Streaming Youtube in HD to tablet – Router Help

craige4u

Weaksauce
I want to stream/surf YouTube videos frm my wifi to my tablet in 720P resolution.
Can I get away with a cheap wifi router OR I have to buy an expensive unit?

Plz recommend me, can the below be okay for my need?

Belkin N300 OR Linksys E1500.

Linksys: Linksys E-Series Product Specs
Belkin: Belkin N300 Wireless N Router F9K1002

PS: Linksys recommends E2500 for streaming multimedia but I will be browsing via youtube, so still it affects me OR I can go ahead with E1500 ?

Any router should be fine imho. I stream HD stuff off my cheap $20 wireless G belkin. If you were trying to stream something like a Blu-ray DVD collection to your tv then I would worry about that, but for normal 720p off of youtube anything should let you do that without much trouble.

Streaming lossless 720p won't even saturate a wireless G connection at 54 Mbps (though actual throughput is ~27 Mbps) so no, you can use whatever crappy router you want.

But take into consideration that if there's a lot of wireless interference, or if you're on overlapping channels with a nearby wireless access point that's very chatty, it could screw with your stream. If you're using wireless n it's a little less likely, either because if you're on 5 GHz band (which the tablet may not support), you're not likely to have overlapping frequencies, or even if you're on 2.4 GHz wireless n, the bandwidth should be sufficient to keep the video flowing even with some minor interference.

Back