Street Fighter IV PC

is there a way to backup the street fighter 4 save file? I cant seem to find it. Or is the data stored online

Good games to Leezard earlier! I'm still kinda rusty.. my execution has gone to crap it seems :(, my stupid burn kicks from p2 side didn't want to come out at all lol.

is there a way to backup the street fighter 4 save file? I cant seem to find it. Or is the data stored online
Some things are stored online, and some are stored offline.
On windowsXP the saves are at \Documents and Settings\<Name>\My Documents\CAPCOM\

That location will most likely vary depending on your operating system.

Gabriel said:
Are the alternate customes available for purchase on the PC yet?
Yeah they've been available for about a week or two. I think you need to download and install the GFWL application to purchase them.

Loving the game but getting owned online (must be 0-40) :| :( It's been a while since Street Fighter II championship edition;)

Good games to Leezard earlier! I'm still kinda rusty.. my execution has gone to crap it seems :(, my stupid burn kicks from p2 side didn't want to come out at all lol.

gg indeed. I need to play against your C. Viper more and get her down. Oh by the way I won the tourney at quakcon. =)

I'm bumping this thread to remind anyone who hasn't got this game yet that its 50% off this weekend on Steam. Now there's no excuse to not get this game, its the best fighting game ever officially released for the PC platform.

I'm on the verge of picking it up, and probably will end up pulling the trigger sometime tonight. $20 is just too good to pass up :).

gg indeed. I need to play against your C. Viper more and get her down. Oh by the way I won the tourney at quakcon. =)

Oh man very nice! I took a huge break from sfiv, but after I plat batman I will be back
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

I pulled the trigger on it since it was 20$... probably should have thought about the need for a controller type device before doing that.

edit: been using the keyboard a bit, and i find it ridiculously hard to pull off many of the 2+ step combos... if anyone has had success doing many of the combos with keyboard do you mind sharing how you do it?

Sideout -- Keyboard is probably pretty hard to use, but maybe try mapping WASD buttons and using the numpad for attacks?

heh i'm using wasd and something to that effect, just having trouble figuring out how to cancel and what not..

might be more related to game itself rather than using a keyboard but i deffinitely fail at linking combos.

edit: read post on a few pages back about cancelling... for the life of me i can't get it to ever work the way it should.

for example, i tried as ryu doing standing high punch indo hadouken and it will never work for me.. but then i can just do a regular hadouken and just about every 3rd time i do it ryu will lead off with a punch and combo it w/o the control input.

so for me, i would press down, forward, high punch and the result would be a high punch hit + cancel + hadouken.. just doesn't seem logical

Last edited:
Bought it on Steem 50% off. Great game, plays wonderful with my USB converted Japanese Saturn joypad that I converted for emulated Gigawing 2 and DonPachi.

so for me, i would press down, forward, high punch and the result would be a high punch hit + cancel + hadouken.. just doesn't seem logical
Street Fighter games have a feature called "negative edge", where you can perform a special move by both 'pressing' and 'releasing' the button.
So a simple example, you can perform an hadouken by
(1) d, df, f, press punch
OR, if you were holding down a punch key,
(2) d, df, f, release punch
So using negative edge you can perform a punch/hadouken cancel with only one press/release.

Some users have no problems with a keyboard, most will prefer a pad or stick. Any controller which works with a 360 will work with your PC. If you are having trouble performing a certain move, enter the training mode, pause, go to options and set "show inputs" to "on", then attempt the move - it will show you exactly what inputs you're hitting.
Finally many keyboards have limits on the number of simultaneous keypresses it can support.

Ah, this negative edge is fairly useful to know about.

So how exactly would you punch cancel hadouken combo which someone used as an easy example 2 pages back?

Sorry for my noobness at fighting games but it would seem features like negative edge and cancels should be high lighted in the training so ignorant people like myself could figure it out!

And thanks a lot for your help, but still can't get the combo to work successfully.

edit: able to get this combo to work and maybe if i type it out and read it it will make more sense to me.

combo is Ryu normal #5 of trial 3, crouching HP into SRK? either way i couldn't get it to work, but stumbled into it being not what I would have thought. I assumed it would be down + HP, forward, down, down-forward + Punch, but what works for me every time is forward, down + HP, forward + Punch... and it works everytime and it's like all of 3 presses... game boggles my mind.

Last edited:
So how exactly would you punch cancel hadouken combo which someone used as an easy example 2 pages back?
Don't let negative edge confuse you, its an option or not if you wish to use it or not. Most players don't use it at all, some use it only for certain combos. If you're not experienced with fighting games, its best to learn things the old fashioned way - then once you're more experienced you can implement negative edge into situations you think it might help you.

crouching HP into SRK? ...game boggles my mind.
Don't let the game boggle your mind. SF4 features what is commonly referred to as input leniency, where a required dpad direction could be substituted with ANY direction in the same hemisphere.

So for example, if a move requires "Back" (such as a sonic boom) - ANY back direction, will work. So you can use down-back, back or up-back and it will qualify as "back". So you can get a sonic boom (which is back, forward) by doing down-back, then down-forward.
Another example - you can perform a shoryuken via down-forward, down, down-forward - and so forth for any move in the game.

I assumed it would be down + HP, forward, down, down-forward + Punch
Correct - but you need to realize that you can BUFFER input directions. Meaning you can input the directions for a move during another move. So for example the C.HP xx SRK which you are talking about, you can do: DF+P, D, DF+P - which will get your crouching punch into shoryuken.

Thanks for the help! I was able to figure out a bunch of combos with the buffering!

Small problem atm for Ryu, Standing Punch into SRK.. being that it seems like you can not input buffer on this

Small problem atm for Ryu, Standing Punch into SRK.. being that it seems like you can not input buffer on this
Yep that's a little tougher due to Ryu's F+HP being a solar plexus strike. Many characters have moves like that, where its just a direction+punch or kick, so you can't buffer in that case - just need to do the second move very quickly without buffering. Think of it like HP~F (hitting the forward immediately after pressing HP), then d,df, Punch.

How's the on-line community?
The PC version of the game has sold very well considering its late release, there's almost always people online to play against. The multiplayer is direct P2P, so your latency will depend on the direct connection between your PC and your opponents PC.

So I'm quite a noob to SFIV, being used to SF Alpha and the Marvel/SNK vs. Capcom games.

What do I need to do to counter throws from players that like to grab often? I fought a Bison and Abel player that just threw me all over the place whenever I got close. I can't seem to replicate this when I play even though I'm slamming LP/LK.

Well once you start playing the game more you start noticing patterns that people do and almost know that a throw is coming. Abel can throw you a lot because of command throws which you cannot get out of. So you just gotta be careful.

So I'm quite a noob to SFIV, being used to SF Alpha and the Marvel/SNK vs. Capcom games.

What do I need to do to counter throws from players that like to grab often? I fought a Bison and Abel player that just threw me all over the place whenever I got close. I can't seem to replicate this when I play even though I'm slamming LP/LK.

If Abel is using his command throws they can't be teched. To tech a throw in 4 literally mash LP/LK, if you do this while crouching you'll be "option teching", meaning if they don't actually go for a throw you'll toss out a short, if they do you'll tech it.

Throws in 4 have frames to tech them, unlike ST where they were 0 frame with a small window to soften them.

Bison doesnt have a command throw so you should be able to tech him just like anyone elses standard throws. Abel, Zangief, Honda, and Fei all have command throws that drastically change their wake up games. Fei's isnt actually a throw, but its followed by some invicibility frames that can rock your world. Also, one of Goukens standard throws can be combo'ed into quite a few of attacks that result in much more damage than a regular throw.

If someone is going over the top with throws, try zoning them or using attacks with faster startup times (cr.lp, cr.lk, dp). Every character is different so some dont expect one tactic to work against all players. For example, trying to SRK your way through Zangiefs grabs is a sure fire way to get beat up.

Is the in-game FPS display counter buggy or what?
I have everything maxed out and it shows constant 60 fps but when I ran Fraps alongside it then Fraps fps counter can fall to 40s during ultra.

edit: Nevermind, it's becasue of the fixed frame rate setting that drops frames to keep the game speed normal.
So I guess I should aim to tweak my settings so I'd get 60 fps on variable frame rate? Otherwise having 60 fps with dropped frames will mess with the timing?

Last edited:
Well once you start playing the game more you start noticing patterns that people do and almost know that a throw is coming. Abel can throw you a lot because of command throws which you cannot get out of. So you just gotta be careful.

I always keep Abel at a distance if possible.

Back