Street Fighter V (Exclusive to PS4 and PC!)

First, I did buy the game and season pass. I have more money than sense.

Second, my 360 TE fight stick works perfectly.

Third, last night I could not get online at all. Server issues.I'm typically willing to give a new game a few weeks or even a month to get up to speed, however. I have a life.

Fourth, when I have played, it is obvious this is the best Street Fighter yet in terms of raw mechanics. There is something about the way the game plays and the characters handle that is a step up from Street Fighter IV. I generally play Ken or Ryu, and they play great as expected. The graphics are a half step up, but really I am sort of shocked at how similar this looks to SFIV. The roster is smaller, which is not good, but I never even came close to tapping into the whole SFIV roster so for me it makes no difference. I expect some good characters will be added.

I like that there is more focus on fundamentals and good solid fighting skills. I feel more like I am back at the arcade from the old SF2 days, whereas SFIV felt out of my grasp.

I think what we have here is early access. This game is not finished. Whether that is ok or not depends on how quickly they remedy the situation and what they add. I have a feeling they are going to improve this game significantly. Anyone with a passing interest in Street Fighter is going to want to play this because it is the best playing Street Fighter yet and the combat is very exciting. However, I would wait a few more weeks before jumping in if you are going to be enraged by a game that just does not work at launch, because this one just doesn't work. I also think the DLC content and season pass nonsense is of course not good for players and their wallets, but perhaps that is the cost of admission to keep these types of games going.

This game cannot be properly reviewed at this time, but its going to be a blast. That is my opinion.

They yanked the servers down for a large chunk of yesterday. I managed to get 1 match before bed at around 10PM MST, but they were back down when I got up this morning.
This has been a steady problem since release day. Between not getting a match, the servers being down, or issues recording match results - online play is clearly 1/2 broken. When it actually works, it's quite nice, though.
At the same time, I think the game can be properly reviewed because it's being sold as a finished product. If there were any caveats to that, it didn't come from Capcom. Even if some additional features might be coming down the line - the game is still a $60 purchase with no early access label. PSN people that paid for online service just for this game (there are a fair number) are really getting jerked around.
They rushed the game out so that it could be ready for EVO, and it's coming back to bite 'em. This kind of bad PR takes time to recover from, if that's even possible. Not many games recover from the "wait a while to buy this" stigma. I bet they probably try to make it up by giving away outfits or something pointless, but they should probably give everyone the first 2-3 DLC characters sans any $ or in-game currency.

In terms of the game itself as a 1 vs. 1 fighting game, I'm okay with it. It feels a bit basic on the surface, but I don't know if that will last or if it's a problem. I can see them tinkering with the v-skills a bit. While some are game changing, others are just special moves with a different input (Cammy, Chun Li). I'd be shocked if we didn't see multiple supers and/or V-triggers for each character too.

Eh, they did launch on PC and PS4 but not XBOX so you have to give them some credit. I mean to scrap XBOX but launch on PC on day one? And they have cross platform play which we have never had before, so there is always going to be a steady stream of opponents. At the end of the day the issue is whether the game sucks you into endless mindless joystick waggling and button mashing and scratches the itch, and it certainty does. The rest will be remedied.

I can't quite understand why this was so technically challenging for them because the game is not that different from SFIV really, even graphically it is just another coat of paint.

By the way, I like Ken's new hurricane kick which gets up and over the opponent.

Just my opinion...but do we truly know it will be remedied? Assuming it likely will, do we know when and how? Obviously the PS4 version will be since it's the tournament-standard version, but there are lots of things on the PC that never get fixed.
There is a lot of blind faith by the community with this game. Early negative reactions were almost always dismissed because "it's just a beta!" Now that the final changed very little, the same people are telling people to wait 'til they fix the servers, wait 'til they add story mode, wait until the DLC character hit, etc.
At what point do we actually admit that Capcom did some things right, but really flubbed a whole lot too?
I think the instant the game went on sale for $60 as a final product they're 100% available to be criticized.

Right this instant, I think the game is only for the hardcores because there are so few modes and characters...and the online mode is 1/2 broken to boot. Yet, every second you hold off not buying it, there are dozens of players practicing and putting you further behind the 8-ball. You either buy now and have a 1/2 completed game, or you hold off and run the risk of never catching up.

Just my opinion...but do we truly know it will be remedied? Assuming it likely will, do we know when and how? Obviously the PS4 version will be since it's the tournament-standard version, but there are lots of things on the PC that never get fixed.
There is a lot of blind faith by the community with this game. Early negative reactions were almost always dismissed because "it's just a beta!" Now that the final changed very little, the same people are telling people to wait 'til they fix the servers, wait 'til they add story mode, wait until the DLC character hit, etc.
At what point do we actually admit that Capcom did some things right, but really flubbed a whole lot too?
I think the instant the game went on sale for $60 as a final product they're 100% available to be criticized.

Right this instant, I think the game is only for the hardcores because there are so few modes and characters...and the online mode is 1/2 broken to boot. Yet, every second you hold off not buying it, there are dozens of players practicing and putting you further behind the 8-ball. You either buy now and have a 1/2 completed game, or you hold off and run the risk of never catching up.

Capcom has a pretty good record with the PC. I think they will address it. Of course we don't know.

I preordered this on PS4 (I don't buy Capcom games on PC) and I'm a bit annoyed that it's so buggy, but I have at least been able to play it pretty consistently since the weekend. I have 100Mbps fibre to the home internet so I'm pretty sure my experience isn't typical. I didn't buy the season pass (because maybe 1 of the characters they're advertising interests me). I've bought every 2D Capcom fighting game since Marvel vs Capcom and I'm pretty disappointed with the state of Street Fighter V, it's annoying it shipped so unfinished. I do really like the mechanics of the game and I feel like I'm going to be playing it for the next few years regardless but it's annoying.

The character selection is really a matter of "why?" for me, most of the returning characters are not popular ones (except the obligatory Ryu, Ken, Chun Li and Zangief) and F.A.N.G. has just the worst character design I've ever seen. My favourite SFIV character Sakura is nowhere to be found, so I've decided I'm going to work on Karin and Nash for a change of pace. Interesting so far.

Capcom has a pretty good record with the PC. I think they will address it. Of course we don't know.

They definitely have done well lately. Anything past the Resident Evil 4, Devil May Cry 3 era has been well represented on the PC.
USF4 is the definitive one IMO. It got updated ahead of the consoles a couple times.
That said, Street Fighter X Tekken is still locked to GFWL and is borderline non-functional as a result.
Time will tell. Hopefully they'll at least get the servers back up and stable. If they can do that, that's 1/2 the battle.
Another thing I'd like to see is the ability to swap characters at will when lining up for casual matches. That seems logical, but it bases everything on your "favorites." By default, it should let you change anytime you want.

That's my biggest gripe with the game right now. How slow it is to go and choose characters other than your favourite.

I got a chance to play for a few minutes yesterday and found the matchmaking to be pretty quick. It also just happened to be on a day when I was playing terribly and I dropped a bunch of matches I shouldn't have. Of course on Sunday (when I was playing well) I got a bunch of communication errors.
On the gameplay side of things, I'm finding the frame data for certain characters, especially Bison and Nash, looks very deceiving. Moves that seem like they take forever lock you down and provide them follow ups that look like they wouldn't work. I'm finding that odd to adjust to. For instance, Charlie's medium punch can link into a few things...yet it definitely looks like it shouldn't. Bison's, too. Lots a normal links look laggy, but they put you in blockstun longer than it seems like they should. I've been getting clobbered by it, too.

I got a chance to play for a few minutes yesterday and found the matchmaking to be pretty quick. It also just happened to be on a day when I was playing terribly and I dropped a bunch of matches I shouldn't have. Of course on Sunday (when I was playing well) I got a bunch of communication errors.
On the gameplay side of things, I'm finding the frame data for certain characters, especially Bison and Nash, looks very deceiving. Moves that seem like they take forever lock you down and provide them follow ups that look like they wouldn't work. I'm finding that odd to adjust to. For instance, Charlie's medium punch can link into a few things...yet it definitely looks like it shouldn't. Bison's, too. Lots a normal links look laggy, but they put you in blockstun longer than it seems like they should. I've been getting clobbered by it, too.

Charlie is a bit deceiving. I've tried to use him a few times, because I always liked him in the Alpha games, but I just haven't been able to get used to him in SFV yet. I haven't been able to put my finger on most of it, but his movement definitely doesn't match what my brain is expecting of him. This is the opposite of Ken (another favorite of mine) who despite having some new spins on him, still moves exactly how I expect. The minor evolutions didn't impact Ken negatively for me. Still gelling pretty well with Laura too. So, between Ken and Laura I'm getting by pretty well. Just waiting for some of my other favorites to drop in/come back.

In playing against Charlie, it feels like that as long as he doesn't go ham with sonic booms, he's totally safe after doing almost anything. He has advantage after doing his moonsault, he can link his standing and crouching medium punches (and follow with his LK spin kick to push away), and he can mash jab like mad to beat grabs. He can beat jump-ins with 3 different normal attacks. In dealing with really passive Charlie, I honestly have no idea what to do as Zangief. He's safe after everything both offensive and defensive and it's not like I can mash uppercut to stop it.
I get the feeling that there's something to Zangief's v-skill (and v-trigger for that matter) that I'm missing. Otherwise, it's just a matter of Charlie (and Bison, and Laura) running away for long periods of time.

In the first major tournament (Winter Brawl), it seems like Nash, Bison, Ken, and Dhalsim were the dominant character choices. The fact that two long-time Dhalsim pros were involved might slant that a bit, though. Only one Zangief in the top 25, which is a little disheartening.
I did discover that he can headbutt (f+hard punch) fireballs to totally dissipate them without losing any health. That's probably going to help a lot with that awful Laura match-up.

Saw it on Kotaku.
http://kotaku.com/capcom-says-stree...m_source=Kotaku_Twitter&utm_medium=Socialflow

Alex is coming.
New Character Alex and SFV Update Details

• Challenge Mode
    • Demonstrations: Learn the ins and outs of Street Fighter Vthrough helpful demonstration and tutorial content. Contains content for each of the 16 characters, as well as advice geared towards players of all skill levels:
      • Beginner Tutorials: 12 lessons covering, movement, normal attacks, special attacks, V-System, throws, counter hits, chip/recoverable damage, etc.
      • Intermediate Tutorials: 11 lessons covering projectiles, invincibility frames, armor and armor break, recovery, cross-up attacks, anti-air options, etc.
      • Advanced Tutorials: 4 lessons covering back dashing, frame advantage/disadvantage, combo potential, button priority, etc.
      • Character Tutorials: 16 lessons covering each individual character.
    • Trials: Put your skills to the ultimate test with combo trials for all 16 characters, ranging from basic to pro combos. Completing Trials will also earn you some extra Fight Money.
  • In-Game Shop
    • Fight Money Expenditure: Spend your hard earned Fight Money to purchase extra game content, such as DLC characters and the Story Mode Costumes.
  • Online Rematch Option
    • Salty from a close loss online? Want revenge? Players can now play a 2/3 set in Ranked Match, provided both players accept the rematch.
  • Battle Lounge Improvements
    • Enjoy up to 8 person lobbies, complete with match spectating.
In addition to all of this new content, the following bugs will be fixed in the update:

• Bug: Sometimes you don’t get EXP from casual matches
  • Bug: On a rare occurrence, if you restart the game after you unlock colors, the colors you unlocked will disappear
There are a few gameplay related bug fixes and balance changes as well:

• Vega:
    • If you hit V-Trigger Bloody Kiss (anti-air) in certain situations, Vega will no longer continue to rise off the top of the screen.
  • M. Bison:
    • If M. Bison is interrupted by an opponent’s V-Trigger or Critical Art during his invisible frames of Double Knee Press in V-Trigger mode, M. Bison will no longer remain invisible until his next move.
  • Rashid:
    • Rashid will no longer float in the air for a moment if you perform his V-Trigger after he touches the ground upon a missed Eagle Spike.
  • Chun-Li:
    • During V-Trigger activation, the hit stop and block stop has been made the same for multi-hitting moves (medium or heavy attacks for both normal and special moves).
      • She was previously able to perform option selects involving standing HP into Houyokusen, so this has been removed.
  • Vertical and Back Jump Frames:
    • All characters except Birdie and Zangief: Vertical jump and back jump frames have changed from 3f->4f.
    • Birdie: Vertical jump and back jump frames have changed from 4f->5f.
    • Zangief: No changes to jump frames.
      • These changes reduce the effectiveness of throw tech option selects involving jumping (also known as “jump grab”). Changing forward jump frames would affect the game balance too much so those remain unchanged.
  • Throw Escape Change:
    • If you push buttons during the normal throw delayed tech window you are unable to escape throws for 2 frames.
      • Prevents using light attacks to option select with throw escapes.
    • If you execute specific special moves during the normal throw delayed tech window you are unable to immediately escape throws. Each characters V-skills, V-triggers, V-reversals, critical arts, and moves have been set individually.
      • Prevents throw escape option selects involving specific moves such as Shoryuken, etc.
All of these new SFV features and game improvements are planned to be ready later this month and we’ll share an exact date soon. More new content, including the Cinematic Story Mode, and game improvements are in the works and we’ll provide those specifics as soon as we can.

That’s all I have for now, but stay tuned to Capcom Unity for the latest SFV news. Until next time!

The March update includes most of the things I wanted. I don't really care much about an arcade mode (just a better way to play the CPU), but I really missed the challenge modes. I also like the ability to rematch people online. I think that's especially nice in casual mode where there are no points on the line and it was a good match.
If only they'd make the character selection screen the default option. That "favorite character" thing is stupid and should be optional instead of vice versa.
I'm not sure what to make of Alex based on what has been written (a lot will depend on how you actually do his moves), but I'm definitely going to give him a go. He wasn't great in 3S, but I liked playing him.

This game is great. The fighting is just better than SF4 and you do not have to be a pro to be competitive. Best street fighter even even before the big update. With agood arcade stick this game is bliss.

Is there any online community for this game. I almost never seem to find a match in my region. Wtf? Do I need to fix some ports nonsense?

I've never had any issues getting matches. I tend to just go into casual match and tell it to search with no restrictions. It's pretty rare that I have to wait more than a minute for a bout.
Most opponents tend to be in the same score range (I stopped at 1200'ish) but every now and then it'll pull a new player or someone who has like 3000 points.

It it true that the actual pre-match stuff is much slower. I assume it's a cross-play thing. I've noticed that every now and then I'll play another PC player and things are MUCH quicker. Like, I'll go from "Connecting" to playing almost immediately. It's roughly the same speed as with SF4. I've had some PS4 cross-play matches that were butter smooth but took like 2 minutes to get up and running.

The servers are down today for the first March update. Personally, I really want to try out the training mode. While practice mode is great for learning fundamentals, I love the finesse of the combo trials. Plus, it offers a little additional insight on what to actually strive for when you land a hit.

Nice, I've been busy with other games for a couple of weeks, but was starting to wonder if this had been released yet or not.

Trials are 100% live along with some of the minor balance changes and rematch options.
Compared to the trials in SF4, I'd say these are most definitely a bit simplistic. I went through Zangief's almost immediately. I got through the bulk several others (Ryu, Ken, Nash) quickly, too.
I guess that's just SF5 in general, though. Less complex and lower execution, but more strategic.

So, how badly will I get my ass kicked if I pick up this game?

Fight stick recommended or no?

If you've played the older games, you'll probably have fun with it. The controls and mechanics are more or less the same as the previous entries, especially SF2 and SF3.
SF4 had some serious execution barriers that prevented casual players from getting better. Most of those things are gone.

You can play the game with a stick or controller. There are no serious advantages to either, so just use what you like. Totally up to you. Most people are playing on the PS4 and simply using that controller. I'm rocking an Xbox One controller on the PC (using the analog stick), but have also dabbled with the PS4 controller via USB as well. I think the motions via analog are cleaner, but dashing is far quicker with a d-pad or joystick.

It's half-way between Street Fighter IV and Street Fighter III, so if you've played those you're be able to jump in fairly quickly. I'm using a PS4 controller (d-pad) and I don't have any complaints, maybe the detection for double quarter circle supers is a bit overly forgiving so I end up doing the super instead of the regular move in the middle of a combo, which is annoying.

The online matching is going a good job of finding me challenging matches, but sometimes I end up beating 8+ people in a row. Maybe if I ever get some time to sit down and play for a while it will sort it out. I've been playing Karin for a change of pace, it's nice to see some of the less popular SF characters, although some of the choices are a bit weird. No one seems to like F.A.N.G. and a few of the returning characters are very unpopular.

I tend to see lots and lots of Nash and Ken with very few FANGs, Zangiefs, and Dhalsims. I think a lot of people see the tier lists and people winning tournaments with Nash and are choosing based on that.
Everyone was using Laura before hearing that she "sucks." That, of course, ignores the fact that very few people can play well enough to illustrate why things are the way they are in tournaments.
As a Zangief player, I actually struggle the most with FANG, Laura, and Dhalsim while I'm rarely afraid of the fireball posse or Karin.

Alex is live for everyone to try. Even if you don't want to pay for him, just play Story Mode for 15 minutes and you'll get enough in-game points to unlock him when the free trial ends.
As a character, he really does just feel like a modernized take on his 3rd Strike persona. Same moves, controls, and strategies should work...at least minus some of the stomp patterns. That move has definitely been tweaked to keep people from spamming it at low levels.

Anyone here play the game regularly? I haven't been able to play much but am always up for some matches.

CFN: refraxion

I still play a fair amount, at least between Dark Souls runs. The inability to swap characters easily has made me a 95% Zangief-only player, which is kinda lame.
CFN: Domingo_X

Supposedly Guile's next on the docket for April. Hopefully they kept his charge-motions intact. Otherwise, there's no real need to have both he and Charlie in a game with so few characters.

Ah, I would have held off with Guile for a bit myself, and got some of the more unique characters in. Still though, not too bad a choice, and he is an old favorite. (not mine personally) Forgive me if I missed/forgot something, but is this the first game that Guile and Charlie are in at the same time?

Ah, I would have held off with Guile for a bit myself, and got some of the more unique characters in. Still though, not too bad a choice, and he is an old favorite. (not mine personally) Forgive me if I missed/forgot something, but is this the first game that Guile and Charlie are in at the same time?

Guile was eventually added to Alpha 3. I think we was originally added specifically for the Playstation port, but he's been in all of the subsequent variations. Because of how air blocking worked, Guile kinda sucked in that version of the game. From memory, he might have even been considered the worst character in the game. Engine-wise, he should be fine in SF5...at least as long as his sonic booms have enough recovery. He's always been tough for Capcom to balance because he's naturally defensive and because of his charge requirement, sonic booms have to recover quickly. What often ends up happening is that Guile is never actually vulnerable. Players are stuck having to throw him repeatedly because he's never open for anything else. If they make the sonic boom recovery too long, he ends up sucking because he has no other tools.

I see. Yeah, I had Alpha 1 and Alpha 2, but didn't have Alpha 3. I have it now, but I haven't played it, at least recently.

Details on Guile incoming this morning:
Guile joins Street Fighter 5 later this month, classic Air Force Base stage also on its way

Looks like he IS a charge character again, and his new additions allow him to be more aggressive. I can imagine that, as a Zangief player, I am going to HATE fighting him. Between the stationary projectiles and a moving crouch, this isn't going to be fun.
With Zangief struggling in tournaments thus far, I kinda wonder if they'll give him some additional tools soon. I'd settle for a better hitbox on the lariat.

This game just rocks. I am sure they will add tons of awesome characters. The community is healthy. Everyone with a passing interest in Street Fighter should own this. Much better than SFIV.

Fight stick is the best but the XBOX Elite controller is also pretty badass with that funky dpad. Nothing beats a fight stick though.

downgraded my HRAP3 on ps3 to the mini hori stick 4 on ps4, happy with that change. Solid game, i didnt mind that it was "lacking" in content on release, it was exactly what i was hoping for. It's all about the MP.

For me, I typically played through the single-player portion of the game just long enough to unlock the important stuff and maybe to play around with a new character.

My biggest (and only) gripe at this stage is related to character selection. The whole "favorite character" thing is stupid. There should be a character select screen before each match and it's puzzling why there isn't. It's not like they're saving load time or matchmaking time with it.

Other than that, I have several characters I like, even including good 'ol Ryu and Ken. Why not let me use them instead of forcing me to use the same character every match?

Guile is live as of last night...and he seems to be beastly. Charge times are very quick thanks to normal attacks having longer animations. Combos can keep going and going depending on what he's shooting for.
Seems his only weakness is that he has no moves quicker than 4 frames. That may not matter, but it at least gives me some confidence that Zangief might be able to stop once in a blue moon.

Nice! Looks like I'll be adding in a bit of SFV to my otherwise DS3 weekend. I'm not a big Guile player, but I'm all for some new match dynamics.

Over the next week I bet like 75% of the matches online will involve at least one Guile.
At this point, I'm ride or die with Zangief and (maybe) Alex. I'm still irritated that casual matches can only be played with your "favorite" character. That's such weak sauce.

Over the next week I bet like 75% of the matches online will involve at least one Guile.
At this point, I'm ride or die with Zangief and (maybe) Alex. I'm still irritated that casual matches can only be played with your "favorite" character. That's such weak sauce.

Can you not change this in lobby? Or is casual match not the same as battle lounge? Haha

Back