Street Fighter V (Exclusive to PS4 and PC!)

How fucking pathetic is it that a developer can't even make a complete fighting game? This isn't an MMORPG.

How fucking pathetic is it that a developer can't even make a complete fighting game? This isn't an MMORPG.

To add insult to injury, no one that I know of can even play online right now. They've been plagued with server issues all fucking day. This is 2016's Arkham Asylum.

Huh, I gave in and bought it, and I absolutely love it so far. Definitely some limitations that I'm waiting for them to get to, but like I said, I don't play online. Only with friends. My daughters and I played for a couple of hours, and it's spot on as far as I'm concerned.

Hopefully they'll work out those server issues. It's day one. There aren't a lot of multiplayer games that get released without some network issues on day one. Also, comparing with an MMORPG is silly in multiple ways. The netcode in those doesn't have to be anywhere near as tight as a fighting game.

My thoughts so far. It kind of loosely reminds me of how Street Fighter 3 is to Street Fighter 2 both visually, and play-wise. It's not a perfect analogy, but it'll do. Five has much more fluid animation, but feels a little slower. (maybe more frames per movement or something like that like SF3 had.) The moves feel a little different, the character styles are more exaggerated (take F.A.N.G for example. Big, lanky, character with very exaggerated movements.)

The visuals are incredibly nice. I've got everything cranked up all the way except lowered AA a touch, and it's smooth and beautiful. Backdrops are gorgeous, characters are excellent, effects and lighting is big and flashy.

Based on what I'm currently able to play, and the characters I have access to, I prefer it to all of the SF4 revisions. Obviously I want more characters and locations, and I also hope they get online working for the people that play that way. It may be missing some things, and online play may need to be sorted out, but what I've played so far is pretty flawless. Now I just need to get some of my friends over to play with me, as my daughters are still developing their skills. Could use a bit more of a challenge, and maybe a splash of whiskey. :D

Anyway, if you're on the fence due to Steam reviews, I'd say grab it. If you absolutely require online play because that's what you do, maybe hold off for a bit until they get it sorted. If you don't use XInput controllers, hold off until they get all that implemented. Just be sure of what's included, and what you need before you buy it, and I don't think you can go wrong really.

I think they are completely on the right track. (as long as they follow through)

I was pissed when I initially started the game. FIRST it wanted me to accept terms/conditions but it wouldn't just accept the Enter key, I had to browse the Steam discussions to find out that it wanted the "B" key, then it immediately threw me into a tutorial (NO TITLE SCREEN!). The real issue was that I had a 360 gamepad AND a Hori Real Arcade Pro VX-SA arcade stick plugged into my computer and I was mashing buttons on the Hori stick that were not responding; I also mashed a buncha buttons on the keyboard, apparently missing the "B" button the whole time. I disconnected the 360 gamepad and then had control via the Hori stick. Just getting to the title screen, where the config options are, was an effing chore. It might be OK on a console, but don't EVER start a PC game without letting the user first configure settings and verify functionality.

Anyway, after finally figuring out how to get to the 'title' screen, I was able to get configured (the Hori VX-SA uses type-C controls) and I was able to get going. Of course, the game depends on network functionality to run properly and that is screwed up at the moment, I think I'm just going to drop this for a bit and play some other games.

Was there a specific reason why Capcom released this game now? It's clearly no where near finished.

Played 6 ranked matches this morning. Flawless latency. Felt really good.

As a pure vs. fighting game it essentially IS finished. They catch is that nothing else is. The servers finally came back on last night and I played 6 matches with no issues. Roughly an even 50/50 mix of PC and PS4 opponents.
Based on their trickle content out model, I kinda wish they did go with the F2P model or at least a $30 pricetag. The idea of waiting for the cheap/final one only applies if you don't plan to play online much. The people that waited for the final version of SF4 to play never caught up.

Was there a specific reason why Capcom released this game now? It's clearly no where near finished.

I've read a few things about this. The one that makes the most sense is that they were getting a bit of pressure to get the base game out in time for some upcoming tournament. Then get the rest in shortly afterward. I think that's a fairly sound theory anyway. What they did release is pretty close to perfect. It's about as concise as it gets, and as Domingo said above it IS finished from a PURE fighting game standpoint. Basically what you get right now, is exactly the type of fighting game that you would get if you walked into an Arcade in the 90s, plus online play, and a few other extras, short story modes, etc.

I'm more of a home player, local multiplayer player, etc. So I'm really excited to get more characters, locations, costumes (within reason... :D ) etc. However, I'm very happy to play what it is in the meantime. I don't find it lacking in any way, just very trim. So any additions that come along, are going to make it a better game, not just make it a game.

It's very good, and it's a nice change of pace from SF4/SSF4/USF4/USDSSF4+++. :D

I'd like to see Akuma, Juri, Fei Long, Gen, Rose, and a few others on the selection screen. That would make me happy.

I am enjoying Laura and F.A.N.G. quite a bit, and Ken's got a few nice move updates that I've been enjoying. His spinning kick has a little arc on it now, which is kinda handy for example.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a feeling that after this first batch of DLC character we'll probably see some more returning fighters from SF3 and SF4. I'd be shocked if the game didn't end up with at least 30 characters in total before it's all said and done.
I'd imagine that Azam will likely be a playable character at some point. Oro seems likely, too. Both are heavily tied in to the story mode.
I wouldn't be shocked if Akuma is already in the game (or snuck into one of the free DLCs), but is just buried a little. That has been implied before.

Yeah, there are quite a few characters in the story modes that are in my list of wanted characters. Hopefully they all make it in.

I'm afraid that for the full price of $60 or worse, $90 (I do consider the announced characters in the "Season Pass" part of the core game. Especially as how barebones that SFV has been released thus far, I would expect these to be released monthly in free updates, not $30+ for pure characters alone. The NEXT group of updates a la Super, Ultra, EX, AE etc... with new characters + content and more is what I'd consider an expansion/season pass), it seems disappointing to see SFV released this way. I want to support Capcom when they deliver the announced Linux/SteamOS support, as well as the idea that SFV will be updated with expansions, as opposed to having to buy future game versions., but I am disappointed at the current start. Consider titles such as the BlazBlue series, which offer a ton of fantastic modes for training, mission, arcade, and deep, fully voiced story modes for each character and SFV pales in comparison for such a high profile title at a high price. I'll continue to watch its development, but this seems an inauspicious start for the new series.

All of the versions of SF4 shipped with tons of modes/characters, etc.
I'm 100% convinced the game was created with F2P in mind and they were too far down that road to make a 180.

I do agree that the game seems to be lacking, but I could not care less about story cut scenes, I mostly want to play through "story" mode (SINGLE PLAYER AGAINST COMPUTER) just to learn how to play, that's what we did back in the SF2 days! You played through the single player to learn the moves, beat the boss, got your ending, took it to the arcade and played against people.

Where can I configure the keyboard. Wtf?
Welcome to the Unreal Engine! I used to play with a non-WASD config (FPS games, not Street Fighter) and I finally just gave in and learned to use WASD because certain games, particularly those built on the Unreal Engine, seemed to really SUCK at letting me reconfigure my keys. I've known that SF5 was going to use Unreal Engine, and when I saw that they didn't yet have key rebinding available, I was not surprised and I even laughed knowing how difficult this issue must be for them. Fortunately, I use an arcade stick for fighting games and it is recognized by SF5 so I'm not upset about the lack of keyboard configuration.

The problem that I've noticed with UE is that certain keys seem to be hard-set, even if you reconfigure the keys, it will essentially bind two commands to one key. For example, if "A" pauses the game but you want to use "A" for weak punch, you would get a weak punch and the game would simultaneously pause because F you. This drove me to "EFF IT I'LL LEARN HOW TO USE THE DEFAULT WASD LAYOUT!@#$!"

I have a feeling that after this first batch of DLC character we'll probably see some more returning fighters from SF3 and SF4. I'd be shocked if the game didn't end up with at least 30 characters in total before it's all said and done.

You mean 4 versions later, after they release Street Fighter V Ultra Bukkake Mode.

I read in a post from Capcom that the next patch will have advanced pad support, full keyboard remapping, and the ability to change resolutions without toggling through all of them. It's ridiculous that wasn't a day 1 thing, but at least they're aware and planning a solution.

Online-wise, I've been very happy with the game. That's really the heart of what SF is all about, and I think it's as smooth as any online fighting game I've played. Prior to this it was probably Tekken Dark Resurrection. No clue if the game mechnics will have lasting appeal, but the netcode is excellent.

As I kinda figured, online is almost all Ryu, Ken, and Chun Li, though. Even in the betas I think I've only seen Dhalsim once. So far in the final, I have yet to see a Dhlasim, FANG, or Laura.

I held off on this game because I usually play against the computer A.I.. No friends here that enjoy fighting games and I usually don't play online. With that said I will definitely grab a copy when the single player is implemented properly.

Blergh, my MadCatz TE1 stick doesn't work for SFV. Hopefully they'll release a patch or something soon to fix it.

Been messing around on a controller a little bit but I can't find any character I like. Zangief just feels a little boring without his banishing hand move now, imo. I might just have to wait for the DLC to try out my old favorites in Balrog and Guile. Hopefully something will take.

Blergh, my MadCatz TE1 stick doesn't work for SFV. Hopefully they'll release a patch or something soon to fix it.

Been messing around on a controller a little bit but I can't find any character I like. Zangief just feels a little boring without his banishing hand move now, imo. I might just have to wait for the DLC to try out my old favorites in Balrog and Guile. Hopefully something will take.

In my opinion you sort of have to buy it if you are a street fighter fan because if it does not sell well you will never see another street fighter game on PC. See Mortal Kombat X. I am sure they will patch in all that stuff. In my mind the important thing are the graphics and the core fighting mechanics which is what Street Fighter has always been about. I think the season pass is egregious as $60 is already steep for this type of game.

Oh and they are giving us cross platform play which is huge as it ensures a substantial community online. That technical achievement somewhat offsets some of the other issues, which I am sure they will address.

While he seems extremely similar, Zangief is actually really different in this game. The air SPD, long-range fierce punch, and new headbutt really put people on lockdown once they get pushed into a corner. Mixed in with SPDs and EX bear grabs, he controls that space very well this time. It's funny how often people back themselves into no man's land intentionally.
At the same time, the lariat kinda sucks this time, so his combo opportunities are limited when opponents are crouching. It's mostly just a couple of quick/weak attacks like T. Hawk used to rely on.
Combo'ing into that super, though...that's pretty devastating. If Zangief gets you dizzy, you're going to die.

Worth mentioning - if your purse strings are tight, the DLC character can be unlocked with in game currency. You can grind survival mode to get more. Even spending the 15 minutes it takes to blow through story mode for everyone nets you enough for Alex at no charge.

In my opinion you sort of have to buy it if you are a street fighter fan because if it does not sell well you will never see another street fighter game on PC. See Mortal Kombat X. I am sure they will patch in all that stuff. In my mind the important thing are the graphics and the core fighting mechanics which is what Street Fighter has always been about. I think the season pass is egregious as $60 is already steep for this type of game.

I agree. I actually bought both, just to make sure they keep it going. I would absolutely hate to see it leave the PC. What they've released so far is very solid, and I'm very happy with it. I just want to see peoples' issues get worked out, and start seeing some extra content roll in. I've had zero issues so far. I just want more characters. I do think we're in less danger of losing SF like MK though. Capcom has always had more of a presence on the PC, and even though they seemed to lose sight of that a few times, they always came back better than before. I agree about the Season Pass pricing (even though I did pick it up.) I'm just hoping that there will be more rolled into than just what they've announced.

Hopefully I'll have some time to play tonight. I was really getting into it the other night, but it got late. :D I'm also juggling it with SOMA right now.

Hopefully those mods don't lead to any kind of ban/matchmaking issues. This cross-play thing is still in its infancy.

Got in some more time with this last night, and still loving it. Started waltzing through the remaining "short-story" modes. I was only playing my favorites, but decided to clear them all out. I did notice some of the Zangief subtleties mentioned above. Haven't tried on a human yet :D but I have a feeling you could pretty well lock someone down indefinitely.

Akuma and Juri please damnit!!! (yes, I know Akuma's not on the immediate horizon... :mad: ) Ken's filling in pretty well. He was always my favorite until I put an inordinate amount of time into Akuma anyway.

Zangief is the only character I've played against humans and I've noticed that people really struggle with him plodding forward. Because his dash is quicker, his fierce punch is so long, and he has a parry, it opens his ability to jump. Once you push someone toward the corner, just jumping straight up is a hell of a great tool. The air SPD will snag them if they try to jump out, and his jumping MK angles downward enough to snuff most normals. Once they're afraid to jump - the SPD and EX bear grab are there. It's simplistic (and doesn't work vs. everyone), but it's surprisingly effective.
The old strategy of running away from Zangief simply doesn't work the same way. Ryu can still pelt him with fireballs with the right range, but simply backing up puts most of the cast in extreme danger.
That said, his lariat now suuuucks outside of combos. It doesn't anti-air well, it misses a lot, you can throw him out of it, and it starts too slow to force people off you too. I think the best way to go after 'Gief this time is to come right at him and throw him like crazy. His only real defense for that is the risky EX SPD.

I think the best way to go after 'Gief this time is to come right at him and throw him like crazy. His only real defense for that is the risky EX SPD.

Laura works well for this. You can get in close fairly easily, and then toss him, zap him, etc. Also her spinning kick can help get her close enough in the first place.

Laura works well for this. You can get in close fairly easily, and then toss him, zap him, etc. Also her spinning kick can help get her close enough in the first place.

I have yet to encounter a Laura in the final version of the game, but she was full-on kryptonite to Zangief in the beta. I'm not sure what button it is, but she has a jumping kick that he simply has no answer for. I tried d+HP, jab, different lariat timing, etc. It's also long-range enough that it out-ranges the air-SPD most of the time, too.
Her weak kicks all have lots of range and EX-SPD's no longer beat people mashing normal attacks. Once she was on me, I just had no answers.
I ended up swapping to Ryu because I got so fed up with her in the beta. His hurricane kick gives her a lot of problems, and (obviously) anti-airs are no issue for him.

Ha! Very similar experiences I think. I use Ken when my daughters pick Laura, and hurricane the hell out of them. Actually I do the kick, and follow it up with a close, connected shoryuken, and that takes a nice chunk off their health. They're getting pretty good, but I haven't tried this against a more seasoned player to know if it holds. Actually I'm not an absolute expert myself, but I've been playing since the early 90s, so I get around ok. Would still probably be handily mopped by online players though.

Haven't been able to connect to a single online game. Also the supers happen automatically and so early into the game for me? Thus far, this game is just horrendous.

Haven't been able to connect to a single online game. Also the supers happen automatically and so early into the game for me? Thus far, this game is just horrendous.

Hopefully the servers aren't down right now.

Not sure what you mean about the supers. They're more of a factor than SF4 (where useful EX moves made them rare) but you still have to build them up. Not too different from SF2 and 3. I think story mode starts you with a full meter, but normal matches don't work that way. You CAN use v-skills whenever you want, but you can't use the v-trigger until you build that meter all the way up.

As of yesterday I'm having horrible load times in all of the menus. I'm assuming it's server related as I have a SSD. Lots of black screens with the little loading icon spinning away for long periods of time. Previously this week (and in the betas) things were nearly instantaneous.

Anyone check out Daigo's Twitch channel last night? Here is the VOD from his first broadcast. Skip to the 30 min mark for the start of the stream.
Twitch

I finally jumped into a casual online match and I was pleased with the playability. I'd say that most of the time in SF4 PC, the online games were laggy, I blame people playing the game on slow PCs combined with poor connections. I liked being able to search for games of a 4-5 bar rating so that connectivity was good. It might have taken almost a minute, but I was then connected with a PS4 player and the gameplay was perfect.; smooth and no lag. I didn't even know how to select my player so I ended up with Ryu by default, thought I was going to get my ass handed to me but ended up destroying the person playing as Dhalsim.

I'd like to get back into Street Fighter so I'm even considering buying a physical guide book since learning from magazines worked for me in the '90s; I prefer to have a book to reference while I have the game running and then can practice combos. I know how to use Ryu/Ken/Akuma, but I need to learn to use more people because I feel like it gets boring and lame being a one trick pony.

Online play has generally been really good for me, although I've had lots of issues with games "not being reported to the server." I had some big wins that got totally nullified (a couple losses, too) by that on Saturday morning. Yesterday things seemed to smooth out. The long UI loading also seemed to be gone.
I'll be pretty honest, though. I'm just not sure this game will have long legs unless some crazy new tech is discovered. It just feels a little too basic. I appreciate that fundamentals matter, but it just feels like there might not be enough beyond them. Hopefully we'll see someone blow EVO wide open with something new and different. It would be a step backward if someone wins via playing 1990's fundamentals Ryu or something like that.

I'd imagine that Azam will likely be a playable character at some point. Oro seems likely, too. Both are heavily tied in to the story mode.
I wouldn't be shocked if Akuma is already in the game (or snuck into one of the free DLCs), but is just buried a little. That has been implied before.

I'm still keeping hope alive for C. Viper to come into SF V. That was my main and would love for her to come back. FFF action, baby!

Alex and Birdie were really the only characters I wanted to come back (along with Zangief) so I really can’t complain about character selection. I’m probably one of a only a dozen people who want T. Hawk and Hugo back, so I don’t expect to see them any time soon.

One thing I would be interested in is a no-charge/no-mash Honda. There’s no real reason versions of the 100-hands, headbutt, and smash can’t all be motion moves. That would actually make him more exciting and allow him to be more than just a wall.

Back