Street Fighter V (Exclusive to PS4 and PC!)

Nice they are updating it - would be even better if the prorated or had a "Steam Bundle" style upgrade for those who already had certain content. Likewise, if it included all previously released costumes save for the Capcom Pro Tour etc.

Oh and regarding a new arcade control set... I too have been looking into crafting an upgaded stick. Aside from those who will really and truly design and build from scratch, I've heard that these are some of the best - Panzer Fight Stick 3 (and all its variations) - http://www.jasenscustoms.com/ . Comes in fully assembled and do-it-yourself.

Nice, I hadn't seen those sticks before. I build my own, but those look pretty solid.

The last two I built were done into melamine boards, and were wide enough for two players to sit behind. Then it could mount on a stand for standing or chair-seated play, or come off and sit on the floor as well.

This time, I've laid out some drawings to get 6mm thick milled/anodized aluminum panels for the controls to mount into. One with a trackball, the other without. The two controllers will be usable individually for lap/table-top use, or will drop into a stand that I still need to design side by side for two player, or for dual-stick games.

I've got all of the parts on hand except the controller PCBs and the trackball. The rest are Happ parts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahhh it sounds like you've got a good handle on things. I don't feel I have the drafting experience or the metalworking ability to craft a case on the level of Jasen's (I could work with wood and probably acrylic, given the time etc), so I was thinking of buying the Do It Yourself version from Jasens, as the assembly and procurement of additional parts could be handled without much trouble I figure. If you need a controller board, I've heard the Brook Universal Fighting Board is currently pretty popular and widely compatible.

This whole thing seems like a really good deal for those that never took the plunge. For those that have, it feels like we should get something else. The DLC characters cost as much as this whole stand-alone game.

https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2017/oct/15/zeku-announced-street-fighter-5/

Zeku is (unsurprisingly) the final DLC character for season 2. He looks like a hybrid of Nash and Ibuki to me. It'll be interesting to see how he plays, but his moveset doesn't seem very creative. I'm also puzzled why there are so many blonde characters in the game. Anyway, season 2 is a wrap.

It'll be interesting to see what the "Arcade Edition" and season 3 bring. The data miners are saying the game has room for multiple supers, v-skills, and v-triggers even though Capcom hasn't commented on anything except v-triggers. Everything is still pointing toward Sagat, Sakura, and Oro being added. Viper is another strong possibility. The others are still a total mystery.
I'm realistically hoping for Dan and E. Honda. Hugo and T. Hawk would be amazing, but there's no way in hell either will make it. If I was a gambler I'd pick Yun/Yang, Blanka, and Cody.

So, I don't remember Zeku. Was he in a previous SF or was he from another franchise or mashup game? Granted it's been at least two years since I fired up SF3 or Alpha 3. I don't remember him being in the SF4 variations.

Also, I came here to see if you had posted this already. :D

So, I don't remember Zeku. Was he in a previous SF or was he from another franchise or mashup game? Granted it's been at least two years since I fired up SF3 or Alpha 3. I don't remember him being in the SF4 variations.

Also, I came here to see if you had posted this already. :D

Zeku is Guy's master. He hasn't really been in much. I think he's in Guy's ending in one of the Alpha games, but that's it. Capcom said that after Akuma that all of the other Season 2 characters would be new. Hence we got characters that have been mentioned in passing, but haven't been playable in anything before.
S3 is supposed to be a return to older SF characters.

Zeku is Guy's master. He hasn't really been in much. I think he's in Guy's ending in one of the Alpha games, but that's it. Capcom said that after Akuma that all of the other Season 2 characters would be new. Hence we got characters that have been mentioned in passing, but haven't been playable in anything before.
S3 is supposed to be a return to older SF characters.

Oh! Duh, now I remember reading that somewhere. Maybe even one of your earlier posts. :D Thanks.

I'm actually pretty happy with the character selection at this point. Well, not the overall count (compared to many of the other more recent games) but most of my favorites are in place now, so I can effectively play.

I'm somewhat satisfied. This iteration of Zangief is my favorite one to date. I love being able to snuff out 95% of wake up attacks, blow through fireballs, and combo into his super move. Plus, the SPD still grabs from a mile away. It's like the best of SF4 and Alpha blended together.

Yet I don't really care for the other grappling characters all that much. It feels like Capcom tried to hard to make everyone style hybrids. I want another pure grappler with a long distance suction-style grab. Birdie, Necalli, Laura, Mika, and Abigail are brawlers that just happen to have a command grab to keep people honest. I'd like something closer to T. Hawk, Darun, or Hakan. I want a grab-first offense.

I don't really even have a pocket character in SFV thanks to them not using the character select screen before matches. I'm passable with Ryu, but probably can't do much with anyone else. Reports say the character select screen might be returning, so that'll be nice. If I thump someone with Zangief and want to swap (or they want to swap), it should be allowed.

As more footage comes out (and per his official movelist), he might not be quite as derivative as I initially thought. He has 2 styles (old vs. new) with unique special moves in each one. Old Zeku seems like a Nash/Ibuki hybrid, but New Zeku seems to be more unique. It'll be interesting to see how easy he can transition between the two and/or if one is significantly better than the other.

No only did a Birdie player win Capcom Cup(!), we also have season 3 characters incoming: https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2017...revealed-blanka-cody-mayor-g-sagat-and-falke/

AND we finally have a Street Fighter Collection that includes all of the variations of SF2, Alpha, and 3 in one bundle. There is even going to be online play for Hyper Fighting, Super Turbo, Alpha 3, and Third Strike. https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2017...th-anniversary-collection-announced-may-2018/

Pretty big day for the Street Fighter series.

Fuck yeah! I've been hitting training mode a lot and playing more. Now that Sakura is coming i'm super hype! I'm very glad that blanka and Sagat got added as well. This is what SF5 should have been on release.

If you look at the different iterations of Street Fighter, they've all launched with a pretty limited number of characters. 5's just a weird animal because they've trickled the new characters out rather than releasing them en masse with Super/Ultra/Hyper versions of the game. That and we're coming off of Ultra SF4's absolutely massive cast of characters. If they tossed in another 5-6 characters it would have had every character from the whole series. It's tough to start over after that, and at this pace we won't have a cast that size for another 4 years. I don't think SF5 will be sustainable for more than another 2 years. It's just too straightforward and fundamental. In the grand scheme of things, it's like SF3 without the depth created by parrying.

https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2018/jan/16/street-fighter-5-arcade-edition-now-available/

SF5 Arcade Edition and Sakura/Season 3 are now live. The download kicked in on Steam this morning, but it wouldn't let me get past the intro screen.
Should be interesting. Some of the new V-Triggers seem better than others, but players are discovering some unusual properties to them. There are also some additional tweaks not previously mentioned like Ryu's longer low MK. Whiffed command grabs got absolutely crushed by the Nerf hammer, so I have a feeling my Zangief might suffer.

EDIT: While he was nerfed quite a bit, Zangief's new V-Trigger can lead to insane damage. It also seems to inspire quite a bit of fear as a result. They need to let you re-choose your V-Trigger even in the event of a rematch. Some are better for different playstyles and match-ups.

Last edited:
Anyone else give this a shot? It's basically what the game should have been at launch. Not even because of the new characters. It just finally feels like the game has a little polish to it. Better music, more modes, quicker load times, additional content, etc. Capcom can probably stop trying to fix the underlying issues with 5 and work on balancing the characters and mechanics now. Hopefully additional supers are incoming at some point.

I've been playing - I'm a pretty casual player in general. I am glad to see more of the single player "Arcade" mode content, but I admit I'd like to see greater amounts of Story content for each character and additional chapters for the "Main" story at some point soon. The new content is nice to see, but like you mention it seems like V is finally getting to the place IV was after a bit - I really liked how in IV you not only had a ton of characters, but 2 or more supers/critical arts per character; hope they add that to V as well. There are a lot of characters I've like to see from previous installments (Some are mentioned in the Story like Oro, others are actually present and CPU controlled like all of the other Shadoloo Dolls, still others are hinted at like Gill etc), but I'm a bit annoyed at the cost and perhaps rate at which they're being introduced - essentially 6 per year, at around $30. I'd like to see around twice as many characters released per year to feel it was more worth it.

Lots of people seem to be a bit annoyed with the monetization, where there are so many stages and costumes that have to be purchased, many with real money only, and they are NOT even part of a bundle or anything discounted. I've seen some individual costumes cost $5 or so which is a bit excessive. Sure you can get the characters themselves with earned "Fight Money", but you can only unlock their "story mode" costume with additional fight money - everything else, including Nostalgia/Classic costumes, costs real $. Buying a Season at least unlocks the characters and their paid Battle costume, as well as colors 3-10 for them. Over half the available stages need to be unlocked with real or fight money and are nearly as expensive as characters! It would be nice if everything was available for Fight Money, or at least if there were discounted packs to be sold on Steam and whatnot, not to mention lower pricing overall. One of the main changes with AE is a rework of ways to earn Fight Money; I'm not sure if it is better or worse in the end, but those better versed than I seem to feel they could have added the new features without taking away the old.

I did pick up Season 3 because I used the GreenManGaming BLUE25 code (valid at time of writing) which is 25% off ALL PC GAMES (including new releases, pre-orders etc), which got it down significantly. If you think you might do the same, I encourage you to buy it now before the end of January - if you do so, (confirmed if you buy from GMG for that matter, not just Steam directly) you will get 4 extra costumes that are some of the more expensive ones, including the 30th Anniversary garb for Karin (a kimono) and Guile (his dress uniform), Ibuki (a kimono), and Bison (A flashy dress, evil overlord uniform), plus Nostalgia costumes for Alex, Ibuki, Juri, Kolin, and Akuma! All of this is in addition to Season 3 characters (Sakura, Blanka, Falke, Cody, G , Sagat) with a Battle costume for each, plus colors 3-10 unlocked for standard+battle costumes. Only Sakura is available currently and she's actually on a free trial of sorts for everyone.

Oh, and one of the new features of this patch are the "Extra Battles" (under missions or challenges) which are time limited special engagements with rewards. Most of them have a Fight Money entry fee but at least so far, its low. At time of writing, one of them is against a Rashid that has a "Viewtiful Joe" costume on - if you beat him you have a chance (along with XP etc) to get a "Wind Gem" which looks like the icon with boots within it. From what capcom hjas mentioned, basically for the next 4 weeks they will change it up so this week you have to beat him and you get the Boots, next time it will award a gem for the Glove, after that the Pants, then the Shirt etc... and if you collect all 4 gems you'll unlock the entire Viewtiful Joe costume for Rashid! It costs 2500 Fight Money to try and fight him so far, but its pretty easy to do. However, there is also one other Extra Battle that (at time of writing) is only going on for 2 days longer - a battle against Shin Akuma! It costs 1000 FM per attempt, but if you defeat him you get a special "Devouring Demon" Title! However, he's really really tough (more difficult than max-difficulty AI I'm told) and basically reads inputs etc... as well as being an enhanced version of Akuma where every attack causes chip damage, his Raging Demon does 70% damage (and he starts with a full combo bar!), and he generally hits faster and harder than normal. His model is a version of Akuma's Nostalgia/classic skin, with white hair + the "Heaven"(I think) character written on his beads, and he gives off a red aura. He IS possible to defeat but I'd go read up on it if you're not a really proficient player - basically, you need to pick someone who can reflect projectiles with ease and cheese the hell out of him with reflects and jump-in attacks, before going back to range. I used Menat for her easy reflect. Still, you can win without her - just be careful and have a way to deal with very, very fast fireballs and tons of them. I can only hope that Shin Akuma is made playable just for fun, and/or that Oni will appear as a character in V like he did in SFIV AE.

I'll be able to give this a whirl this weekend finally. I saw mine update, but I've been too busy to start it up all week. Looking forward to it.

I've played Shin Akuma twice and lost to him both times.

The first time was in SF2 Arcade Mode. He shows up just like he used to, only he's after M. Bison rather than instead of him. You used to have to get at least 3 perfect rounds and win with a super at least 3 times. Not sure if this one is that strict, but that worked. I beat him a round with Zangief, but he thumped me pretty hard the other two rounds. He does big damage, he's super fast, his fireballs knock down, he has double air fireballs, he's borderline psychic, and he starts with a full V-Trigger and Super.

I also tried him in the Extra Battle mode and was surprised to discover that it's only a single round! He landed his super on me after an air fireball and that was all she wrote. I took maybe 1/3 of his life with Zangief. Not sure I feel like gambling another 1000 battle points unless I use some different characters.

EVO Japan is going on right now: https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2018...a-kazunoko-tomo-saint-fenrich-tweek-and-more/

This is the first time we'll get to see what the new tweaks are like in the hands of high-level players. Last night I saw lots of Kolin and even a few FANG players doing rather well. At least 1/3 of the players are going with their characters' 2nd V-trigger, too. Can't say I've seen anything that zany yet, but the character choices are definitely more diverse than expected.

Blanka will be released today. Sagat is supposedly going to be the last of the DLC rollouts for season 3. I guess Capcom has been releasing characters based upon their fictional birthdays, so that apparently means Sagat will be coming out in July.

I'm a bit fed up with Season 3 already. Poor Zangief went from lower middle of the pack to one of the worst characters in the game. Blanka is always an awful match for him, too. If they don't have a mid-season overhaul like last year I have a feeling that Zangief, Vega, Alex, Nash, Ken, and Sakura are going to be M.I.A. pretty soon.

PSA: The Season 3 pass is $23 on GMG right now if you don't feel like racking up fight money. (I don't have time for that, so I picked it up...)

There are some new rumors going around that Season 4 will either include twice as many characters or they might be releasing some combo of Makoto, Necro, Oro, C. Viper, Sodom,Q, and a pair of new characters for free.

So far Season 3 has been interesting. Most players seem to feel that none of the characters thus far are anything beyond mediocre. That's both competitively and in terms of animation/variety. None of them have clicked for me. Balance-wise they straight up crippled poor Zangief, so I'm hoping that "G" is a grappler of some sort. I can't stand Abigail or Mika and Necali is just like a slower harder-hitting Cammy.

Capcom's silence has been pretty deafening as of late. We get Kage back in November and they haven't said a word since. Just more outfits and 2 stages...one of which is $10.
Both Final Round and EVO Japan went by with no news at all. Not really all that much attention from the community, either. Especially compared to Tekken 7, which is booming right now.
They claim they're "doing things differently this year," which clearly means not saying or releasing anything. If they don't reveal/release at least 4 new characters by June this might be the end of the road for SF5.
They could probably transition characters already in development to an eventual SF6 (or Alpha or whatever) release.

Capcom's silence has been pretty deafening as of late. We get Kage back in November and they haven't said a word since. Just more outfits and 2 stages...one of which is $10.
Both Final Round and EVO Japan went by with no news at all. Not really all that much attention from the community, either. Especially compared to Tekken 7, which is booming right now.
They claim they're "doing things differently this year," which clearly means not saying or releasing anything. If they don't reveal/release at least 4 new characters by June this might be the end of the road for SF5.
They could probably transition characters already in development to an eventual SF6 (or Alpha or whatever) release.
I would love a new Alpha game. They need to back off the mainline and start fresh at this point.

I would love a new Alpha game. They need to back off the mainline and start fresh at this point.

That's one of the rumors for the next game in the series. Tough to tell what kind of legs it might have now that most of the Alpha characters are in SF5, though. Still, things like air blocking, custom combos, multiple super levels (rather than EX), and lower damage make all the difference in gameplay.
The next few months will be telling. If they don't announce any more Season 4 characters by the middle of the year, they're clearly moving on from the game.

Rather than resurrect a thread from 8 years ago, I wanted to point this out for anyone who cares:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=649186874

SF x Tekken was never updated after GFWL went belly up. The PC version was also missing 5 PS4 exclusive characters and a bunch of costumes. These community patches actually add the PS4 exclusive content and implement non-GFWL online play. I always felt this game never got a fair shake thanks to Capcom's attempts to milk the community with pay-to-win gems and on-disk "DLC." The game itself goes on sale pretty often, so if you never played it, give it a go.

EVO has come and gone and we came away with a winner who used Karin and Sagat. In the top 8 we also had Rashid, Ibuki, Zangief, Laura, Necalli, and a pair of Zekus. That's a pretty amazing variety of characters for a game that inspires mixed feelings. We also have E. Honda, Lucia, and Poison entering the fray as of today.
Oddly, they didn't bother to re-balance anything else, though. While probably not necessary, there are a few lower tier characters that could use some help. Rashid could probably stand to be toned down a bit, too.

Ono claims there are major announcement coming in November and December. You have to assume one announcement will involve a couple more characters to finish up SF5's lifespan. Sodom, Oro, Viper, Abel, Makoto, and Rose are likely candidates.
If I was a betting man I'd wager that SF6 for the PS5/Xbox4 is the other announcement.

I'm thinking about starting to play this again. They just really pissed me off by adding the in-game ads for a game that I paid well over $100-150 for in real money. I think that's worn off a bit now. It's not like not playing it will change anything. I just had to go through my pissed-off-cycle. :D I'll probably grab the character pack, and give it a whirl sometime soon.

I messed around with the new characters and I like them. At first I thought Lucia was really lame based on her character reveal, but her gameplay is really unique. Her moves don't look very unique, but her playstyle is. She's somewhere between Guy, Ken, and Rashid, but different enough from all 3.
Poison reminds me of Old Zeku. She's definitely a zoning threat, but can close in super fast with her v-skill, too. Honda is all about 100-hands sequences. As a pad player who can't piano-press, I'm basically at an immediate handicap. He seems incredibly powerful, but literally everything revolves around the hands and being able to link those together. I was hoping they'd make him like Chun and make the hands a motion move. On the plus side for me, Zangief can flex/SPD both the torpedo and butt smash. That has long been a tough match that I feel pretty comfy with now.

https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2019/nov/17/street-fighter-5-champion-edition-announced/

So...this reeks of desperation. They're renaming Street Fighter 5 again. While it sounds like a new game, it's really just Season 5 and a new bundle that includes most of the existing content in a single package. They also announced Gill and made note that at least one more character is coming. Not really a shock considering they only gave us 4 characters for Season 4.
Everything about this just seems like a money grab unless whatever gameplay changes they make are huge. As of now it sounds like new V-skills are the largest part of that update. While nice, I don't really think that justifies a new name.
A lot of the community has bailed on SF5 at this point and I don't know if they're going to win people back. Tekken and MK are higher profile (and growing) and SF tournaments all look like reruns now.

I'd buy it to fill in a few gaps of things I didn't get before. But... I'm still a little put off by their ad shenanigans. ***grumbles*** I didn't pick up the last couple of SPs, and only grabbed a character or two, so it would round things out nicely. I just have to decide it I want to keep supporting them or not.

https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2019/nov/17/street-fighter-5-champion-edition-announced/

So...this reeks of desperation. They're renaming Street Fighter 5 again. While it sounds like a new game, it's really just Season 5 and a new bundle that includes most of the existing content in a single package. They also announced Gill and made note that at least one more character is coming. Not really a shock considering they only gave us 4 characters for Season 4.
Everything about this just seems like a money grab unless whatever gameplay changes they make are huge. As of now it sounds like new V-skills are the largest part of that update. While nice, I don't really think that justifies a new name.
A lot of the community has bailed on SF5 at this point and I don't know if they're going to win people back. Tekken and MK are higher profile (and growing) and SF tournaments all look like reruns now.

Sad, but I agree. I haven't played in some time.

I'd buy it to fill in a few gaps of things I didn't get before. But... I'm still a little put off by their ad shenanigans. ***grumbles*** I didn't pick up the last couple of SPs, and only grabbed a character or two, so it would round things out nicely. I just have to decide it I want to keep supporting them or not.

Yeah last time i played it went to a splash screen saying "supported by " and then listed a bunch of bullshit. I'm like mother fucker it's supported by the players who bought this bullshit day 1 when it wasn't even a complete game. SF5 from day 1 has reeked of a F2P unfinished game. Coming from SF4 it was a huge step backwards IMO.

Last edited:
SF4 was definitely the superior game and they did a much better job supporting it after release. SF5 was released as a full-priced game with a tiny cast and almost no features. If you add up the cost of all of the characters, the game costs most than all of the versions of SF4 combined. It has also gotten far fewer major updates. If you look at the shipping version of SF4 compared to the "Ultra" version, there are some pretty massive changes. Especially if you count "Omega Mode."
SF5's updates are more subtle and revolve around smaller balancing tweaks.
I'm guilty of still playing it, but it's really only just because I like this version of Zangief.

Truth be told I think SF x Tekken was the game I wish SF5 was. I feel like that game's failure forced them to make SF5 before it was truly ready. They made a lot of the same exact mistakes, but they pulled the plug on SF4 so people wouldn't be tempted to go back. With SF x Tekken, it was too easy to just drop it and go back to SF4.

its been like this since sf2 which had 7!! versions. and even back then it gave me the WTF face.

its been like this since sf2 which had 7!! versions. and even back then it gave me the WTF face.

5 is more of a return to that older era. The sequels in the Alpha, 3, and 4 games were pretty big.

Sadly, there are more than 7 version of SF2 now, too :p Capcom keeps going back to that well. They're up to 8 now if you count the Switch version with Evil Ryu and Violent Ken. Luckily in the 90's there were "only" 5.

Yeah last time i played it went to a splash screen saying "supported by " and then listed a bunch of bullshit. I'm like mother fucker it's supported by the players who bought this bullshit day 1 when it wasn't even a complete game. SF5 from day 1 has reeked of a F2P unfinished game. Coming from SF4 it was a huge step backwards IMO.

Exactly! I was quite happy to pay for it up front, knowing that it was kind of unfinished. I liked the way it looked and played, and knew that it would eventually be where it should be. Right when it started getting to that point (and coincidentally after I bought a ton of content for it) they implemented the bullshit advertising nonsense. I probably spent about $100 on the game. I don't feel like I should be subjected to even the IDEA of having ads in it. That's about when I decided to stop playing for a while.

I would even consider buying this "complete" version, IF they chopped that crap out. Even the optional parts, menu option, etc. Any notion of advertising.

SF5's updates are more subtle and revolve around smaller balancing tweaks.

They did add some significant parts to the game, the base game that shipped was held together with duct tape, did not even have an arcade mode. With these fighting games I have no intention at all to play random people on the internet, so not having an arcade mode to me was a huge ommision and it took them almost a year to add it.

Pure money grab and more of a work in progress then a finished game, one would almost think it was published by EA.

Back