Street Fighter 4 Thread

Are the nerfs to other characters just limited to the Arcade DLC or did they come across in the new title update?

It'll be across the board as I'm pretty sure you can fight against the AE characters even if you haven't bought the DLC. I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong tho.

They should do Zero 3 Upper next then that will give the fans a choice as it seems quite a few ppl still play SSF2T too.

It'll be across the board as I'm pretty sure you can fight against the AE characters even if you haven't bought the DLC. I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong tho.

If that is true, then it's a very nice way to "encourage" gamers to buy the DLC. Fucking Crapcom.

I know you can play the AE players online, but I don't think you can fight the new characters. I might be wrong, though. The reason I don't think you can is because there's an AE/Original toggle in-game.
The new character balances are ONLY for the Arcade Edition. If you do buy the AE download, you can swap back to the original SSF4 balancing whenever you like.
Considering how much I don't like the new balancing and how little I like the new characters, I'm probably going to toggle mine back to vanilla SSF4 for good.

Besides Twin Mania, I like AE better overall. It's geared for more technical play, and less gimmicks, although they went a bout it the wrong way. Awesome time to be a good Zangief player lol. Makoto is fun and dangerous now, mid to high risk, high reward.

I've logged over 1000 hours into SF4 series since 09. AE just is not doing it for me. I main Akuma, so Yun is annoying as hell. I also use Sakura and Gouken but I just dont have the heart to do this anymore. I'm officially out. It's all for the better I think as I'll be able to play some other games now. I was extremely addicted to SF4 so I'm kind of grateful AE happened. Good luck to those continuing from here, have fun with Yun. Especially once people get more seasoned with him.

^
I think I might be with ya. I really just don't care for the changes, and honestly...a $15 upgrade that screwed up a $30 game is a little insulting anyway.
I might end up going back to HD Remix casually. I always liked that one the most anyway.

People still complain about Sagat in AE?

I think you're one of the few people that stuck with him. I almost never see any Sagats even though he's still a great character. The tier-reliant players all swapped over to Ryu I'd guess. I don't think he can do the short kick cancel (allowing those 1/2 screen punish uppercuts) but he can still bust out those massive ultra sequences.
With AE you're just going to keep running into Yun, Yang, Ryu, and Ken now.

Back from the dead!
For anyone who still cares, the 2012 patch to SSF4 Arcade Edition comes out today.
It's a free update that re-balances the game a bit. Some characters like Hakan and Evil Ryu will get buffs, while others like Yun/Yang and Fei Long are mostly tweaked down. I think at least everyone got at least one buff, though.
While most people might not notice the minor changes (Yun/Yang nerfs won't affect most random players), some tweaks are pretty obvious. Abel's damage is back, Zangief knocks people down with fierce punches, Hakan can start oiled up, etc. affect everyone.

With the huge rush of other games over the last few months I haven't played too much...but I'll probably spend a fair amount of time with it. Zangief looks to be even better, Abel's back to being useful, Hakan won't suck at the beginning of a round, and T. Hawk always annoys people.

...and so it begins. I've been insulted, kicked out of 2 rooms, and insulted again...
Zangief, T. Hawk, and Honda really seem to irk the random casual players that love to throw fireballs and tic throw themselves.
On the plus side, a pre-greased Hakan is pretty interesting. People aren't so brazen against him now. His kick grab seems easier to do, too.
No major overhauls to my game as of yet, but the influx of players is always nice.

With the huge rush of other games over the last few months I haven't played too much...but I'll probably spend a fair amount of time with it. Zangief looks to be even better, Abel's back to being useful, Hakan won't suck at the beginning of a round, and T. Hawk always annoys people.

I'm kind of surprised with Zangief's changes. It looks like they gave him some decent buffs and only one minor nerf. I thought he was suppose to be pretty good already.

I wish they had decreased Seth's teleport recovery frames. They slowed his teleport down so much its really hard to use it offensively.

Last edited:
I'm kind of surprised with Zangief's changes. It looks like they gave him some decent buffs and only one minor nerf. I thought he was suppose to be pretty good already.

I wish they had decreased Seth's teleport recovery frames. They slowed his teleport down so much its really hard to use it offensively.

They want Zangief to be good, but not bordeline OP and annoying like Vanill 'Gief. He is still limited by the Seth and Sagat matchups, so unfortunately, not much will be different. FlashMetroid and Vangief will do well with him, and that's about it. I think the best buff is the hitbox fix on c. RH, although I really wanted df. RH to get that to make it safer. He takes a lot of work, footsies and precision to win at high levels, so it is what it is.

As far as Seth, they seem to not know what to do with him. They keep making changes that redefine his play style.

My favorite change so far, is the hitbox fix on Rufus' target combo. SO EASY to get Target Combo to U1 now. If I had time, I'd go online with him just to piss scrubs off.

Yeah, Gief's okay, but not some kind of world beater. I think the best thing about him is that very few non-tournament level players really know what to do against him.
The new fierce punch knockdown thing is kind of funny, but man is that thing slow. I tried landing it about a dozen different ways and only hit someone with it once. I think they were trying to make it like Alpha 3, but that punch has too much wind-up to land regularly.

They really nerf'd my main Akuma. He really didn't need it. I'm pretty sure I'm done at this point. 1500 hours , I've had enough.

Yeah, Gief's okay, but not some kind of world beater. I think the best thing about him is that very few non-tournament level players really know what to do against him.
The new fierce punch knockdown thing is kind of funny, but man is that thing slow. I tried landing it about a dozen different ways and only hit someone with it once. I think they were trying to make it like Alpha 3, but that punch has too much wind-up to land regularly.

If he had the A3 FP, he'd be broken, that thing was ridiculous lol. I have been using the far FP as a psuedo frame trap after a blocked c. Jab or Short. If they jump or use the wrong normal, they get hit and knocked down, then I get a free splash mixup.

I'm still having trouble landing it, but I suppose I probably am trying to force it a little. I've always had more luck with 'Gief's standing roundhouse because it beats jumps really well and if you're at the perfect range for a jab SPD if you land it as an anti-air. I tend to mix up going for the SPD or just standing there and letting them whiff the attempted counter.

I know there are a bunch of "undocumented" tweaks in the game and I could swear that Gief's headbutt seems to have a larger hitbox this time around. I've been landing it on things that appear to miss by a mile. Since that move leads to a dizzy pretty fast, that's a definite boost.

Hope this is the last patch. Sad that this won't come out for a while on PC. Oh well.

Lol @ balrog buffs.

I'd imagine it'll be the last hurrah for the game. They won't bother to tweak it forever, especially with SF vs. Tekken and the potential for a new Darkstalkers (and online Alpha 3) still in the cards, too.
This patch apparently has a couple bugs expected to be fixed, but once that's finished, I'd be pretty shocked if we see another update.

Back