Street Fighter V (Exclusive to PS4 and PC!)

I've always been awful at fighting games but I'm hoping the supposedly easier input commands will allow me to take a serious crack at the genre this time around. I really hope Balrog makes the final cut since he's always been my favorite. Ken looks fun too but probably way too technically advanced considering how clumsy I find it to use a joystick.

I've always been awful at fighting games but I'm hoping the supposedly easier input commands will allow me to take a serious crack at the genre this time around. I really hope Balrog makes the final cut since he's always been my favorite. Ken looks fun too but probably way too technically advanced considering how clumsy I find it to use a joystick.

I feel you! The only fighting game I've ever been good at is Super Smash Bros, mostly because EVERY fighter has the exact same controls, and there are no button combos to remember. Once you know the basic commands, you can pick up new characters pretty fast, because there is no secret "Left Left Down Right HighKick LowPunch" combos to waste time perfecting.

This game looks really fun, though: if its good on PC I may give it a shot..

If not, there's always DiveKick...

You don't need to use a stick to play Street Fighter. Pads are more than fine and these days & lots of pros use 'em. The guy who won EVO last year plays on a PS1 controller. The only thing I'd caution you about is the 360's analog stick. It's actually works great, BUT it's tough to dash quickly with it. SF5 looks like it involves a lot of dashing this time, so it might not be the best option this time around. In SF4, enough of the cast had lousy dashes, so it didn't always matter.

I played the full version of this during NY Comic Con. People thought I was nuts when I told him that my character that I always use is Zangief. I beat a lot of people before losing to Mika.

The game seems to be the same speed as SF4 with the exception that some moves now deal more damage.

Zangief has been a strong character for a long time unless your opponent specializes in fighting him. He has some clear weaknesses (in all of the previous games), but fighting him is very different from fighting most other characters. You have to be ready to constantly jump or throw out an invincible reversal...both of which leave you wide open if you get baited.

Looks like the first PC network test beta should be live tomorrow. No clue how it's going to work (or even how the download will work on Steam), but I'm excited either way.

EDIT: Looks like the demo was pre-loaded yesterday. Since it's only a few character, it's tiny. Mine finished in like 30 seconds. Will be interesting to see how cross-platform works. I'm not a huge fan of any of the beta characters, but will probably play around with R. Mika a bit.

Last edited:
Fiddled around with the beta today too. The input commands do seem easier than I remember in previous games so that makes noobs like me happy. Is there a way to just do training mode against the CPU instead of being interrupted every minute by other players?

Been playing it a bit this morning with R. Mika. Not a huge fan of the characters you can choose from on the PC version so far. I've run into PS4 players who have the other people unlocked, which is kind of lame. I'd rather have Birdie than Mika, Vega, Necali, etc.
Played around with the visuals and I'm not seeing a huge bump from 1080p to 4K, but that's probably to be expected. I can't seem to get it to do 60fps at 4K either. I don't think their engine likes HDMI 2.0. In SF4 I had to toggle alt+enter a couple times to make it stick. In the beta it doesn't work. Since it's not final, I don't really care.
The game is definitely SF and definitely back to the roots of the series. I haven't really gotten used to V-triggers or any of that stuff yet. Mika's doesn't seem great anyway.

I suppose it is what it is. The game seems like it will be good, but this is a pretty rough beta. On the plus side, online play has been really smooth. That's obviously VERY important.

EDIT: Nevermind, looks like Karin was always there....go figure :p I do wish I had Birdie and Zangief more than Mika. Ken is still a holy terror online and the flaming dragon punch goes a long way. It's risky, but it beats a lot of pokes from longer than it probably should.
Getting some odd slowdowns in the background of with the beefeater band. It doesn't seem to affect the fighting, but the background definitely slows down to a crawl.
I'm also able to hit 60fps in 4K mode by turning the "Resolution Scaling" way down. It doesn't look much better than 1080p, but it does offer smoother edges on everything. Guess it actually takes a powerhouse of a PC to hit 4K/60fps without doing that!

Last edited:
Speak of the devil, they just unlocked Ryu, Nash, Chun Li, and Birdie too. Very cool.
I have to say that the online play has been pretty stellar thus far. No clue when I'm playing PS4 vs. PC players, but I'm left to assume the PS4 folks are the ones that are much higher ranked thanks to a big head start.
As weird as it is for me, I'm having the most fun with the characters I didn't expect. Ryu and Ken feel like they did in the old games. I sucked with them in SF4, but my timing from SF2 and Alpha seems to be back. The fireball cadence, the blockstrings, and general strategy makes me have fun with them again. I also like the new non-charge Vega. He's also a bit like his older counterpart.
Birdie feels a bit too defensive for my tastes.
I just played the #20 ranked player using Chun Li and got absolutely mauled. While not my kind of character, she seems to do huge damage with her wind kick. It no longer feels "hollow" and the whole sequence seems to hit now.

Been a fun time. I'm not 100% sure what to think of the game as a whole, but it feel like Street Fighter and it's different enough from 4 to rekindle my interest.

Welp, unsurprisingly Dhalsim was revealed to be the last of the launch characters. The final game will be released on 2/16.
Seems they plan to have 6 DLC characters within the first year. Current theories (based on PC code and silhouettes) are that those characters are probably Urien, Alex, Ibuki, Juri, Balrog, and Guile. So far there have been almost no surprises, so I have a feeling at least 4 of those will be accurate.

At this point, I'm just hoping the game has lasting appeal. Early opinions have said that the game is too simple, but people said literally the same things about SF3 and SF4 early on, too. I liked what I saw of it, even if it wasn't perfect.

Welp, unsurprisingly Dhalsim was revealed to be the last of the launch characters. The final game will be released on 2/16.
Seems they plan to have 6 DLC characters within the first year. Current theories (based on PC code and silhouettes) are that those characters are probably Urien, Alex, Ibuki, Juri, Balrog, and Guile. So far there have been almost no surprises, so I have a feeling at least 4 of those will be accurate.

At this point, I'm just hoping the game has lasting appeal. Early opinions have said that the game is too simple, but people said literally the same things about SF3 and SF4 early on, too. I liked what I saw of it, even if it wasn't perfect.

I dont know, this game looks more fun than SF4. And the play style looks right up my alley.

Anybody get in any time this weekend? I couldn't get any matches on Saturday, but it was working fine yesterday.
I'm having a good time.
Zangief is interesting. With no green hand, he definitely has to wade into things differently. That said, because normals do chip - it changes things a bit. His standing fierce has super armor and has the same range it had back in the Alpha days. It might be his single best move. The only knock on it is that f+fierce is a different move. That hurts the ability to walk forward with it. I kinda hope they make it a motion move using the green hand input.
His running grab is extremely powerful, especially the EX version. Combo'ing and being able to tic into his super is pretty insane. That said, it does feel like he's missing something. He's a great character, but maybe just a tiny bit too simplistic.

Laura's a neat character, and her jab and short attacks are phenomenal. She might not do a ton of damage, but it feels like she can just mash and beat out anything in her vicinity. She also has some mean tic throw mix ups. Not really my personal style of character, but I appreciate what they did.

The last beta is in the books - gotta say, I've been really happy with it. I don't really notice any differences in playing PS4 vs. PC people. I had a couple laggy matches, but I'd say they were less than 10-15%.
Game-wise, it is what it is at this point. I like it, but there are some things I roll my eyes at. So goes life, as none of the other games were without their flaws, too.
Crazy to think the real game will be here in 2 weeks. SFIV came out 8 years ago. Seems like just yesterday.

I just want (or maybe I don't) to know what those guys in the train are doing at 2:27. :D

HA! I never noticed that before. Good find. Kind of like some odd treatment one individual was getting on Blanka's stage in the old SF2.

Related to the graphics - the 1080p settings (even on max) aren't that much different from the console version of the game. The PC version really starts to look much better in higher resolutions, but it's pretty demanding for 4K. I have to turn the details down to 1/2 to keep 60fps.

I'm just impressed they are making a Linux build. Capcom, making a linux build... Pigs are flying

I'm just impressed they are making a Linux build. Capcom, making a linux build... Pigs are flying
I think most of Capcom's past tools were Windows-based and they were likely just not motivated enough to do Linux ports. I'm pretty sure that the reason SF5 is seeing a Linux port is because it was built on the Unreal Engine.

There are quite a bit of things that I dislike from SF5 so far, aside from focus dash, the ultra is gone...

Blanka is also gone... not sure why in the world would they do this.....

I'll more than likely be maining Necalli this time around (C. Viper for me in SF4/USF4). Maybe I'll check out Karin as well.

I've been using Zangief and Ryu, although I like Birdie and Ken, too. Necalli might be one I pick up later.
Laura is the bane of my existence. One of the main reasons I started using Ryu was just because Zangief has nothing for her at all. I have no idea what he's supposed to do in that match if she ever gets any distance on him.

I'm calling it quits. Been playing the beta and I just cannot find a single character I connect with. Ryu is neutered beyond belief. I'm gonna focus more on other hobbies. Yall have fun.

I actually kinda like Ryu in this one. In general, the game is focused on the characters being closer together this time. Most of the action takes place in normal move range, almost like Tekken and SF3. Unlike SF2 and SF4, where long-range zoning was common - like 2/3 of the cast has a tool for snuffing errant fireballs. You can still toss 'em, but you have to be closer and typically work them after block strings and other moves. It's how I always played Ryu and Ken, but in SF4 that really didn't work very well.

The community is still mixed about the game from what I've read, so I definitely understand not feeling this one. It doesn't feel like it has the long-term depth of 4 on the surface. That said, when 4 was released, people thought it was too simplistic, too. We'll have to see what kind of strategies and impacts v-skills, reversals, and triggers have over the long haul. Focus attacks (and cancels) ended up being a hell of a mechanic when it was all said and done. In fact, being able to cancel special attacks with them and execute ultras might be the single most overpowered thing in the game. At least for someone with nimble hands. SF5 has less crazy execution, at least for now.

It’s definitely more bare bones that I expected. Story mode is currently worthless. 2-3 ultra-easy matches and some still images? It’s also missing things like the challenge/trial mode where you try to execute increasingly difficult combo sequences. In fact, other than vs. play and training, there isn’t much.

As a competitive fighting game (which is what it’s trying to be at heart), I think it’s 100% solid.

I know they said there would never be a “Super SF5” or anything like that, but I think we all know there will be bundles sold with the DLC characters included. Especially once the game has been out for a while.
At that point you’re probably far enough behind the learning curve that picking it up = beatdowns for months, though.

Tough call. If you like playing the CPU or anything plot-related, this game is a steaming pile. If you just want to get online and rumble, it does that rather well.

For the cost of the game, they really do need to include more content, though. They rushed things out before story mode was finished and the DLC characters seem like a money grab.

Makes me wonder how much backlash there will actually be. Will Capcom claim they just wanted to get it in hands ASAP or did they simply release a game that wasn’t finished? I think it’s probably a little of both.

I think it will likely come down to the hardcores (Capcom is doing the right thing!) vs. casuals (No story mode, WTF?) with this one.

Performance-wise, there’s a low-power mode for people with old PC’s. Supposedly it works fine. The game’s supposed to be 60fps, just like the last one. I don’t see the issue there – things are frame specific. This isn’t a shooter.

I only play fighting games locally with friends, so I'm curious how it is for that. I occasionally play single player, but not for the "story". That's like reading certain magazines for the articles. :D

So, for my purposes, I imagine that it's ok, but I'll have to watch it for a bit, and then jump I think. If the local multiplayer is good, then it will be fine for my purposes. I'll hold off though until I get a bit more research in. I've followed it, but not closely enough to make that determination yet.

Edit: Just looked at some of those Steam reviews. Everyone is complaining about things that Capcom clearly stated are coming out next month. People should just learn to read, and do a bit of research. Looks like if you want it in a more complete state, buy it next month. From what I just read, they just put out the current build, so it was ready for some upcoming tournament. Maybe Capcom should have just classified it as Early Access, so there was no confusion for the non-readers among us.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the anger stems from the fact that the game was up for pre order for a while now yet they only recently announced what will be in the package. Despite being a fan, I do feel being let down by this as I expected much more. On the other hand, the game is in my hands and I am having a ton of fun. So I guess my mixed feelings go hand in hand with the mixed reviews the game is getting on Steam.

Still, it will be worth it in the long run. Already sensing the game mechanics being more fun than SF4 and easier to approach yet has significant depth to it.

Street Fighter V is a long, disappointing way from being finished

Think I might just wait for the complete version to be available, especially considering that Capcom has pulled the season pass bullcrap.

As it currently stands this is a game that's going to be supported for 3+ years with modes and characters being added through that time. All modes for the entirety of SFV will be free so I think people should just jump into the game whenever it has enough modes/content to satisfy whomever wants to buy it. Do you really want trials, challenges, and arcade? Well wait till sometime in March. Want a cinematic Story? Grab it in June. Want 20+ character lineup? Wait until they're released and perhaps a sale.

It's a lot better than their old model of releasing SFV Super Dooper Pooper Scooper within a year and having to buy a whole new game.

As it currently stands this is a game that's going to be supported for 3+ years with modes and characters being added through that time. All modes for the entirety of SFV will be free so I think people should just jump into the game whenever it has enough modes/content to satisfy whomever wants to buy it. Do you really want trials, challenges, and arcade? Well wait till sometime in March. Want a cinematic Story? Grab it in June. Want 20+ character lineup? Wait until they're released and perhaps a sale.

It's a lot better than their old model of releasing SFV Super Dooper Pooper Scooper within a year and having to buy a whole new game.

Agree completely. If it doesn't have all the content you want yet, (and they've said that it's coming) then wait until it's ready.

I think it's just part of a larger problem that PC gamers have dealt with for years. It has just now trickled down to consoles. The game is essentially incomplete right now and people bought a disk version of it got a game that isn't finished. It's the concept of getting it out the door and finishing it up later. Yes, those other features are "coming soon" but they're still not there now.
Your $60 for the game is (more or less) early access since the game isn't feature complete. It's only a few steps better than the betas which had 90% of these features months ago.
It's better than having a million different versions for $60, but the game is still SF5 ver. 0.70 as far as I'm concerned.

I think it's just part of a larger problem that PC gamers have dealt with for years. It has just now trickled down to consoles. The game is essentially incomplete right now and people bought a disk version of it got a game that isn't finished. It's the concept of getting it out the door and finishing it up later. Yes, those other features are "coming soon" but they're still not there now.
Your $60 for the game is (more or less) early access since the game isn't feature complete. It's only a few steps better than the betas which had 90% of these features months ago.
It's better than having a million different versions for $60, but the game is still SF5 ver. 0.70 as far as I'm concerned.

Good point. I agree for the most part. What they have going for them, is that they are being up front about what's happening. That doesn't quell disappointment, but at least they let people know, and people can decide when it's worth it for them to buy it. Another thing is it's Capcom. They don't have a spotless track record, but they are one of the more trust-worthy companies out there I think at the moment. A lot of their PC ports have been done pretty well in recent years, for me their games have worked reliably, and I don't really have much to complain about with much of what they're doing lately. I'm fairly certain I can count on them delivering what they're promising. (not like Tecmo for example...) They aren't perfect, (they have tended to nickel and dime people in the past with multiple game versions for example) but I think their new model for SFV is more or less sound, and if they need a bit more time to get the other pieces into shape, then that's ok with me. As long as what they provided now does what it's supposed to anyway.

I'd rather have a complete game upfront, and maybe they should have just called it Early Access. However, it seems like we'll be seeing much more of the modular gaming approach going forward. I don't necessarily like it, but I also don't think it's going away any time soon either. People are free to vote with their wallets, or vote by waiting for something more complete. Maybe if they see that sales were low, but went through the roof after the rest of the content was released, they'll think about this approach a bit.

It probably IS a bit of an experiment for Capcom to some degree. Early reports had the game as being free to play with things like DLC characters, extra game modes, stages, outfits, etc. being things you'd have to pay for. The community went nuts (a la Xbox One's "no used disks") , but I kinda wonder if this wasn't already VERY much underway. We essentially got that same modality, only with an up-front cost and season pass instead.

Even with all of the bad press, Capcom never did back off of the SFxTekken DLC character costs (or all of those overpriced skin packs), so I have no reason to think this will be different. I think it'll take a lot to make them back off of this model.

Anyway, disregarding ALL of that, it'll be interesting to see how the actual game is received. Pros had mixed reactions. You could tell which sponsors told their players to keep quiet...especially with no SF4 at EVO.
I like the game, but have no idea what the long-term interest will be.

I see a lot of complaints with the art style, but I think I like it better (just from what I've seen) than SF4. I'll know for sure once I buy it, but I do think I'm going to hold off until March now. I'm deep into SOMA at the moment, and don't have much other gaming time right now anyway. By the time I'm ready, more of it will be fleshed out. I do think it will do nicely for living room with friends and drinks play.

DIdn't bother me because I am happy to wait until each successive Dooper Pooper Scooper edition is on sale for $5.

Back