one side to intentionally stall out an inevitable victory and get those "kills" over and over again.

I guess..personally I find it far more enjoyable when I push someone to the point of rage quitting instead of just winning. Winning is easy, making someone smash their shit is an artform. :D

I guess..personally I find it far more enjoyable when I push someone to the point of rage quitting instead of just winning. Winning is easy, making someone smash their shit is an artform. :D

I agree. As long as the rage quit counts as a loss for them and a win for me, but I can see how this could be exploited to boost characters so there should be a timer. For any other game where more people are involved, yes punish the bastards!

Back