Street Fighter 6

I'm not liking the look of this at all. Why cant we just get a fighting game?

That's basically what they tried with SF5 and it tanked. The fighting games that have sold the best have been filled with story modes, platforming sections, character customizers, and lots of non-combat frills.

Didn't play SF5 but why do they have to have these types of currencies FC, Drive Tickets... sounds like the game store is monetized. Is it like how MK11 handled cosmetics?

I hope Tekken 8 doesn't do this, its the only fighting game series I really care about.

i dont like "urban" look/theme, thats been old for years and years and the lobby and gimmicky level shit just doesnt feel like SF. player created characters look like crap too, like assets from last gen games.

That's basically what they tried with SF5 and it tanked. The fighting games that have sold the best have been filled with story modes, platforming sections, character customizers, and lots of non-combat frills.
I tought SF5 had a story mode, it did not have a standard player vs pc mode though until well over a year agter launch.

i dont like "urban" look/theme, thats been old for years and years and the lobby and gimmicky level shit just doesnt feel like SF. player created characters look like crap too, like assets from last gen games.

my first thought(s)

1663286027924.png

Street Fighter 6 is from 17 years ago it seems

I tought SF5 had a story mode, it did not have a standard player vs pc mode though until well over a year agter launch.

So SF5 launched with a player vs. PC mode, it was just setup as a "tournament" mode where you fought between 10 and 100 foes in a row. No clue why they chose that vs. a simple arcade mode, but it was mostly the same thing. You could also play vs. the CPU in VS. mode. They added a true arcade mode later and nobody really cared by that point. It ended up having 2 different versions of a story mode. Out of the gate it had a mode where the game showed you a series of hand-drawn stills and you fought 3-4 enemies in a row to supposedly tell your character's story. About a year after launch they added a massive 10GB story mode that was more of a movie than a mode. I went through it once and never touched it again. The core game of SF5 (online vs. mode) was mostly fine at launch, although a lot of people simply didn't like that compared to SF4. By that point SF4 had 40 characters and 5 years of updates. It was also a game that simply had more depth. SF5 was supposed to harken back to SF3's close combat focus, for better or worse.

Here's the full reveal of all the launch characters. They're the same ones that leaked on announcement day, so there are no surprises. They probably had zero intention of making this video prior to that leak, so I appreciate that they're at least acknowledging that we all saw it.

June 2, 2023!

Watch the trailer featuring glimpses of World Tour and gameplay introductions for Dee Jay, Manon, Marisa, and JP...

The SF community is hyped up as hell, so I think it actually IS what people want these days.

The SF community is hyped up as hell, so I think it actually IS what people want these days.

I wouldn't say it's just these days. Looking through this thread most of the gripes about the art direction and characters. That's really odd. Street Fighter has always had a diverse set of characters that come off as silly versions of what they are trying to represent. The game has always had an anime visual style and heavily emphasized urban culture. That makes sense. The FGC is majority minority and has always been full of LGBETQ types and over the top outfits. As graphics get better Capcom has more and more been able to push through in this area but this is not just what people want now. It's what it always was if you bothered to pay any attention.

The gameplay looks fine and everyone needs to play it. Some of the silly stuff like world tour or those brief games of batting basketballs and stuff are either direct rips of stuff that was done that were loved, or done in the same style.

I wouldn't say it's just these days. Looking through this thread most of the gripes about the art direction and characters. That's really odd. Street Fighter has always had a diverse set of characters that come off as silly versions of what they are trying to represent. The game has always had an anime visual style and heavily emphasized urban culture. That makes sense. The FGC is majority minority and has always been full of LGBETQ types and over the top outfits. As graphics get better Capcom has more and more been able to push through in this area but this is not just what people want now. It's what it always was if you bothered to pay any attention.

The gameplay looks fine and everyone needs to play it. Some of the silly stuff like world tour or those brief games of batting basketballs and stuff are either direct rips of stuff that was done that were loved, or done in the same style.
Primary complaints have been the visual style and slowness of the gameplay. I have not seen one post complaining about so-called "diversity" in the game.

stfu with your diversity/lgbt gaslighting bullshit, no one here mentioned those, at all.

Chun Lee substitute Manon I won't pick this up no matter what all fighter games are the same after a while.
It was fun on SNES I mean that is all we had back then was Blanka.

Last edited:

Chun Lee substitute Manon I won't pick this up no matter what all fighter games are the same after a while.
It was fun on SNES I mean that is all we had back then with Blanka.

Manon is kinda like a hybrid between Lili (Tekken) and Abel from the prior games. I can tell I'm going to hate her already. Her training dummy in that clip, Marisa, is more of interest to me. Her design has quite a few similarities to Craig Marduk (from Tekken, again). In general, I'm getting lots of Tekken vibes from all of the new characters.

Related, Capcom is doing a 2nd beta of SF6 this weekend. It's the same characters from the first beta, but they've made a few behind-the-scenes gameplay tweaks. I haven't been selected for either beta, so I'm a little bit bitter about that. I'd venture I've put more time into Street Fighter than 99.99% of the population.

A trailer for the last 3 characters just dropped. As a lifelong Gief player, I think he looks great. Like with the prior characters, he gives me a little bit of a Tekken vibe, too. Lily as a reimagined T. Hawk? I can dig it. I think I'm one of the only people that liked the character. Cammy looks like Cammy, but at least she looks way more visually serious. They showed the most real-world gameplay from her, and it looks like the same 'ol thing, which is still typically effective. I can imagine those same tired button/grab mix ups still working.

A trailer for the last 3 characters just dropped. As a lifelong Gief player, I think he looks great. Like with the prior characters, he gives me a little bit of a Tekken vibe, too. Lily as a reimagined T. Hawk? I can dig it. I think I'm one of the only people that liked the character. Cammy looks like Cammy, but at least she looks way more visually serious. They showed the most real-world gameplay from her, and it looks like the same 'ol thing, which is still typically effective. I can imagine those same tired button/grab mix ups still working.

Lily reminds me of a Soulcalibur character!

Cammy looks like a 90's Lara Croft render. Not a fan of her look.

Im more shocked they are giving 1 million dollar prize at the Capcom cup to first place in SF6. That freaking insane for a video game tournament.

Im more shocked they are giving 1 million dollar prize at the Capcom cup to first place in SF6. That freaking insane for a video game tournament.
A million dollars is a drop in the bucket for the marketing of the game

Hilarious that they changed Cammy's outfit due to her being banned at tournaments for her "offensive" leotard, and now she is as sexy as ever.

Street Fighter 6- Hikaru Takahashi | Real Time Commentary Feature

The game’s final color commentator has been revealed, and it’s Hikaru Takahashi...Hikaru will join seven other commentators in-game, which players can enable and disable at their leisure...

Of the commentators, I'm rocking James Chen (who is the oldest of old school) and Tasty Steve. Beyond being my favorites from live events, the recordings I've heard from them seem to be the most "natural." Hopefully the commentary has a lot of lines and gets updated as the game does. If not, that might be something everyone disables immediately.

Street Fighter 6- Year 1 Character Reveal Trailer

Street Fighter 6- World Tour Gameplay & Avatar Battle Trailer

1682031948071.png

wtf is this shit?! pause menu powerups in SF?! come on...
have they toned down the in-fight "urban feel" or are they just not using in trailers now?

View attachment 565540
wtf is this shit?! pause menu powerups in SF?! come on...
have they toned down the in-fight "urban feel" or are they just not using in trailers now?
I think those powerups are exclusive to the singleplayer world tour mode. And its likely a way to give less skilled players some options to be able to keep progressing.
Its essentially a fightimg game RPG mode and is a way to get more sales, without interfering with core Street Fighter.

I think those powerups are exclusive to the singleplayer world tour mode. And its likely a way to give less skilled players some options to be able to keep progressing.
Its essentially a fightimg game RPG mode and is a way to get more sales, without interfering with core Street Fighter.
i guess. just doesnt seem right to me, just put it on easy.

Back