Streaming Video in the House

randyc

Best Person
Whats the best to way to Stream a .BIN file, such as my 'legally obtained movies' to other computers in the house.
I know normally I could just load em up in DAEMON Tools and copy the .bin to the local computer, but thats not what I want to do.

I wish to be able to play a file on my headless server running windows 2000 server (Controlled by realVNC) to Winamp or Windows Media Player on other computers in the house.
Any help is extremely appreciated
-randyc

If they are just DivX or XVids why not just pull the avi files from the bins and put them in a directory and share that folder out?

thats an excellent idea...
and probably the one with the most common sense. I have absolutely no idea why I didn't think of that.
I'm going to go and extract those files now.

-randyc :p

VLC is quite awesome.
Mount the BIN on the host and run VLC and run the streaming wizard. Really quite simple.
Then you can use whatever client you want to play it out on the other end.

I do this at my house.
I have a HTPC with a (type of) HD capture card that streams the HD content over my network to what ever computer I may be on. It is quite cool.

That cable capture card is my next idea.
along with a HTPC when we buy our Plasma or whatever.

---

Is it possible to stream the Video to more than one IP address? You always have to have it sent to one.

You can stream it to more than one client, but you will need X amount of more bandwidth for each client.

Edit: Oh and for Standard Definition it takes anywhere from 800KB/sec to 900KB/sec. Donno about HD.
I am having a little problems with HD at the moment because the way I am brining the signal in (1394 from Set Top Box :p ) is kinda acting up

whats the average kiloBYTES per second with Wireless B and how bout G?

I have .11b and it sucks ass, or at least mine does. I can maybe do 50KB/sec.
I upgrading to .11G soon, and in fact created a thread on it. http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=837675
My HTPC is on a local Gigabit network with a router acting as a .11b AP tacked on it. Hopefully when I get .11G I can stream to my PowerBook. I cannot with .11B, but my AP is really shitty. YMMV

Back