Street Fighter 6

Diablo 4 and SF6 on the same day....Damn...

Yuuuup. Plus, thanks to both games dropping multiple betas/demos we know they aren't going to be the next Jedi Survivor or TLoU, too. You should just be able to fire 'em both up, even on so-so hardware.

I'm in a legit pickle. The girlfriend and I are hype for D4 but the temptation to terrorize noobs on day 1 might be too much to pass up.

Pre-load is already live. Pretty much all the reviews say the game is amazing, although a couple don't care for the story mode...which I totally get. I have a feeling I'll play through that once (to collect whatever goodies it unlocks) and then I'll never touch it again.

My plan is to hop into training mode for 30'ish minutes just to see what Gief's moves can do. I'll probably do his combo challenge, too. Those can be helpful with discovering oddball links and/or combos you wouldn't normally think of. From there, it's gonna be piledrivin' time.

Pre-ordered this, possibly against my better judgement, but it seems more interesting than SF5. Since Bison isn't in it (yet??) I gotta pick a character to run with!

Pre-ordered this, possibly against my better judgement, but it seems more interesting than SF5. Since Bison isn't in it (yet??) I gotta pick a character to run with!

I have a feeling he'll eventually be added or they'll add a successor with a similar moveset. Won't happen for at least a year, though. The first DLC characters have already been mapped out and only one of 'em isn't a known quantity (AKI). Blanka's probably the closest thing for now.

How are the keyboard controls in this one. They were dope af with SFIV but with SFV the keyboard controls didn't really connect with me.
I also read there is a nub control mode, how does that work on a keyboard?

Thoughts? Otherwise ima gonna try a demo anyway.

How are the keyboard controls in this one. They were dope af with SFIV but with SFV the keyboard controls didn't really connect with me.
I also read there is a nub control mode, how does that work on a keyboard?

Thoughts? Otherwise ima gonna try a demo anyway.

I bet they're probably pretty good. More and more people have been playing with KB setups in recent years. You also have lots of people using Hitboxes, which are basically an alternative layout keyboard.
The main thing I noticed is that they're offering lots of macro functions so you don't have to hit all of the multi-key functions by hand. For instance, you can do a drive impact (heavy punch + heavy kick) with one button. Ditto with parries, throws, taunts, etc. They even have the "modern" control sets that simplify things even further.

Picked up the deluxe version. Controls in the demo were fine and I can live with modern scheme for now. Keyboard seems to be as responsive as ever and 120 fps. On PS5 game was lagging in resolution mode. On PC smooth as butter at 4K120 fps.

Getting my butt punched in every online match. Will need to learn these stupid modern controls.

Played around with some Zangief this morning. The SPD reaches way, way out and it does huge damage. The EX version especially. On the other hand, his other attacks don't seem to be geared around landing combos, or they're high-precision combos. Some of his later combo trials are really damn tough, but those might be needed to win at high levels. For now, I'm just using a lot of EX SPD ticks and doing 25-35% damage each time. If I get some breaks during my workday, I'm going to give Honda and Marisa a go.

So Lily is basically a better T. Hawk. I have a feeling she won't be popular, but I really dig her. The first thing I noticed about both Honda and Blanka is that their signature moves no longer involve mashing. Both of them are done like normal quarter-circle motions. I always hated mashy moves, so I can see myself playing both of them way more.

With the amount of dashing and precise movement needed, I've gone from using a Series X pad to the PS5 Dualsense. I miss my piledrivers here and there, but this game just isn't built for playing with an analog stick.

Of the characters I've played with/against so far, I think Dhalsim seems like a full-on problem. The game is new, but he just has way more trickery out of the gate than everyone else. Plus, both angled and horizontal fireballs + teleport shenanigans = tough to deal with. JP seems like he could eventually be elite, but I think he also has a steep learning curve. Lily is super simplistic, but is really effective right now. People just don't know what to make of her yet. She might be the worst character in the game when it's said and done, but she's crushing people at the moment. I have yet to play a Dee Jay worth a damn, but I'm kinda scared of his tools. Wouldn't shock me if he was top tier.

I connected my Xbox controller. Finally doing pile drivers with Zangief. I don’t like the modern scheme. Went back to normal. Also they changed so many moves it seems that classic even requires a relearn.

Doing OK with Ken and Zangief. Everything else is a wash. But overall losing a lot more than normal.

Need to git gud I guess.

thats what i use too. not sure if that guy ever got the error sorted though...
Slade , any luck?
The fix for me was not to enable any of the 64-bit tweaks I normally would use to make subtitles work for anime shows. SF6 demo, beta and full versions all worked properly after that.

Last edited:
Pro tip: Blanka's fierce roll is super tough to punish with 1/2 the cast. You basically have to perfect parry it or jump it in the corner with a lot of characters. I haven't actually encountered anyone doing that, but the forums and Twitter are kinda blowing up about it. Luckily, almost nobody plays Blanka in any SF game.

I am finally getting the controls. Zangief is boss. Kicking nubs asses now. Still a lot to unlearn and relearn. My favortie Oni has been missing since SFIV. I hope the extra 4 characters have Oni.
Game is absolutely dope. I made an Avatar and started out fighting on the streets. Dope af.

I've started messing around with the "world tour mode" (aka. story mode), and it's kind of amusing. If you have the muscle memory down for a basic knock-down combo, you can spam it endlessly, though. I beat some level 28 guy at level 5 by just doing jump fierce, low fierce, fierce flash-knuckle. Over and over - it took like 3 minutes, but it kept working. Seems like that mode is where you can get avatar clothing and whatnot.

I've noticed that the masses still seem scared to death of Zangief and keep backing themselves into the corner. That's of course where they get dismantled and it's exactly where any Gief wants you to be. Where he struggles is when people are constantly hitting him with buttons and pressing him. You'd think people would realize that, but so many players just. keep. backing. up. scared. You can do that with a big lead, but otherwise you're going to get annihilated once you're in that corner.

I've noticed that the masses still seem scared to death of Zangief and keep backing themselves into the corner. That's of course where they get dismantled and it's exactly where any Gief wants you to be. Where he struggles is when people are constantly hitting him with buttons and pressing him. You'd think people would realize that, but so many players just. keep. backing. up. scared. You can do that with a big lead, but otherwise you're going to get annihilated once you're in that corner.
BIG muscle guy scary!!!! :p

I need to pick this up soon... I loved sf4 but never played sf5.

The story mode is so odd. It's one of those open world games where they seem to think everyone sprints from mission to mission without ever poking around. I'm by far the strongest person in this entire city by about 20 levels and they're trying to teach me how to block and do low hits.

I feel like I've kinda hit a wall. My habits from prior games aren't serving me particularly well and I feel like I'm losing to dumb things more than I should. I'm thinking of switching away from Gief and Lili (just for the moment) in order to better adjust to SF6. I still think the game is awesome, I just think I need to change my playstyle a bit.

Max has been around a minute. I think he mainly got started making Marvel 2 video content, but he likes fighting games of all sorts. I appreciate that he's basically a normal guy. He's absolutely a good player, but it's not like he's Justin Wong or even Brian F and Smug. He's basically an elite everyday/casual player.

I'm continuing to grind through the single-player mode and it's surprisingly long and robust. It's still extremely weird and unbalanced, but I'm kinda shocked at the amount of effort went into it. It's basically like a Street Fighter RPG. I can't quite tell if you unlock every move for every character, but it's kinda neat being able to play 75% as Ryu only with Manon's command grab, Cammy's divekick, and Chun's super.
I see a lot of people messing around with Avatar battles and I guess I get it now.

Max has been around a minute. I think he mainly got started making Marvel 2 video content, but he likes fighting games of all sorts. I appreciate that he's basically a normal guy. He's absolutely a good player, but it's not like he's Justin Wong or even Brian F and Smug. He's basically an elite everyday/casual player.
In addition to competing, he has also done a ton of behind the scenes support, organizing, and commentary. And got his video channel established REALLY early. He was there for a lot of core events and culture shaping, for modern FGC. Including Killer Instinct (Xbox One) (KI is sort of credited in the FGC, for creating the modern Fighting Game template, which has changed FGC culture). For KI, he ended up doing some official advising for promotional material, how to present characters, and other things.

Nowadays, he also streams other content. Such as FF7 Remake. Bloodborne. Other souls games. etc.

Seems no one is playing this game. My 9 year old has been wrecking idiots in ranked matches with Zangief using modern scheme. He basically waits, hits art when other tries to hit and then grabs for a pile driver move. Rinse and repeat. He even leveled up my toon to Iron 2 after a few matches. I couldn’t stop laughing. Can’t believe they allow Modern scheme in ranked 🤣.

Seems no one is playing this game. My 9 year old has been wrecking idiots in ranked matches with Zangief using modern scheme. He basically waits, hits art when other tries to hit and then grabs for a pile driver move. Rinse and repeat. He even leveled up my toon to Iron 2 after a few matches. I couldn’t stop laughing. Can’t believe they allow Modern scheme in ranked 🤣.
Yikes, the population is bad or do you mean no one knows how to play properly? Also, lol @ your son owning the herd of so-called "leet gamers" :ROFLMAO:.

Honestly, Gief with modern controls is kinda beastly. You can hit single input EX-SPD's (which still take about 1/3 of your life) instantly. With everyone leaving gaps between moves to avoid DI's, having an instant SPD is crazy. I was going back and forth with one player just to test it. When I was trying to manually grab him, he nailed me roughly 8/10 times. Luckily modern controls totally eliminate the jab SPD, which has the longest range. Still, mashing SPD in neutral is legit. The instant super is straight up impossible with manual controls and that's the best punish in the whole game.

A good player can still bait attacks and win, but the struggle is real. I'm scared to death of a Gief using modern controls who is a good player, too. Capcom usually only makes buffs/nerfs at the highest levels, but occasionally they will tweak OP'd approaches that crush everyday players. Wouldn't shock me if modern Gief's SPD was weakened to be the shorter ranged HP version.

Unrelated to all that, I finally beat story mode. It took me like 20 hours, too. I didn't "master" all of the characters, either, but I maxed out roughly 1/2 of them. Having a mix of Guile, Dee Jay, Manon, and Luke is pretty neat. Gief's moves were mostly disappointing IMO. The SPD does pitiful damage and at least Manon's grabs get stronger and stronger with each use.
EDIT: I beat all of the super powerful optional foes and you don't get jack shit for it. Some of those fights took like 10 minutes, too. I was level 70'ish and the last couple were in the 80's and 90's. Pretty much the only way to get any real damage on any of them is to call in the various master characters to assist. The final boss doesn't even let you do that, so you're pretty much just in for a long/grindy battle just to get a pair of angel wings for your avatar (n)

Last edited:
Back