Street Fighter V (Exclusive to PS4 and PC!)

There is no character select for "casual match". There is an option for character select via "battle lounge ".

I only play battle 1v1 battle lounges because I prefer longer sets and hate waiting.

I honestly love the favorite character functionality. I already know the character I want to use beforehand and get to skip the whole character select screen altogether. Saves me time to play more games.

It also allows me to focus more on the match up rather than having to deal with a new character every match. It's really annoying to lose and the opponent just switches chars. Might just be me though.

I like to switch characters and I don't really mind if anyone else does. It isn't like 90% of the people are playing Nash, Ryu, (and now Guile) anyway.
I'm kinda sick of playing nothing but Zangief. In SF4 I could play 1/2 the cast in a non-embarrassing way just because I could switch off at will. I haven't messed with the Battle Lounge thing, but I guess I need to.
I'm just interested in playing casual matches as quickly and easily as possible.

Battle lounge is pretty much exactly how lobbies were in sf4, just with more options. You should check it out, I think it's exactly what you're looking for.

The only thing good about casual match is you can filter the connection.

If you want a story mode, I'd probably wait until the end of July. If you're fine with local and online multiplayer, a good training room, and some challenge modes, you can get it now.

I personally love it in its current iteration because i could care less about story mode. All I need is training room and online.

Never had any issues with PC vs. PS4 matches. Overall, I think online play in SF5 is terrific. It isn't perfect, but it's as good as any other fighting game. Except maybe Tekken Dark Resurrection. For the first (real) online fighting game, that one always felt great.

The choice to add Ibuki is a little odd, but the design seems neat. Ibuki/Zangief was always a chaotic encounter in #4. Either one or the other got totally blown up.
For all of the weird clamoring over Juri and Ibuki (and Karin before), it doesn't feel like many people actually play any of them.
I haven't played Balrog since the SF2 days, but I'm somewhat interested in him this time. I think his style of offense really fits in with this game. With all of the mid range normals, his rushes should really change the dynamic. Like Zangief's standing fierce, but faster.

With the current release schedule for DLC characters, they still have to get through Ibuki (now delayed a month), Balrog, Urien, and Juri. They're also supposedly committed to rebalancing the game once per year as well. I have little doubt we'll eventually see characters like Akuma, Blanka, and probably some more SF3 characters. However that will take years.
Street Fighter 4 hit in 2008 and the final version of that game didn't come out until the end of 2014.

I'm not sure this game engine can have the longevity of that one without a little bit of an overhaul, so it'll be interesting to see what their year-end patch does.

As-is, the game lacks mystique. In watching EVO for SF4, I feel extremely confident that there is no way I could ever execute like 95% of the top 64. However with this one I'm able to replicate the majority of what the top players are doing. It's very dialed back. The tech is subtle at best. What you see is what's happening. There isn't anything Infiltration is doing that others can't - he's just doing it smarter.
Not saying it's bad, but that back-to-basics approach is going to be really stale by 2017-18, let alone 2022.

I guess I'll wait till Akuma is in. So if you get this game now you went need to get the ultra version 5 years from now right?

I guess I'll wait till Akuma is in. So if you get this game now you went need to get the ultra version 5 years from now right?

Actually, no. Capcom plans to just have this one version with yearly updates and balance changes. You'll probably have to buy Akuma though, with real money or the in game currency

If you look at the SF4 versions, "Super" was a stand-alone, but all the others were just large patches. Even Super didn't have to be. All of the old games, too. There was no DLC/patching option prior to SF4, so they pretty much had to make new revisions for the home systems.
Based upon what we've seen so far, they seem to be emulating KI. I can see that continuing. Everyone will have the same executable SF5, but you'll only have access to what you paid for or unlocked. It keeps everyone from feeling like their version isn't worthless and even entices you to pay more. They show you what you could possibly have for an additional few bucks at every turn.
With all of the bad feedback the game got, I'm starting to think all of the first round of DLC characters will be free. There's no way it takes this long to get a store up and running. I think this is them being nice.
I bet the 2nd round will be mercilessly expensive, though.

They claim story mode is still on track for July. At first I didn't really care, but the game feels pretty devoid without it.

This game really disappointed me, it's lacking a lot of basic features and I'm not sure I even like the base gameplay as much as SF IV.

This game really disappointed me, it's lacking a lot of basic features and I'm not sure I even like the base gameplay as much as SF IV.

This has been discussed quite a bit. (not telling you not to bring it up, but there's some good information earlier in the thread is all) It sounds like they wanted to get the basics in place, and release that in time for some big tournament that was happening at the time. Then release the rest in chunks. I think it's fine, as I can still play it when I feel like it, and it works perfectly. I agree that it's a bit disappointing not to be able to play all the characters that I like right off the bat, or plow through a larger story-mode, but what is there works very well and the rest is coming. I hop in and play a match or two about once a month right now, just to see what's new. I'll be playing it a hell of a lot more when the bulk of the content is all there.

I still play it a fair amount, but I don't think the underlying gameplay has the legs that SF4 did. I was never a huge fan of the focus attack mechanic, but it gave life to a combo system that went a long way. The multitudes of link attacks that people eventually perfected did, too. In SF5, that depth isn't there. What you see is what you get. There aren't any insanely tough links. They either work or they don't. The normal attack combos are just dial-a-combo style like Mortal Kombat. Characters have 1 super with 1 use. The V-stuff is just a normal attack mapped to the middle buttons to be unique.

With the DLC characters, you can see that they're trying their best to add pizzazz (like Guile's long-ass sonic boom loops), so you can see that they're starting to realize this.

Things haven't gotten stale yet (it has only been 4 months), but when is the last time you saw something unique or exciting? I'm of the opinion that the year 1 update probably needs to be pretty big. Maybe not "Super SF5" big, but at least halfway there.

Well this is good news that if we buy now we can get all characters for free in the future. I'm sick of dlc and I hope capcom didn't ruin this series like they did mega man..btw what are the best pc fighting games currently?

Well this is good news that if we buy now we can get all characters for free in the future. I'm sick of dlc and I hope capcom didn't ruin this series like they did mega man..btw what are the best pc fighting games currently?

For PC fighting, I play SFIV Ultra, SFV, DOA5, Nidhogg, Black and White Samurai. Otherwise I play some old favorites in MAME (Samurai Showdown, Last Blade, SF2-SF3+Alphas, KoF, etc.)

SF4 is probably the gold standard. I use Final Burn Alpha as a good emulator front-end that's designed with Capcom's arcade games in mind.

So should I buy sfiv instead of v? I was looking forward to playing pc vs my ps4 friends

While sf4 is still a good game, I would buy sf5. Despite all the negativity it has, it really is a good fighting game underneath it all. It is definitely simpler than 4, but that doesn't mean its a bad game. There is still high level play, just more focus on your play rather than execution.

I also like the online play better than sf4. Playing with your friends on ps4 should be no problem.

In the end, if you don't like it, you can get sf4 on a steam sale or something.

Well I would honestly want the newest but there is allot still missing..I actually rented it for ps4 and it seemed to play really well but I'm a pc guy so I'm hoping it's better on pc.

The PS4 and PC versions of SF5 are borderline identical. Load times are better on the PC (but still not great), graphics are a tiny bit better, and you can run at a higher resolution. Otherwise, it's the same. Having tried the game out in 4K, it's better, but not exactly light years better.
Still, if you have the choice - the PC version is the way to go.

The PS4 and PC versions of SF5 are borderline identical. Load times are better on the PC (but still not great), graphics are a tiny bit better, and you can run at a higher resolution. Otherwise, it's the same. Having tried the game out in 4K, it's better, but not exactly light years better.
Still, if you have the choice - the PC version is the way to go.

Agreed. Also, there are more possible control options for the PC if your'e really into fighting games.

Awesome thanks for the heads up guys. I think I'll wait for the June update I hope Akuma is added soon... Should you buy pc version now or wait till it drops in price during a summer sale?

Honestly, there's no compelling reason that you have to own it right this second. The hardcores have already had it for months - another few months won't affect much as a casual player.
Based upon how the whole DLC system is going to work, I'd be on the lookout for a combo pack of the game and season pass. You can unlock everything in-game, but that might end up being pretty tedious depending on what you want.

Well I want to own it this summer at least. But if it will not be on sale then I'd rather buy it.

I ended up buying the PC version of SF4 for 1/2 off when it was still a fairly hot commodity. Capcom has a pretty good record with allowing their games on Steam sales. I have a feeling it'll be at least 20% off at some point this summer.

Thanks for the heads up Domingo. However when do the summer sales usually start? I don't want to wait till summer is over I'm getting the sf itch and summer is when I have more time to game

Thanks for the heads up Domingo. However when do the summer sales usually start? I don't want to wait till summer is over I'm getting the sf itch and summer is when I have more time to game

Looks like the next one is June 23rd. Based upon current estimates, that's right around the same time the June update to the game should be rolling out.

Greenmangaming also has 20% off codes going on pretty regularly if you want to jump on that

I ended up buying the PC version of SF4 for 1/2 off when it was still a fairly hot commodity. Capcom has a pretty good record with allowing their games on Steam sales. I have a feeling it'll be at least 20% off at some point this summer.

Knowing Capcom they will release the Story Mode and consider it new content worth charging $60 for. ;) I wouldn't mind getting the game for $30 though if it were to go on sale during the Summer Sale.

Back