Street Fighter V (Exclusive to PS4 and PC!)

SF5 definitely divided the community. The current iteration has won some people back, but there are a lot of players (including a lot of pros) that don't like it and have backed away. Others have gone along with it because it's basically 5 or another game with a niche audience. Some, like Justin Wong, play other titles 90% of the time even if they are elite SF5 players.

They aren't going to ever make everyone happy, but I think one key is to have a mechanic with "levels." Something that new players can use and enjoy while providing something elite players can use to set themselves apart. In SF5 you can watch a Ryu ranked 150,000 in the world and one ranked 15 in the world and you're going to see nearly the same things. There are no advanced techniques that allow for any level of variety, player expression, etc. Plus, some characters simply have better moves than others. Especially with the V-system. They need something that creates variety and can allow both new and advanced players to advance their game.

SF4 definitely brought fighting games back into the mainstream. People played games like Tekken, KOF, anime fighters, Mahvel, etc. in local meetups, but the scenes were dying. New players weren't coming around. It was just the same people. I was big into Tekken back in those days and Tekken Zaibatsu was turning into a ghost town in spite of Dark Resurrection being the possibly the best Tekken ever. Arcades were closing left and right and the ones that were left didn't care about fighting games. SF4 changed all of that. Hell, it brought about the "09'er" term that people still use. The scene wasn't dead at the time, but it was on life support. Fighting games are interesting because they tend to be insular. Street Fighter is probably the most "international" example since it's big all over US, Europe, Brazil, Japan, and (a little) in Korea. SNK titles are absolutely huge in central/south America. Tekken is big in Korea, the southeastern US, and (to everyone's surprise a few years ago) Pakistan.

A huge part of that was it being the first one to have online. Yes there were ways to do similar things with ROMs but that wasn't mainstream. I still have arcade cabs and play locally for things but that was where the action was.

All at the same time Starcraft players are filling stadiums, collecting six figure salaries, dating models, and it's Koreas national TV. I agree about them being insular, the community largely is as well. The pros at the time and still even now are painfully aware how shitty they have it compared to other genres. There's less griping, at least they are part of esports now even if they were late to the mainstream side of it. They get some money, even though it's still rather low. There's also the HUGE issue that the community has way too many titles, and like you said it's insular with everyone in their own pool.

4 really got lucky because it was the first online one and people were thirsty for another one. There is no way they can replicate those circumstances. Doesn't mean they can't make 6 a good game, but they don't have the externals. The next lightning in a bottle is going to have to come with some sort of tech leap as well.

Seems the mostly broken Street Fighter x Tekken is about to return to Steam. It relied on GFWL and Capcom basically bailed on it rather than fix it. There have been homegrown patches that "fix" the game and add all sorts of things (including the PS3 exclusive characters) for years, but you haven't even been able to buy the game for a little while. The community seems to think that some of the homegrown patch items might be coming over with the update, too. I actually like the game, so I'm a little bit excited to be able to play more people online. With some luck, maybe they'll finally fix some of the control issues, too. For some reason the PC version randomly ignores crouch inputs for no real rhyme or reason. It makes the Tekken characters even more OP'd than they already are.

Seems the mostly broken Street Fighter x Tekken is about to return to Steam. It relied on GFWL and Capcom basically bailed on it rather than fix it. There have been homegrown patches that "fix" the game and add all sorts of things (including the PS3 exclusive characters) for years, but you haven't even been able to buy the game for a little while. The community seems to think that some of the homegrown patch items might be coming over with the update, too. I actually like the game, so I'm a little bit excited to be able to play more people online. With some luck, maybe they'll finally fix some of the control issues, too. For some reason the PC version randomly ignores crouch inputs for no real rhyme or reason. It makes the Tekken characters even more OP'd than they already are.
Put CVS and CVS2 in a package and throw that up on steam.

The final SF5 update is due on March 29th. Based on what they're showing in the trailer, it looks like they're allowing for more EX and trigger moves to be chained together. Hopefully they nerf all of the characters that simply alternate throws and buttons that lead to big damage.

Back