Street Fighter 6

Is it too much to hope that Capcom isn't going to shove bullshit microtransactions into every orifice of this game?

I still haven't played SF V because of the crap they pulled there - although I do own the base game from Humble monthly.
I was looking at the sale for it on Steam over the weekend and was instantly reminded of why I've never bought it. Unfortunately almost all fighting games are like this these days. Make me kind of glad I mostly dropped the genre after the mid-2000s.

I was looking at the sale for it on Steam over the weekend and was instantly reminded of why I've never bought it. Unfortunately almost all fighting games are like this these days. Make me kind of glad I mostly dropped the genre after the mid-2000s.

Agreed, DLC has been absolutely cancerous to this genre. You can't just buy a fucking complete game anymore without having to shell out for endless season passes, there are so many titles I would have bought if they hadn't adopted this toxic sales strategy.

1645452998646.png

1645453080468.png

looks like old man ryu has been taking some of that hrt joe rogan loves. dig the beard and is that s&p hair, or just lighting?

Agreed, DLC has been absolutely cancerous to this genre. You can't just buy a fucking complete game anymore without having to shell out for endless season passes, there are so many titles I would have bought if they hadn't adopted this toxic sales strategy.
Yes it is why I lost interest in fighting games. SF4 was the last one me and my friends played consistently.

The $580 figure assumes that you're going out of your way to try and pay as much as you possibly can. It also includes doubling-up on lots of things and buying optional outfits and such.
The "real" cost of the game + all of the main content is closer to $110 ($60 + 5 x $10) if you played from the very beginning. That's for the characters. A couple hours of fight money will get you the stages.
You could've gone cheaper if you hopped on later. That's NOT cheap, but it's still a long way from $580.

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see what SF6 is all about. Will it be exclusive to one console? Will it have versions for the older systems? How many characters? New mechanics? Etc.

The $580 figure assumes that you're going out of your way to try and pay as much as you possibly can. It also includes doubling-up on lots of things and buying optional outfits and such.
The "real" cost of the game + all of the main content is closer to $110 ($60 + 5 x $10) if you played from the very beginning. That's for the characters. A couple hours of fight money will get you the stages.
You could've gone cheaper if you hopped on later. That's NOT cheap, but it's still a long way from $580.

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see what SF6 is all about. Will it be exclusive to one console? Will it have versions for the older systems? How many characters? New mechanics? Etc.
notice how we were talking about the DLC costs and it being cancerous...

notice how we were talking about the DLC costs and it being cancerous...

The other option is to not have any DLC. They just release a game and that's that. Updates are new titles. They used to do that and we ended up with 5 Street Fighter 2's, 3 Alpha games, 3 SF3 games, 6 Marvel games, 5 SF4 games (+DLC in them) etc. etc. That's just the original releases, too. Those games were $50-60 each and you'd have tons of people refusing to buy them early on because they knew that they hyper/turbo/ultra versions would eventually come out. With SF5, you had a singular title that everyone got character/balance updates for each season. If you wanted the DLC characters/stages, you could buy 'em...or not. Nothing keeps you from playing against those characters or on those stages online. Don't want Ed or Falke? Don't buy 'em. The seasonal model for SF5 is only an issue if you go ham and pay for literally everything without a second thought. I could go ham and buy a bunch of Skyrim versions that include 95% the same things and that's my fault for not looking at what's included with what. That's not to say that the original shipping game wasn't rushed AF, but the model they used worked fine.

I'm curious about it -- one thing I hope they do is open up the combo paths more. In an effort to simplify the game for SFV, the combo paths were shortened so the amount of options for what your character could do and when were very linear. That's one reason the game felt so dull to watch after a while, IMO. I also hope backdashing isn't just an absolute trash option in this game lol.

I'm curious about it -- one thing I hope they do is open up the combo paths more. In an effort to simplify the game for SFV, the combo paths were shortened so the amount of options for what your character could do and when were very linear. That's one reason the game felt so dull to watch after a while, IMO. I also hope backdashing isn't just an absolute trash option in this game lol.

I couldn't agree more about combo routes. Something that adds variety that doesn't totally upend matches in seconds. Hopefully something that doesn't provide universal invulnerable or armor frames.
Backdashing is a tough one. It was too strong in SF4 and too weak in SF5. Some of that problem is just the nature of SF5 in general, though. If they didn't make 90% of the SF5 cast rushdown, it wouldn't have been so noticeable.

SFV differentiates itself from a lot of games that way------by emphasizing "normals". Generally, its not meant to be a combo fest. And that's a good thing. I would also like to see them get away from super meters.

SFV differentiates itself from a lot of games that way------by emphasizing "normals". Generally, its not meant to be a combo fest. And that's a good thing. I would also like to see them get away from super meters.

Why remove super meters? Supers are dope.

Super meters aren't used for actual supers all that much in SF4 and SF5. Most of the cast (in both titles) tends to use 'em for EX moves. Especially since V-Triggers and Ultras kinda/sorta provide the same effect as a super.
With SF5, I appreciated the idea behind the whole "back to basics/normals/footsies" approach, but dislike how inconsistent it is. You have some characters with almost no safe special moves that have to work their asses off to land a jab/short. Then you have Cammy, Urien, Akuma, Bison, Rashid, etc. that walk/dash super fast, have ungodly EX moves, and can mash heavy buttons at will. After anything, the whole game devolves into throw/meaty mix ups over and over. It's like the better characters don't even have to play SF5, they can just do whatever they want.

Super meters aren't used for actual supers all that much in SF4 and SF5. Most of the cast (in both titles) tends to use 'em for EX moves. Especially since V-Triggers and Ultras kinda/sorta provide the same effect as a super.
With SF5, I appreciated the idea behind the whole "back to basics/normals/footsies" approach, but dislike how inconsistent it is. You have some characters with almost no safe special moves that have to work their asses off to land a jab/short. Then you have Cammy, Urien, Akuma, Bison, Rashid, etc. that walk/dash super fast, have ungodly EX moves, and can mash heavy buttons at will. After anything, the whole game devolves into throw/meaty mix ups over and over. It's like the better characters don't even have to play SF5, they can just do whatever they want.
I think that over the long life of the game, that was an attempt to keep it flashy and exciting. So that it wouldn't lose mindshare at events, to its contemporaries.

Might be a placeholder till management agrees on which font to use for the real one. :confused:

Hopefully. The fact that they bothered to change it a little doesn't bode well. I bet they weren't counting on people finding that. Definitely not in the first 24 hours.

https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2022/feb/22/street-fighter-6-logo/

LOL, the drama over that half-assed logo keeps on going. At this point I expect them to change it and pretend that it was a placeholder all along. Do I believe that? No way.
Considering the next SF6 announcement isn't until the summer, I hope we'll at least get some gameplay footage this time.

They're still supposed rebalance SF5 one last time (at least assuming they don't break anything), so there's that in the meantime.

When you give people a quick CGI intro and a logo and expect that to generate hype for 6 months, people are gonna dissect that stuff. Especially after being stuck with Street Fighter 5 for an extra 18 months. Does it matter? Not really, but it's a bad first impression from a series that needs to rebound.

people give a fuck about game logos now...?

Logos are a pretty big deal for marketing purposes! It can fully prime someones expectations about a product. I mean if the game is really good regardless it can overcome stuff like that, but it really is a trash logo though lol. I can see what they are going for, like being inside a hexagon emphasizes the "6" aspect of it, but build on it some more. The fact that it was straight up a slightly altered stock image is extremely lazy, especially coming off of SFV's pretty great logo. I'm with Domingo in that they will probably change and say it was a placeholder logo, but it almost certainly was not haha.

Not sure what to even expect or want from a new Street Fighter game! I still largely love SF4, and to a lesser extent the Alpha games and SF2. One thing I do hope for is that visually it doesn't have a plasticky look like SF5 kind of did.

Street Fighter 6- State of Play June 2022 Announce Trailer

Wth, only for ps4/5 and not pc? (per logos on end slide) Oh well, I have a ps4 I bought for Spider-Man, so I guess I'll be able to play it if it's any good at least.

Wth, only for ps4/5 and not pc? (per logos on end slide) Oh well, I have a ps4 I bought for Spider-Man, so I guess I'll be able to play it if it's any good at least.

it was a Sony presentation so they wanted to focus on their hardware...doesn't mean it's not coming to PC

The fighting game community has oddly moved over to the PC (never thought I'd say/type that) so there will definitely be a PC version.
No clue what to think of this. I like the open world elements, but I don't quite understand the 90's graffiti/neon/hip-hop element. It's like a rewind to the weird choices with SF3.
I can't tell what the new mechanics are, but it seems like there are alpha counters/v-reversals. Ditto with some kind of move that blows through other attacks and causes a crumple stun.
Supposedly this guy is an insider and some of what he has already posted was spot-on in the trailer: https://twitter.com/_99VJ/status/1532502927474049024

Back